Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 basic instruction 
    I have to admit after years of riding that coming back to this after a decade or more out from injury I am still a bungling fool, constantly doing the wrong thing. Both on the bike and off it with tools but now a friend a thousand km away wants me to teach her and her older kids (no dad around) .... that will be difficult enough over the phone (she lives very remote) so I wondered what dvd's or even books people may recommend for beginners, something that doesn't assume any pre-existing knowledge. Surprising little on the 'net that workd from rock bottom up. Both riding and mechanical.

I can probably explain things to her if she is working from such a reference point. But she has asked things like what are the modern coloured clothes in the mags made of, are they protective (I said no, get armour), why do MX riders use goggles not visors, how do you get a hand-grip off, how do you change a tyre and MUCH more in 20 mins phone call. I was exhausted, she didn't even know what a socket was a s compared to a spanner ... but she is willing to give it a go for the older kids. They have got a dirt bikes (mongrel I think, unidentified so far) from relatives, but those rellies just some in the shed and know nothing about bikes. The nearest 'bike shop would be a couple of hours away so I thought a DVD or two and maybe books would help them. I have suggested they do a rebuild of the best one after identifying makes and checking compression etc. ( I can do that much over the phone and get a few pics too.) as that will familaris ethe kids. They are home-schooled so it will work well that way.

2. #2 Re: basic instruction 
    I'd take a gander at Proficient Motorcycling by Dave Hough.

Has gotten good reviews and covers a wide range of topics.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/books/pr...torcycling.htm

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com