Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Chengdu Earth Quake 2008... 
    This is a crazy year for China folks! Besides the 4 meter cracks in my walls everything is fine so far. Death toll as of now is 8000 and there's no way to contact or reach the people at the epicenter.

Despite the bad news, people in the city are handling it well. Just outside my complex, the streets are lined with people sleeping outside!

Some people set up umbrella lean-to's...

While other's opt for more complete protection fromt the mosquitoes by setting up tents next to their cars...

Which is what we've decided to do...but a little closer to home.

Meanwhile, back out in the streets, the locals are snuggling in together ready for sleep...

Other, still buzzing from excitement, are enjoying the experience. It reminds me of the power outtage in NE USA when the people of New York City actually came outside and became friendly with each other, sharing beer and BBQ.

What New York didn't have was, of course pick up street games of Ma Jong!

Although China has it's faults at times, I have to say that this is one super cool aspect of the culture. There will be hundreds of thousands of people sleeping in the streets tonight and making the best of it highlighting one of the most noble features of the human race: good will and comeraderie in the face of disaster!

Sleep tight everyone!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Planning World Domination Brain's Avatar
    Good to hear that you have survived with relatively minor damage. Thanks for the photos and post - it is good to see what is happening on the ground directly and not from the filtered US media soundbites.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    good will and comeraderie in the face of disaster!
    As it was after the quakes I experienced.......but unfortunately they recover.

Be safe.

Yeah like the cheesy overplayed irritating ear splitting pop song whines....

"Noothing lasst foreeeverr!" :yawn:

It's still nice to have it around, even if only once in a while. :thumbup:

CC

Carl it is good to hear you are ok, hopefully the count won't rise too much more, and too many people won't be trapped in rubble and terrible conditions for long.

4:55AM and had a slight tremor. I can feel it through my computer chair in in my stomach. It may stay like this for up to a week. I hope the death tolls don't rise, but unfortunately, that is rarely the case with these types of disasters in China.

Seriously, don't take anything for granted.

CC

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Carl it is good to hear you are ok, hopefully the count won't rise too much more, and too many people won't be trapped in rubble and terrible conditions for long.

I hope that they will be able to deploy emergency teams quickly.

All the best Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I hope that they will be able to deploy emergency teams quickly.

All the best Carl
    Me too, the death toll keeps going up and up. Close to 9000 already and according to the news there are lots more aftershocks coming

4:55AM and had a slight tremor. I can feel it through my computer chair in in my stomach. It may stay like this for up to a week. I hope the death tolls don't rise, but unfortunately, that is rarely the case with these types of disasters in China.

CC
    Looks like a lot of the mountain roads are out and even helicopters and army mountaineers are having trouble getting through the mountains. I hope this doesn't cause too much trouble for your upcoming trip.

CC
    Oh I know, like I said though, that's my hopes for that... Terrible tragedy... Hopefully they can get help in there with the damaged roads...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/...art-china.html
    If Burma's reclusive military regime doesn't want Canada's Disaster Assistance Response Team, China likely does, a Chinese-Canadian group says.

The Chinese Canadian National Council is urging Ottawa to offer the rapidly deployable military team to help China in the wake of a massive earthquake that struck Monday, toppling buildings, killing thousands and trapping more under rubble. But a foreign affairs spokesman said so far, China has not requested any type of assistance from Canada.

"I'm not asking Canada to ditch Burma," said Victor Wong, the council's executive director. "However, the government of Burma so far has refused aid from the outside world.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast