Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitteeinbit View Post
    It's for reading while on the road! lol.

Weird, normal cruising is probably 70-75 for mine and though I didn't count the teeth on the rear sprocket I'm 99% sure it's stock. WIth GPS I recorded maybe 85 at 8000RPM. At around 6000-7000 it did 70-75. But I like to keep it in the 6-7k range so I'm cruising at around 70 with a lot of kit (GPS as speedo is broken). That's with kit on but even then, having more oomph would be nice. And like you say the brakes are actually quite good, better than the old XR/Baja rentals I used to ride on. Or rather the brakes feel more controlled.

I don't expect I'll be able to find spares here in Cambodia (actually, it's 100% certain that there are no spares here as I'm the only Shineray owner here), but the locals can usually make something that'll at the very least be good enough to get you to a bed and a meal if on the road. In the capital they have some decent bike shops that can probably make stuff happen but spare parts would probably be expensive to order from China. Taxed per kilo I believe. But same as China I guess, a lot of them are just grease monkeys and they'll say they know how to do something fo fear of losing face, then just tinker around not knowing what the hell they're doing. I'm just hoping Honda parts can be used or modified fairly cheaply to fit the Shineray. I guess time will tell.I'm going on a big trip in maybe 2 weeks (1000km+), will be doing lot's of off-road as well. If anything happens I'll post about it here I guess. It's only a matter of time before important parts are needed (it's got maybe 10-12k I figure, which isn't much but still...). I hope the time comes later rather than sooner but I'll post about my experiences re:parts here if and when that time comes.

DO you still own a bike Slabo? What kind? I'm using the Shineray a bit as a daily driver though I intended to keep it mostly for big rides. Suzuki Smash as a small city bike.
    good luck with the old shineray. I still own the same bike to my name in China, though I'm not using it, and im not sure if it's still where i left it in the garage.

2. #32 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Did you ever change the gearing? I'm going on a 10-day trip this weekend so took it to a shop for an oil change and general look through and asked about changing the sprockets. They're worn so figured I should change both of them as well as the chain. The guy said he could change it to a 46. But going from 56-46 seems like a big change. I plan on mostly driving small dirt roads and will be heading into mountains and very sandy/muddy terrain. Don't want to lose too much low-end. And I don't care for driving fast so I'm kind of wary about the gearing. I also like having the extra acceleration for city driving. As it I pass just about everyone and on highways drive faster than most too. Maybe the tires (Michelins, goodbut not available here and out of my budget) are part of the equation. I'm also getting semi-knobbys put on but will keep the Michelins as I think they still have some life to them and are great for road use (hardly any vibrations and getting nice speed).

Worried about near knobbys might just be noisy on pavement and reduce any benefits regarding top speed. But I don't think the guy had anything bigger than 46. Did you ever change the rear sprocket? Is the acceleration/top-speed difference quite noticeable? Did it make a big difference in off-road performance?

3. #33 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitteeinbit View Post
    Did you ever change the gearing? I'm going on a 10-day trip this weekend so took it to a shop for an oil change and general look through and asked about changing the sprockets. They're worn so figured I should change both of them as well as the chain. The guy said he could change it to a 46. But going from 56-46 seems like a big change. I plan on mostly driving small dirt roads and will be heading into mountains and very sandy/muddy terrain. Don't want to lose too much low-end. And I don't care for driving fast so I'm kind of wary about the gearing. I also like having the extra acceleration for city driving. As it I pass just about everyone and on highways drive faster than most too. Maybe the tires (Michelins, goodbut not available here and out of my budget) are part of the equation. I'm also getting semi-knobbys put on but will keep the Michelins as I think they still have some life to them and are great for road use (hardly any vibrations and getting nice speed).

Worried about near knobbys might just be noisy on pavement and reduce any benefits regarding top speed. But I don't think the guy had anything bigger than 46. Did you ever change the rear sprocket? Is the acceleration/top-speed difference quite noticeable? Did it make a big difference in off-road performance?
    I did change the sprocket to a 46 tooth. After that, top speed went up to a comfortable 88km/h. I didn't loose much on the lower end, but I while later the second gear lost a few teeth and I had to rebuild the engine with a new second gear. If you're happy with the speed you're getting out of it, I'd say stick with the original gearing.

Have a look at this post >> http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...vibrator/page2

4. #34 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Cheers. I should proably go through all your old posts! Interesting stuff. I was somewhat worried but yesterday I picked up the bike at the shop. They changed it for a 49 teeth rear sprocket and the front (which they said had 17 teeth?) was also switched. I forget what they said they put in the front. I think 14? Damnm, I'll try to ask them tomorrow. They lost my old front sprocket while going to the market, so I don't know what stock is lol. But the switch seems balanced so I shouldn't lose anything.

First impressions: muuuuuch smoother. The gear transitions seem much better, though that might be from lubing the cable and a general service as well (though my brakes seem a lot less responsive, they said it was because they had washed it but even today after some riding they feel much looser than before). Either way it was a pleasant surprise: no machining needed, they apparently went to a market and found stuff that worked. I speak khmer fluently but it's still a big hassle going to markets sweating your ass off asking left an right for info. Took them a few hours to do a full service, change to knobby tires and replace the sprockets/chain. Amazing. Rode it a bit yesterday and today and it feels great. I'm now doing probably 70km/h while at 4000rpm, ever so slightly lower rpm range as before, The real test will be this weekend on the open roads. Acceleration is better though I suspect that's just tightening the throttle cable and lubing it up nicely. Let's just say the Shineray was due for a check up. Happy it wasn't a 46 teeth as they had originally said as I still want some low-end.

Does this sproket look done to you guys? It looked mighty sharp with the chain on but now once off doesn't look so bad. Might be wrong though. Mechanic estimated I would have a problem in 450-500km, which might be a slight exaggeration but either way I think it has around 10k on it so definitely not a bad idea to switch (second pic shows a bit of a wavy pattern). Cost was 46$ for the chain and front/rear sprockets. I still have the same acceleration and though I haven't had a chance to test the top speed in the city, it feels like I might get a bit more. Time will tell when I head to the mountains and a bit of off-road (as well as highways) this weekend. Doing a 10-day ride so I'll get to see her across different terrain. I'm relatively inexperienced with hardcore trail riding but should be interesting to see her responsivenes with the new setup (will probably be doing ~500km of off-road with the rest being 75% dirt roads and 25% paved. Maybe 2000km+ in all. I'll keep this updated in case anyone ever stumbles on this thread in the future (though they've stopped making them, haha).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234