Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Hello!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Hello! 
    C-Moto Noob
    I live in Costa Rica. I just buy a 2008 xf200 manufactured by Shundong Pioneer group and sold under the name Katana here in the country. I bought it used with 1800k on it and drove it from the capitol city to my home town over 300k away, with NO problems!

Until yesterday...

I just put into second gear and the dashboard shut off and the bike died. Now when I turn the key there are no lights and no reaction from the starter. I try to push start it into second gear an the bike want to start, the lights come on, but then it dies.
    I am very frustrated because it is impossible to get parts in my area and the distributor in the capital has been NO help over the phone. They wont even order me a replacement faring for the gas tank!

Anyone have any suggestions? I will repay this forum with all the experience and information that I can!

2. #2 Re: Hello! 
    Hi and welcome. There are many here more technically aware than me that will help when thye see your post - but this sounds like battery! You say the power comes back with a push start (no kick start?) so obviously the wiring etc. is OK. How good is the lighting with the push? Was it dim? If it came back to fully strong (ie headlights as well), then the battery is OK and you have another problem like a connection loose.

I wouldn't bother with the dealers so far away unless it is still under any warranty.

Any local auto electrician that a friend recommends as trustworthy should be able to check the basics for you quickly and sort this out, meanwhile you can take the battery out and try a charge in it. Good luck.

3. #3 Re: Hello! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for the advice.
    After I bump start it, the dash lights up for a split second to full brightness, then the bike shuts off. As stated before, I turn the ignition and no lights nor reaction from the starter when I press the button. Feels like more than the battery, but I have taken off the panels and seat and all the connections are solid? This is super frustrating, because now I am walking and taking the bus again... the reason I bought a bike in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    Hi and welcome. There are many here more technically aware than me that will help when thye see your post - but this sounds like battery! You say the power comes back with a push start (no kick start?) so obviously the wiring etc. is OK. How good is the lighting with the push? Was it dim? If it came back to fully strong (ie headlights as well), then the battery is OK and you have another problem like a connection loose.

I wouldn't bother with the dealers so far away unless it is still under any warranty.

Any local auto electrician that a friend recommends as trustworthy should be able to check the basics for you quickly and sort this out, meanwhile you can take the battery out and try a charge in it. Good luck.

4. #4 Re: Hello! 
    Have you taken the battery out and tried it alone on an auto headlamp or something like that? My first two showed full charge but only worked on a very small load. Hopefully some more technical people will chip in here. Check the wiring in the kill switch for a loose connector, and also if the bike has a switch on the side-stand, check that too. My Kinlon stand is meant to stop the electrics when down, and indeed a few times I wondered why my bike wouldn't start using the ignition, of course it was still on the stand ... I know that isn't your problem but mine has now broken so it doesn't switch off the circuit at all. Yours may be doing the opposite if it is shorting and bounces free when you bump it. If you don't have any knowledgeable mates or a handy bikeshop that is willing to help inexpensively then the auto electricians can check various components for you easily. especially if you have an electric diagram from the 'net. Try and identify your bike more and see if anyone knows who makes them and other brand names. Is this it?
    http://www.ecvv.com/product/831055.html

5. #5 Re: Hello! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Here is a pic of my bike- I just returne from Nicaragua and had time to fix with it. It is a super moto from katana.bike..jpg

6. #6 Re: Hello! 
    Jacobito,

Your bike is the QingQi 200GY. It is sometimes called "Qlink XF200".

Any problem with the engine can only be three things.

1. Air
    2. Gas
    3. Spark (electric)

Go through each of these, start with the one you think most likely.

I suggest to take a quick look at the spark-plug and have a look at it. That may give you some idea of fuel and spark. Test spark strength. Look at the color of the head and see if it is running too rich.

Test the battery with a voltmeter. Any shop should be able to do this if you do not already have the voltmeter and can do it yourself.

Then test all switches that could turn off the bike. Namely, the ignition, emergency-off (kill) switch, kick-stand switch, and clutch switch. Also, is it possible the clutch switch needs adjusting or cleaning? Maybe take off the clutch lever and check it out. If it spent any long time in rain, this could be a possible problem, especially if it happens when changing gears.

Just some ideas. Sometimes it's as simple as forgeting to turn the kill switch back on! But that's how it goes sometimes.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

7. #7 Re: Hello! 
    C-Moto Noob
    she is runnin strong, thanks for the advice!

8. #8 Re: Hello! 
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobito View Post
    she is runnin strong, thanks for the advice!
    what was the problem?

9. #9 Re: Hello! 
    C-Moto Noob
    a short and a bad ground. bought some tools while i was traveling this week. thanks for your good posts jape!

10. #10 Re: Hello! 
    Well done, glad it is fixed, nice looking bike that. Good luck mate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast