Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Highways, tollbooths and motorcycles in China 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    ...the sneak in method, be sure to know where the big toll gates are (the ones blocking the whole road across) and avoid those by exiting one exit before (or at a gas station). Re-sneak after the big toll gate. Repeat procedure as often as necessary I believe they are still waiting for me at some big toll gates
    Andy, this is a very neat trick. Can't wait to try.

You'd think the tolls alone would be plenty to keep farmers and their scythes off the expressways, so clearly the real explanation for not allowing recreational riders through the tollgates has to do with misconceptions about motorcycling. There are still so few recreational riders, a lot of people in China simply cannot understand why anyone would want to ride one of those "farm vehicles." Here in Shanghai, where status is paramount, I cannot tell you how many times I've been told, "You are the boss. You should have a car -- and a driver." A cheap thrill for me: Arriving for a meeting or dinner at a 5-star hotel on my bicycle and asking for valet parking. I won't do that on my motorbike, for fear of the valet dropping it, but I know most of the valets can handle a push bike! I like the idea of my 3-speed nestled in between the Maseratis and Ferraris in the valet lot.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #12 Re: Highways, tollbooths and motorcycles in China 
    I think the reasons for not allowing bikes on expressways are many:

1. Most people think cars are better.
    2. Most bikes are not insured.
    3. Many do not have registration or have fake registration.
    4. Many do not have licenses.
    5. Many do not have helmets or protective clothing.
    6. Many have not been government tested periodically.
    7. Motorcyclists never pay tolls on highways.
    8. Many riders never ride over 70 km/h.
    9. Cops only stop people on intersections in cities to make easy money and never enforce road rules in 99% of other areas as it is 'too difficult'.
    10. Fines are much lower for bikes than cars.
    11. China doesn't have a famous enough internationally dominant motorcycle brand.

I've discussed this before, but China needs a new kind of plate maybe another color (white on blue?) which costs more than the regular yellow one maybe 600-1000 RMB issued only to bikes over a certain size. With this plate people could then use expressways, use main roads not cycle lanes and fill up at gas stations from the pump. Of course on the other hand you'd need to pay fines at car levels. There really needs to be something to distinguish legal BMWs, Harleys and R1s etc from peasant farmers on 100cc step thu-s carrying 4 people, farm equipment, with no insurance, helmets, registration etc.

This isn't a dream! It could work because the government and police could make more money!

3. #13 Re: Highways, tollbooths and motorcycles in China 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Triple Eight,

Your analysis is sound and thorough, and your prescription -- a new class of plate -- is surely the right approach. Hopefully, with BMW, HD, Ducati and Benelli in the market, and growing numbers of Chinese big(ger) bore bikes like Jialing entering the market and, in turn, entering public consciousness, we'll see a coalition of interest groups coalescing into a lobbying force that can propose these ideas. China is still far from being a place where interest groups can (legally) form and influence policy, but that age is indeed dawning as we speak. I don't want to hold my breath for these changes, but I do think they are coming. There probably already is a Chinese Association of Motorcycle Manufacturers, and once the international players get seats at that table, it will become a more effective lobbying force, improving conditions for everyone.

One hopes so, anyway...
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12