Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New Konker KSM200 Owner from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Part #1 
    Greetings fron Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I just wanted to say hello. I just recently purchased a brand new 2009 Konker KSM200. I had the pleasure of assembling the bike and I would like to share the photos of the build.

konker 003..jpgkonker 002..jpgkonker 004..jpgkonker 005..jpg

So here's the pictures of the bike being uncrated. I'm just lucky enough to have a shop that I'm able to do this.

2. #2 Re: New Konker KSM200 Owner from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Part #1 
    So the first thing to go on this bike was the factory turn signals. I replaced them with Lockhart Phillips Aluminum short stalk turn signals. I started with the rear Turn Signals. I unbolted the stock turn signals and mounted the new ones on the original location. The new turn signals came with bullet ends so basically they were plug and play. As for the front turn signals, the stock ones were mounted on a bracket that was attached to the top triple clamp. This bike has a second mounting point located in the middle of the headlamp housing. I had to remove the headlight assembly so I can attach the wiring to the harness that was behind the assembly. As you can see, the newly relocated turn signals cleans up the front.IMGP2784..jpgIMGP2794..jpgIMGP2793..jpgIMGP2795..jpg

3. #3 Re: New Konker KSM200 Owner from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Part #1 
    Second part that I removed was the Secondary Air Injection Kit. I'm not really sure what this thing does but I heard it was installed so the unit can pass Emission Tests. From a number of people I spoke with in regards to this SAI Kit, this system dumps air into the system to help burn out the unspent fuel that is on the system. So by removing this system, I'm not sure that I am gaining anything by it but it does get rid of thr popping noise on decel (popping sound is caused when the unspent fuel is recirculating back into the system and burning off). Now I don't claim to be an expert but so please bare with me as I do not have the real answer as to how the SAI Kit really works. I did find that once the kit was removed, the bike revved better and was smooth while slowing down. So once the kit was removed, I had to plug the front hose with a bolt for now until I can fashion a new cap to cover the front engine plate. Next line I had to plug was the Airbox and then last hole I had to plug was the line coming out of the carb(I used a red plug).

IMGP2788..jpgIMGP2787..jpgIMGP2791..jpgIMGP2790..jpgIMGP2789..jpg

4. #4 Re: New Konker KSM200 Owner from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Part #1 
    So the next mod was to install a Renthal Fatbar Handlebars. The factory handlebar clamps can only accomodate a 7/8" bar and the Renthal's were 1 1/8" so I had to install a set of Moose Handlebar Risers to accomodate the Renthal Fatbars. I painted the handlebars with flat silver to match the bike. The Fatbars look like they belong there.
    IMGP2783..jpgIMGP2785..jpgIMGP2796..jpg

5. #5 Re: New Konker KSM200 Owner from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Part #1 
    Now for the finishing touches, completed all the mods and finishes building the bike. The Rear Drum Brakes works awesome but the front brakes were a bit weak. I re-bled the system and changed the Brake Fluid to a Motul DOT 4 and the difference is night and day. I am going to ride this bike bone stock right up to my First Service and then I will be installing a Slip on Pipe and will Re-jet the carb.
    IMGP2801..jpgIMGP2800..jpgIMGP2804..jpgIMGP2803..jpg
    IMGP2802..jpg

6. #6 Re: New Konker KSM200 Owner from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Part #1 
    All looking good so far mate! You were lucky it came in a plastic bag, my Kinlon came new in a crate (broken) complete with a missing bolts and already rusty in places! If I was more of an expert I would probably think it was terrible but I ride like a monkey on a dog (holding on tight and spitting and cursing) and so far, well I enjoy it! Your bike looks in good nick and finished well, how does it handle?

7. #7 Re: New Konker KSM200 Owner from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Part #1 
    jape, I haven't had the chance to go on a full ride as of yet. I've taken the bike around the block at work for a few times so I've only logged 3 Kms on the the unit. Since the city haven't swept our roads yet, I dare not to go full on. But for the few times that I've pre-tested the bike, I've had the rear sliding coming out of a turn so if you could only see my face, I was sporting a wide grin. Sadly Mother Nature dumped a snow storm earlier on today. We had Rain, Thunder Storm, Blowing winds and Snow all at the same time. So I may have to wait until the weather clears up before I can take the bike on it's maiden voyage. But I think I will be riding this baby like a monkey on a dog. I think it would be a bit of an adjustment coming from a 2006 Kawasaki Z750S to a 2009 Konker KSM200. However, I can see myself sticking my feet a lot more now than before. Cheers Mate!

8. #8 Re: New Konker KSM200 Owner from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Part #1 
    Blimey, snow! I've forgotten what riding in that is like, I'm from UK now in Oz and I live in a colder part, autumn/winter approaching down-under - which means perhaps one day of the season we will have snow where I live but it won't settle. The odd day of black ice to frighten me too.
    I didn't ride for a few years because of a smashed back and getting on this jerkoff little chinabike was a shock, modern bikes however crap still pickup and thrash more than most did in my regular riding days, and it isn't like a pushbike - I found I have forgotten all I ever knew or did instinctively once now that I am on this thing.
    At least with ice you can put your feet down! Here it is mainly dirt roads and gravel and bloody great kangaroos jump out at you which is a hell of a worry. The other day a 'galah' which is a grey and pink parrot flew up from the road side where it had been picking up grit for its crop and smashed into me, I didn't have time to fall off it happened so fast. As I said, riding here is fun!
    Let us know how you go, looks like a good machine, lets hope it is as much fun as it looks?
    btw you ever ridden on spikes? I did once in Scotland, fine until I got back on cleared tarmac, the salting machines had come and gone since I started the ride ... very hairy.

9. #9 Re: New Konker KSM200 Owner from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Part #1 
    Filpmode,

Congrats on the great bike and those new bars look great!

If you put the Konker next to a real DR200 I'd still choose the Konker...even if they cost the same.

The SAI system definitely doesn't give you anything but the decel popping which you've already noticed. The rounds disc shaped doohickey with the vaccume lines running to it is basically like the valve foe the SAI. There's a vac line coming from the carb boot which is used to actuate said doohickey (DH) valve. When the throttle is open the DH valve open up and pulls outside air through the DH valve and then into the exhaust channel. This provides extra, unburnt O2 for the gasses to continue combustion as they travel and leave the exhaust system. I think all it really does is put a higher O2 content in exhaust gasses so a sensor won't read such a high density of undesireable exhaust.

Anyway, lots of people take their SAI system off and suffer no ill effects nless they have mandatory yearly inspections.

Looking forward to hearing your riding impressions of the bike and thanks for the pics!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

10. #10 Re: New Konker KSM200 Owner from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Part #1 
    Crazy Carl, thanks for welcoming me to your forum. Yes the handlebar looks like they really belong there. I've been getting my share of jeers from the guys that I work with picking a chinese bike over the japanese. I must say I am looking forward to riding this bike and I think I'll have way more fun riding this one than any of my previous bikes. I will be posting the play by play mods as soon as I'm done my first service. The good thing about this bike is I have a great rapport with the Konker Motors owner. Allan Louie is the owner over there and I've been keeping him up to date with my build and future mods. I'm posting his link, I hope you don't mind. http://www.konkermotors.com/. I'll keep y'all posted.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast