Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Throttle cables ? 
    What are other's experiences with the longevity of the throttle cable on their China bike ?

The reason I ask, is because I have just had to order another one, which kind of bothers me, as the last replacement throttle cable has done no more than four miles of normal road use. Ok, my cable is not broken as such, but on refitting it today, connecting up to the throttle tube, a bunch of cable strands sprang up. On looking closely at it, it does appear to be caused by corrosion, the wires have broken free where the cable nipple fixes onto the wire.

I still have the old cable, it came in the box of bits I got with the bike, it seems that one failed in the same place, just below the pressed on aluminium nipple. I also have the remains of another throttle cable, but it has no inner, so I cannot see what caused that one to be removed, but three failed throttle cables so far, ( 3995 miles), I will be watching this next one very carefully and prior to fitment, I will be giving the inner a good soaking in oil to help that galvanised corrosion resistance do it's job.

But could there be more to this I wonder, could these cables be fitted incorrectly, could that be a factor in their failure.

Would anyone like to describe the procedure for fitting a throttle cable, Also does anyone have any tips for extending/enhancing the performance of bowden control cables ?

I always in the past prior to fitment of bowden cables used to submerge the whole assembly in a good quality oil and leave it submerged for an hour to see the end of all the air bubbles. Then drag it out and hang it up overnight to allow excess oil to drip out. Cable inners I could get out I would coat with a grease prior to insertion in the outer, the grease acts to seal the oil in the cable. When the cable is fitted, go at it with the normal lube procedure as per service interval stuff.
    '07 Pioneer Pulse Adrenaline 125, ( XF 125 GY ) Suzuki clone ; K157 FMI engine

2. #2 Re: Throttle cables ? 
    Maybe the cables are fitted incorrectly cuz' I've never heard or had this problem with the QingQi/Suzuki bikes. Does the throttle operate smoothly? Do you have the one or two (push pull) cable assembly?

Also If you have an old cable, I would recommend taking that to match and buy some new one's if you havent' already.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: Throttle cables ? 
    The throttle has only the one cable, it fitting to a slide carb. The action was smooth before I took it all apart to modify the controls.

Modifications in the form of grub screw locking for the mirrors ( high theft area) and repair of gravel rash with epoxy putty, oh and silver bushing for the clutch lever

All the controls repainted, moulding webs smoothed and master cylinder cleaned in an ultrasonic tank ( fab device that, an ultrasonic cleaner, just put clean brake fluid in the tank then immerse the master cylinder in it and turn on for five minutes, I was interested to see the debris cleaned out of it- rust, flakes of paint and another liquid not brake fluid, possibly dirty water)

I only have one throttle cable, but with the remains of the others, I intend to make my own up for next time it breaks, oh, and keep a spare with the bike, taped up under the panels or something.
    '07 Pioneer Pulse Adrenaline 125, ( XF 125 GY ) Suzuki clone ; K157 FMI engine

4. #4 Re: Throttle cables ? 
    You may be putting the barrel in the wrong slot on the throttle tube. Take you cable to a dealership and find a new complete one that matches. If they're cheap, buy a couple!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com