Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Guangzhou Area Bike and License 
    Hello MCM Community!

I recently started working in Zengcheng (about an hour and a half hourside of Guangzhou) in the Guangdong Province.

I have a Valid Z Permit and a Valid California Drivers License.

I am looking for information on how to get a valid chinese motorcycle license as well as information on which bike to buy.

My budget for the bike is between 6000 to 8000 RMB. I have no issue buying used. I am a bigger guy, 6'2 230 so some of the smaller framed 125 bikes just dont work for me. Thanks in advance and looking forward to your input!

I would like to purchase the bike within the next two weeks, as for the license part, I know that may take longer.

2. #2 Re: Guangzhou Area Bike and License 
    Welcome Ritzfactor,

Been through Zengcheng many times on the way to nicer roads in Northern Guangdong. Have you checked with the motor vehicle department in Zhengcheng, are they still issuing MC licenses and plates for Chinese riders? If not, you will probably need to file a temporary residence in another city, then you can buy your bike and get the license there.

Based on your size and budget, the Shineray GY7 is probably your best choice. I would avoid used bikes, unless it's from a reputable source and you are confident the bike is mechanically sound.

Good luck
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: Guangzhou Area Bike and License 
    Hi Ritz, there isn't much choice for 6-8000 RMB above 125cc new. Possibly a Jialing 125 dirt bike with road tires and plates might suit you better than a street 125. There are probably a few bigger Jap bikes with/without plates around, but don't bother, if the bike is in your price range it will have problems, you usually need 15,000+ for a safe mint condition bike.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

4. #4 Re: Guangzhou Area Bike and License 
    There are not many bikes around here to choose from. I have no issue with the 125CC bikes I tried at the local dealership a couple frames were a bit too small for me, but doable. I have never bought a bike on my own before, what should I watch out for when buying a bike from a dealership here?

My current plan is to stick to a brand I recognize (Honda or Suzuki) There are several models here at my price point, hopefully I can find some exact model numbers and have you guys help me make a good decision!

The two models I have ridden and felt comfortable on are the Honda WH125-B and the Haojin HJ125-7B. I have not had a chance to take any of the suzukis or any other brands out for a ride yet.

I will ask about the Shineray, but the report on the site here makes me want to stay away until the build issues are figured out!

As for the Zengcheng DMV, I have no idea where that even is but the people I work with have all told me that as a foreigner you cannot get a motorcycle license, only car license.

by the way:
    ZMC888
    your link for the moto club does not work for me~
    Last edited by Ritzfactor; 04-12-2010 at 10:37 AM.

5. #5 Re: Guangzhou Area Bike and License 
    My current plan is to stick to a brand I recognize (Honda or Suzuki)
    Good idea, these companies produce better quality bikes than the Chinese brands. The Yamaha YBR125 and Sundiro Honda CBF125 are worth checking out, but at the high end of your budget. The Honda WH125-B is basically the Wuyang Honda version of the CBF125, a good reliable bike, so if you like it I'd definitely suggest that.

It is possible to transfer a foreign bike license into a Chinese one, but rules do vary from province to province.

Sorry the lik for my site is blocked as are many outside sites in China, I should remove it from my signature.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

6. #6 Re: Guangzhou Area Bike and License 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Ritzfactor,

welcome to china and the world of "it can't be done" (mei banfa). Usually, when you are told it cannot be done, it means the person you are talking to has never done it before, has no idea how to do it, has probably never even thought about wanting what you want, and perhaps even is overlaying some kind of protective bias (foreigners shouldn't ride motorcycles, foreigners are better off driving cars, foreigners are rich and might confuse people or embarrass themselves if they ride a motorcycle, etc, etc).

I very much doubt that there is a rule or law prohibiting you as a foreigner from having a motorcycle/car license. So politely suggest that you go check it out anyway.

Incidentally, Chinese drivers licenses are valid nationwide, so wherever you get one it will work in Zengcheng.

almost anything CAN be done in China. you just have to find the right banfa.

good luck!
    jkp (20 years in China)

7. #7 Re: Guangzhou Area Bike and License 
    If after a couple personal visits they still tell me it cannot be done here in Zengcheng/Guangzhou/Shenzhen, I will just ask for a couple days off work to go travel to some place and get everything done in a different region. I am rather determined to legally ride here, even if I have to do semi illegal things to do it!

As for registering to get plates, I was told to have the shop I buy the bike form register it for me and receive a stamped letter giving me permission to ride the bike? Or does my Z Visa/Residence Permit allow me to get plates?
    Last edited by Ritzfactor; 04-12-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Z visa/residence permit

8. #8 Re: Guangzhou Area Bike and License 
    What do you mean by a Z visa? If you have a longterm job in China you should have (or get) what's called a Residence Permit for Foreigners in China, which is good for a year and multiple entries. I think the Z visa is just the first step, allowing you to enter and begin the formalities that lead to a Residence Permit. To my knowledge you need a Residence Permit to legally own a vehicle here. Registration in your own name is complicated, again because its rare for a foreigner to do so, and because, while the driver's license is purportedly standardized nationwide, motorcycle ownership is subject to a wide range of local regulations. Some cities have flat-out bans on motorcycles, and bikes over 125cc are subject to more restrictions than scooters and other smaller bikes.

My suggestion is to press for a legal solution before you start thinking of quasi or extralegal solutions. Things can be done here, but not always in a straightforward or obvious way.

cheers
    jkp

9. #9 Re: Guangzhou Area Bike and License 
    Sorry, I have a Z Visa and the Residence permit inside my passport. I should make sure to clarify this in the future.

10. #10 Re: Guangzhou Area Bike and License 
    so you are ready to rock and roll! don't take "no" (or "mei banfa") for an answer!

cheers
    jkp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast