Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Headlight goes out when wheel is turned. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Took my first night ride, and low and behold my headlights goes out when I turn the wheel to the right as far as it will go. THe lights come back on when the wheel is straightened.

I looked at the breakdown and I can get to the wiring, is there anything more specific I could look for other than loose connections?

Thanks for your help, I know someone has some good info that will make this an easier fix.

Thanks a bunch.
    Di

The scooter is a Phantom, motobravo, Leike manufacturer 2008 model
    Last edited by dianageorgina; 04-16-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added bike

2. #2 Re: Headlight goes out when wheel is turned. 
    Sounds like it should be just loose connections. When, found, see if you can crimp the female end slightly to hold the male plug better then tape it up to be sure.

Hmm..wondering here if a lock-tight type of compound is made for electical connections just to help them stick together better.

3. #3 Re: Headlight goes out when wheel is turned. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey thanks for weighing in Dave. I'm gonna tackle it this weekend.

Di

4. #4 Re: Headlight goes out when wheel is turned. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I got a lot of work done on my scooter this week. It's at 535 miles and this is what I've done. The headlight situation finally came to a bifurcation point and chaos ensued. No power when the key is turned. Electrical is my strong suit and I like it. I start at the battery and check the fuse. Fuse is blown. I replace fuse. Bike runs. Blows fuse again. I remove the front cover and low and behold I find hanging bare wires. I save the wiring harness, and then my neighbor, a motorcycle guy, says "come here, look at this." The wiring harness was wearing in two places. I cover those with conduit and rebundle all wires and take the bind out of it. Steering is much improved.

This morning I replaced all vacumn lines and idling is much improved.

I purchased this scooter from a small dealer going out of business. I got it for one third of retail. His eighteen year old son did the dealer prep on this scooter. The problems I've had experienced can be traced to poor oversight, as opposed to any manufacturing problems.

Overall, I'm enjoying my first chinese scooter. It challenges me in a good way.

5. #5 Re: Headlight goes out when wheel is turned. 
    There you go! A bit of looking and thinking and fixing and you are on your way, safer and happier! A different feeling now to when the first fault kicks you in the guts. Well done.

It took me five weeks of intensive self determination to get my car going recently - in other words forcing myself to stay calm, not panic, not get the 20 pound fixing tool out, just look and think and then look and think again. Finally after using all the logic up and refusing all the very expensive options suggested by professional mechanics I replaced a couple of parts that looked worn - to no avail. Imagine the feeling then. I felt gutted as I am going through a 'broke' phase and not in any position to buy even a junker at the moment. But again I went and looked and finally found (through fortunate accident) that when a particular set of wires was wiggled at a particular time, the car worked! Fortune comes through persistence. Still the experts told me it was going to cost me a lot to fix and replace as this was a complicated setup but I used commonsense and managed a two dollar fix ... not perfect but functional. Well that is me, not you, sorry, and I don't want to seem patronising but a LOT of people get ripped off by mechanics and dealers, both male and female. If you have the determination to look and play your confidence grows immensely. You won't always win and sometimes you have no choice but to pay up, however you have saved yourself a fair bit of grief, diagnosis costs, labour costs, and fixed it yourself! That is priceless.

6. #6 Re: Headlight goes out when wheel is turned. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Right on.

7. #7 Re: Headlight goes out when wheel is turned. 
    There is something loose in the wiring department somewhere. Try the switches as the wires can tug a tad when ya turn. I hate elec probs cos they're sooooo tedious. So's it's fairing off and be methodical and take ya time. You'll find it. Please post when ya do. :-)
    '09 Huoniao (Firebird) HN125-8 motorcycle [eBay bike-in-a-box]
    Aprilia SR50 LC Racing scoot

8. #8 Re: Headlight goes out when wheel is turned. 
    Riding in Honduras C.A.
    dianageorgina, I had a similar problem, just in my case the motor turn off.

I found that the steering column chafe the wires and that made a shortcut that turn off the engine. So start looking for that before grabing a voltimeter (I start with the voltimeter and didn't find anything couse that moment no shortcut going on)

good luck.
    Qingqi 200 Supermotard. (Genesis) Mods Until now:Rised Handelbar with stock risers and a lot of washers. Almost 10cm. Pillion handles eliminated and enduro model rack puted in place with turn signals just ziptied to it. Abominable Top Box over rack! Kickstarter removed for comfort (now inside TopBox). PCV pipe bolted to subframe holding my tools. Acerbis supermoto handlebar protector. Turnsignals bolted to the Abominable Top Box base.

9. #9 Re: Headlight goes out when wheel is turned. 
    Sometimes the wiring under the scooter plastics is a little tight and can cause these kinds of problems. Take the plastics apart carefully and see if there isn't any extra slack to give!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

10. #10 Re: Headlight goes out when wheel is turned. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for all the tips. But oh my god I started to change the oil today and the spring is so tight i can't get the plug screwed back in. So I'm working the spring trying to make it less stiff. That's all I can think of right now. My smart ass neighbor said "now I bet you wish you could curse in chinese." haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast