Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
    http://www.yuasa.com.cn/English/main.asp | http://www.tongyeebattery.com.cn/en/
    -
    Btw: Pls photo the DEAD battery's brand when installing new battery.
    Thanks for the tip, i was looking for Yuasa, Rocket or Varta..
    But I was in a pinch, was heading up for a two days trip camping and just did not have enough time to shop around. Found a dry-type battery at a motorcycle shop on the way, cost 120 rmb. Changed the spark plug for another 20 rmb... Did not take a picture of either! I'll try to find the battery again next time i go there.

2. #22 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersignet View Post
    I sold my GY-7 to a good friend of mine because I won't be able to ride it this summer. He's planning on taking it up through inner-mongollia this summer. The gearing from the factory is pretty bad. 1st and 2nd gear are pretty much usless on all but the steepest inclines. We dropped to a 46 tooth sprocket on the rear and the bike is doing much better around town and is getting a little bit more top end, but the bike isn't near the sweetspot yet. It's going to take some trail and error to get it right. I'd be tempted to try ChinaVs Galaxy 230 gearing on the bike as the engines are basically the same.

Make sure you tighten all of the bolts... My first GY7 didn't vibrate badly, but maybe that's because all the vibs were getting sucked up by the tripple clamp. My second vibrated, but after tightening up all the bolts and changin the rear engine mount bolt and sprocket it is a lot better
    Hi Supersignet,
    Still around? What sprockets did you change to? I'm planning another long trip and I'd like to sort out the gearing on my bike. Any advice on where you got your gears? I'm heading out to the local bike market tomorrow, not hoping for much though. If not, I'll get something from Taobao.

3. #23 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Just curious if anyone else has one of these. Would be interested in exchanging info regarding repairs, any issues. I bought mine used and it runs great. The bike was ridden from China down to SEA. Would love to get some manuals or stuff like that. Having a thread dedicated to these would be cool, though owners seem to be few and far apart.

4. #24 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    hi, sorry for the late reply, haven't been active on this forum lately. There's this shop manual of the Honda XL and similar here >> http://www.motomanual.com.ar/index.p...ileinfo&id=724

It's in Spanish, and you have to register to download it. Also, I'll upload the rest of the files I have, like parts list and other shop manuals.

5. #25 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for that slabo. I guess I'll have to brushup on my Spanish, lol. Well better than no copy at all, downloaded it and seems great. Would appreciate anything else you have. I'be actually got Pete's bike, runs fine though as everyone knows, these bikes are underpowered but for the SEA countryside, it suits me fine because doing anything above 100 increases your chances of dying significantly, lol. Kids on the road, huge potholes, chickens/cows, etc. Cruising at 75-85 is fine with me. Gives me more reaction time to look around. Did you have trouble with maintenance on your bike? The guys here can do pretty much anything but I've kinda been wondering about spares, how repairs will go etc. Haven't had anything major yet so don't know how many Honda parts are actually interchangeable.

6. #26 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    http://www.4shared.com/office/CrYqvg...R_modifie.html -Same bore & stroke BUT lacking some pages.

7. #27 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitteeinbit View Post
    Thanks for that slabo. I guess I'll have to brushup on my Spanish, lol. Well better than no copy at all, downloaded it and seems great. Would appreciate anything else you have. I'be actually got Pete's bike, runs fine though as everyone knows, these bikes are underpowered but for the SEA countryside, it suits me fine because doing anything above 100 increases your chances of dying significantly, lol. Kids on the road, huge potholes, chickens/cows, etc. Cruising at 75-85 is fine with me. Gives me more reaction time to look around. Did you have trouble with maintenance on your bike? The guys here can do pretty much anything but I've kinda been wondering about spares, how repairs will go etc. Haven't had anything major yet so don't know how many Honda parts are actually interchangeable.
    absolutely right about speed limit on this bike. Stock, it did a max of 65 km/h according to GPS.. And I wondered why little scooters were passing me all the time. when I changed to smaller sprocket I got a decent cruising speed of 88km/h, like you, I was happy with that with all my gear and stuff on the bike. At that speed, i've got plenty of time to dodge chickens and kids or whatever wants to run across country roads.

the good thing about it, it's got good brakes, and I never saw a bit of rust on the bike eventhough I went through a lot of rain.

Maintenance ? haha... that's a nice joke for all the mechanics I met in Yunnan and Szechuan. If it turns, it's ok. Maybe some burnt out motor oil on your muddy chain, change of oil .. anything else, I had to fight to get anything done.

The nice thing is that the bike is super simple. But I had a hard time finding some parts, I remember I couldn't find a rear sprocket, had to grind a similar one to fit my hub.

I zipped and uploaded the folder I have on the long march, and the bike it's copied from, XL185 and it's more modern equivalent, XL200 .. link here >> http://www.filedropper.com/shinerayxy200-gy7

8. #28 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    Slabo, one question: I understand the purpose of each document from the archive which is uploaded, except one - "The Romance of the Swag", by Henry Lawson. What am I missing?
    Last edited by Zorge; 11-12-2012 at 07:28 AM.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

9. #29 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    It's for reading while on the road! lol.

Weird, normal cruising is probably 70-75 for mine and though I didn't count the teeth on the rear sprocket I'm 99% sure it's stock. WIth GPS I recorded maybe 85 at 8000RPM. At around 6000-7000 it did 70-75. But I like to keep it in the 6-7k range so I'm cruising at around 70 with a lot of kit (GPS as speedo is broken). That's with kit on but even then, having more oomph would be nice. And like you say the brakes are actually quite good, better than the old XR/Baja rentals I used to ride on. Or rather the brakes feel more controlled.

I don't expect I'll be able to find spares here in Cambodia (actually, it's 100% certain that there are no spares here as I'm the only Shineray owner here), but the locals can usually make something that'll at the very least be good enough to get you to a bed and a meal if on the road. In the capital they have some decent bike shops that can probably make stuff happen but spare parts would probably be expensive to order from China. Taxed per kilo I believe. But same as China I guess, a lot of them are just grease monkeys and they'll say they know how to do something fo fear of losing face, then just tinker around not knowing what the hell they're doing. I'm just hoping Honda parts can be used or modified fairly cheaply to fit the Shineray. I guess time will tell.I'm going on a big trip in maybe 2 weeks (1000km+), will be doing lot's of off-road as well. If anything happens I'll post about it here I guess. It's only a matter of time before important parts are needed (it's got maybe 10-12k I figure, which isn't much but still...). I hope the time comes later rather than sooner but I'll post about my experiences re:parts here if and when that time comes.

DO you still own a bike Slabo? What kind? I'm using the Shineray a bit as a daily driver though I intended to keep it mostly for big rides. Suzuki Smash as a small city bike.

10. #30 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    Slabo, one question: I understand the purpose of each document from the archive which is uploaded, except one - "The Romance of the Swag", by Henry Lawson. What am I missing?
    haha, sorry The Romance of the Swag was saved to the folder by mistake. I was looking for an alternative to carrying a sleeping bag and a tent, came and found something called the Austrailain swag, looked like a practical easy solution for one-person shelter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast