Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Hello,
    I just got my Long March two days ago. I had a cruiser 3 years ago, never a thumper before. I had no idea it would be such fun. Roads? Who needs roads..

Electric cables were not insulated. Amalgam tape.

Bike vibrates too much if i reach 80km/h. How to fix this ? I've seen some bikes put heavy weight on the bar end to make it heavier, does that work?
    Also, I've been told that i should not be riding over 60km/h for the breakin period, and i've read there is no such thing as break-in period on modern engines . I'm going easy on it for now.

No fuel meter, but tank has reserve, so i get a warning before im completely empty. Duel tank does not have a lock, and i don't think it's possible to fix this. Any ideas?

New steering clamp is different than the original that broke with Supersignet and different that the redesigned one posted here Hope this one does not break.

Also, the choke lever has three positions, i don't which is what. Any ideas?
    Road tires felt weird for the first few rides. I could feel the bike wobble too much. But it's the first time i've had a dirt bike. Getting used to it now, i still have to try to breaking hard on some empty road and see if i can handle the bike comfortably.
    Last edited by slabo; 04-18-2010 at 03:52 AM.

2. #2 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Anyone else has this bike? What cruising speed are you getting? I am comfortable at 70 km/h and if i try to go faster the bike vibrates too much i cannot hold on anymore. At 80, the rpm shows 5k on flat road.
    Any suggestions? I'd like to get 100 or 90 km/h.
    Other than this issue, im really happy with the bike. Climbs mountains easily, and it is really fun off road. Also, i dont mind potholes or speed bumps at all; barely notice i went over them.

3. #3 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    Looks like a great for doing china!

How many cc is the dog?

4. #4 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    I'd be worried about the vibration, no modern bike should vibrate that badly. Where do you feel it? At particular revs or does it grow with speed? Front end or back, through the bars mainly or through the frame from the engine? I know you may have done it already but check the engine mountings first and look at obvious things like is chain correct size!. Many things can cause vibration.

I'd have a good look at the alignment and connection of all running parts and the suspension too (are the shocks low on oil?), maybe a bolt out of line on rear or wheel rubbing, something like that.

We need to know more about what and when you feel the vibes. Does it vibrate when revved but stationary etc. Under acceleration or deceleration or both? What happens when you (carefully) pull in the clutch at speed (this isolates engine).

It could be many things like steering head not tightened up enough, bad rubber pattern on a tyre, even wrong pressures, wheel rims unbalanced, an engine mount cracked, sprockets and wheel bearings loose, right down to nasty things like crank shaft. Sorry not to help much but need more info. Be careful for a while and tell the dealers if it isn't something obvious.

After all that is sorted, you can also get rubber mounted foot pedals!

5. #5 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Felix, thanks. I just love getting lost on this bike. Dog (Milo) eats as much as i do. I think his stomach is ~200cc, heart 50cc.
    Vibrations I mostly feel through the grips. Also if i close my knees around the gas tank. Vibrations only get really bad if I reach 80 km/h. Then i don't feel confident going any faster. I can feel the vibrations die momentarily if i pull the clutch, just until I'm in gear again. But I can check again tomorrow, I'll keep the clutch closed and see if it rolls smoothly. I will also try to rev it while stationary, in neutral or with clutch pulled?
    I should mention that it's a bit smother now than it was first 200-300km. So far I've done 650km.
    Dealer says it vibrates because of the big rear sprocket, he says bike is not made for road use. I don't buy that Chinese way of trying to me. I don't want to change the rear sprocket because I really like how the bike handles off road; i don't think it will behave the same with a smaller one. Bike is brand new from the oven, nothing was obviously broken, but i will have a closer look at engine mount tomorrow. The only odd sound is my keys rattling.
    Thanks for the quick reply, i'll update tomorrow.

6. #6 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    Slabo,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the GY7, nice to see you racking up the miles quickly.

About the vibration.... that's the way they are. I rode Supersignets GY7 last spring and I couldn't get over how much it vibrated above 75kph. The dealer is correct, the bike is not geared correctly. Ninety percent of the bikes sold here do not have the correct gearing for their intended use. Play with the sprockets, they are a cheap easy fix to the problem. If there's enough space up front, try going up one tooth.

Enjoy your bike!

Cheers
    ChinaV

7. #7 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    tightened a few bolts and nuts, bike ran smoother. Also put some more air in the tires. Still vibrates, but not as bad. A friend of mine suggested swapping the aluminum handle bars to steel or carbon fiber. I'll consider that after the break-in period.
    Anyone knows what are the settings for the choke on this bike? They don't mention anything in the English user manual.

I would like higher cruising speed on the highway. So i have to either change to bigger in front(one tooth bigger), or smaller (how much smaller?) in he back. Not sure what is better in my case. Any advice?
    Not sure there is room to go one tooth bigger on the front.

Picture of the rear sproket.

8. #8 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    Regarding the choke: up to choke, down to open. But i really have no idea which position for half open....

Sprockets: i'm no guru so you may want to wait for better advice from some of the more experienced forum members, but it sure does look tight for an extra tooth up front. What are your current sprockets? That might help to guess how many teeth to remove from the rear.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong please, but i think this is how to work out the change that a new sprocket will make:
    Say at the moment you've 47 teeth and you want to switch to, say, 41 or something. Also let's take an initial speed of 70kph at a given RPM. You do:

47/41=1.146

70*1.146=80.244

So at the same RPM in the same gear, your new speed will be 80.

This method doesn't say what will happen to your acceleration though, just speed.

9. #9 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Regarding the choke: up to choke, down to open. But i really have no idea which position for half open....
    So its open or closed, but there are three settings. there is a middle setting, why?
    I'll check how big the rear sprocket is and post back.
    Also front mud guard is pretty useless, I saw another of Shineray's offroad bikes has a quarter mud guard hanging separately and lower than the first. Any idea where to get those? Dealer has no idea. I'll try to remember to take my camera next time im there.
    Thanks for tuning in. Good luck with your next bike felix.

10. #10 Re: My new Long March, XY200GY-7 
    Senior C-Moto Guru

WLJF 56-428. I think that means that the sproket is 56 tooth, and it uses a 428 chain, what is a 428 chain?
    Anyone replaced the seat on this bike? I think am developing ass calluses. maybe that's another way to make the seat comfortable.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast