Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Importing bike into Hong Kong? 
    Greetings All,

OK, so I know it is about impossible to import a bike into the mainland. What about Hong Kong? If one were to be a legal resident in Hong Kong under a dependent's visa, is it possible to bring a bike in and plate it? And if it is, can one ride it across the Shenzhen border without any hassles?

Cheers,

Dan K.
    Dan Kearney - Black Hawk, Colorado, USA
    Zongshen RX-3 - Zongshen TT250 - Ural GearUp Hack - Honda CT110
    Ural M70 Retro Solo - BMW R100R - Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    http://dansmotorcycleblog.blogspot.com/

2. #2 Re: Importing bike into Hong Kong? 
    Quote Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post
    Greetings All,

OK, so I know it is about impossible to import a bike into the mainland. What about Hong Kong? If one were to be a legal resident in Hong Kong under a dependent's visa, is it possible to bring a bike in and plate it? And if it is, can one ride it across the Shenzhen border without any hassles?

Cheers,

Dan K.
    One can drive a dual plated car (HK plate + Mainland plate) across the border, not sure if this is true for bikes. However, to obtain dual plates one must fulfill loads of conditions, normally not really possible for the average private person.

To import a bike to HK is easier than to the ML, but to register it is a nightmare and very costly. Although there are only little duties, the rego fees are astronomical so that the price tags of HK and ML are similar.

Sorry for the not so good news
    Andy

3. #3 Re: Importing bike into Hong Kong? 
    +1 what Chinabiker said, impossible for a motorcycle to cross the border. Plenty of good bikes available in Hong Kong, so not much need to import.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

4. #4 Re: Importing bike into Hong Kong? 
    Me thinks Dan wants to re-locate to Panyu and bring his bike in through the back door
    Andy

5. #5 Re: Importing bike into Hong Kong? 
    Forestville California, Nanning Guangzhou
    I just joined up yesterday and already enjoying the great people here.....I am looking to bring my VTR1000 to ride from hong kong to nanning guangzhuo...my wife in from there and would love to have a bike big for a few weeks there......I have seen sidecars BMW's in bejing that people have on this site.....the next trip I take will be 2012 to give me time to really look for a way if not that time then in 2014....look forward to any information.

6. #6 Re: Importing bike into Hong Kong? 
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    Me thinks Dan wants to re-locate to Panyu and bring his bike in through the back door
    In a round-about way, sort of. . .

ZengYuan is in Hong Kong now. She was offered a good position working as the marketing manager for a shipping company based there. Since I've yet to find a permanent replacement for the job I lost back in December, we decided she'd take that job. After what I've read though, it looks like it will be best to just buy a little 250 or something to ride around HK and to buy a JH600 and keep it in Panyu. It's just a 1 1/2 hour train ride from HK to GZ, so I'd just have to keep all my riding gear ready to go there.

Still not a done deal though. I've been filling a contract position for the past two months and it looks like the contract will be extended for a year. I've got an interview next week at the University of Colorado in Boulder (My Alma Mater) for a permanent position. I'm in a good position to win it. If I get that, ZengYuan and I are going to re-evaluate our plans.

"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans. . ."

Cheers,

Dan K.

7. #7 Re: Importing bike into Hong Kong? 
    Quote Originally Posted by VTR1000 View Post
    I just joined up yesterday and already enjoying the great people here.....I am looking to bring my VTR1000 to ride from hong kong to nanning guangzhuo...my wife in from there and would love to have a bike big for a few weeks there......I have seen sidecars BMW's in bejing that people have on this site.....the next trip I take will be 2012 to give me time to really look for a way if not that time then in 2014....look forward to any information.
    Welcome to the group. Seems like anything is possible, but nothing is easy in China. Trying to do things legally appears to be a Sisyphean task!

IMHO you don't need a big bore bike to enjoy riding on the mainland. My experience in China leads me to believe that 250cc's is more than enough to get one around safely. It's easy to get lulled into a false sense of safety when you hit one of the new modern roads. Until the chaos ensues anyway. Not being able to to more than 100kph is a safety feature

Good luck. As they say, where there is a will there is a way. Hope you can work it out.

Cheers,

Dan K.

8. #8 Re: Importing bike into Hong Kong? 
    Forestville California, Nanning Guangzhou
    yes I have been reading all day on the forum and so much info my brain is locking up !!...lol....yes other say a 250 is good.....I could leave it with my brother inlaw anyway....I saw the XTR 250 look nice so I think I will look at that bike see what about....thanks for the 411