Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Ni hao from Zhoushan! 
    For a bit more than two months now I've been living in China and will probably spend here a year. Originally from Kiev, Ukraine.
    Though I'm not much of a motorcycle rider yet I really hope I'll become one soon but despite not having a bike I have 4 years of experience riding 50cc scooters. I know how that may sound, but hey, it has 2 wheels and an engine. Did some trips around Ukraine and the latest one was last summer for around 2500km. There's actually a short video here:

However I'm not sure how many of you will be able to watch it as I guess most of users here are in China.

Ok, so the main reason I'm here is that I'm thinking of buying a motorcycle somewhere in the next few months, that depends on when I'll get the license issues solved and enough money saved. But I'll be buying a bike not for just riding around the island while I'm living here. My plan is to make it all the way home next year. Some say that I'm starting to plan way to early, but since my experience is limited and my budget is going to be really tight I think it's just about the time to start.

As I just started thinking I don't have any exact plans. But the whole trip would be somewhere between 3 and 6 months depending on the budget and the route I'll choose. So far I'm considering of buying either a Suzuki gn125 or Yamaha YBR125. Some of you may say they are not powerful or fast enough so I'm open to suggestions however as long as they stay 125-150cc.

Oh, and if there's by any chance someone close to the place I live who would be also glad to meet fellow laowai - let me know as I don't get much communication here and the level of locals' English apart from "Hello!" is very-very poor, so I can't count on them.

Thanks for your attention,
    Alex
    Last edited by cj_zhoushan; 04-20-2010 at 12:04 PM.

2. #2 Re: Ni hao from Zhoushan! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cj_zhoushan View Post
    For a bit more than two months now I've been living in China and will probably spend here a year. Originally from Kiev, Ukraine.
    Though I'm not much of a motorcycle rider yet I really hope I'll become one soon but despite not having a bike I have 4 years of experience riding 50cc scooters. I know how that may sound, but hey, it has 2 wheels and an engine. Did some trips around Ukraine and the latest one was last summer for around 2500km. There's actually a short video here:

However I'm not sure how many of you will be able to watch it as I guess most of users here are in China.

Ok, so the main reason I'm here is that I'm thinking of buying a motorcycle somewhere in the next few months, that depends on when I'll get the license issues solved and enough money saved. But I'll be buying a bike not for just riding around the island while I'm living here. My plan is to make it all the way home next year. Some say that I'm starting to plan way to early, but since my experience is limited and my budget is going to be really tight I think it's just about the time to start.

As I just started thinking I don't have any exact plans. But the whole trip would be somewhere between 3 and 6 months depending on the budget and the route I'll choose. So far I'm considering of buying either a Suzuki gn125 or Yamaha YBR125. Some of you may say they are not powerful or fast enough so I'm open to suggestions however as long as they stay 125-150cc.

Oh, and if there's by any chance someone close to the place I live who would be also glad to meet fellow laowai - let me know as I don't get much communication here and the level of locals' English apart from "Hello!" is very-very poor, so I can't count on them.

Thanks for your attention,
    Alex
    Hi Alex, as you guessed can't watch your youtube video. never mind. there are a few of us foreigners near by. we're based in Ningbo & Beilun. you will likely find there are some other foreigners too on or near Zhoushan related to the shipbuilding industry there. How are you getting on with your license? you may not be aware but the Ningbo Traffic PSB have stopped the English drivers license resources for the moment as I understand they're being rewritten. One can sit the exam still, but only the Mandarin language version at the moment, which means you have to know Mandarin (read/write) or take a Mandarin speaker with you. They aren't allowed to help other than translate for you the questions and the multiple-choice answers. It might be better for you to wait until the language issue is sorted.
    check out helloningbo <dot> com or Ningboguide <dot>com or Ningbolife <dot> com.
    I have a JinJing StarTrek 125cc scooter for sale sitting in my garage for a good price... even if you just use it for your time here. Personally I'd look for something a little larger than 125-150cc though for your ride back to the Ukraine from PRC. Why not a 400cc dual purpose bike... there's some reasonable ones, though finding them and being able to license them for road use can be an issue... maybe a JH600?

anyway, gidday and welcome... keep an eye and ear listening, I was just riding through with some guys a couple of weekends ago in having caught a ferry from near Beilun, to Zhoushan as we rode to TaoHua island, and back the next day. :)

3. #3 Re: Ni hao from Zhoushan! 
    Not sure the video is loaded right, can't get anything in Australia either!
    Good luck with the bike/license hunting, have a good read through this forum, lots of info.

4. #4 Re: Ni hao from Zhoushan! 
    Alex, coming from the Ukraine, congrats on your English, it's perfect!
    Also a Yamaha YBR125G might be a good choice of bike not only because it is a good step up from a 50cc, but also because it has proven itself to be reliable, alas too many Chinese bikes look good, and can even handle well, but few are really reliable for doing something like riding across Asia, (or have yet to prove themselves reliable) unless you are really keen on studying motorcycle repair and maintenance!

Coming from 50cc I really don't think that a 250cc bike is really too much for you to handle as you'll become accustomed to and bored of a 125-150cc bike pretty quickly, so consider the YBR250 or JH600 if you have the money.

5. #5 Re: Ni hao from Zhoushan! 
    Welcome to china Alex, and what a nice place to be located! I'm jealous i don't have a job out there! I hope you're able to get your license sorted out soon, your region is definitely a nice one to explore by bike!

I think on a long trip like the one you're planning, reliability and parts access should be your first concerns. While a 400cc china bike might be fun, it's not gonna be much good to you when you're stranded in the middle of buttf*cknowhere in khazakstan! I think tokyokid on this forum drove to europe on a YBR125, you should search around for info on this. It might take you a bit longer, but it'll probably get you there.

6. #6 Re: Ni hao from Zhoushan! 
    Thanks for your replies, it's really a relief to know you have someone around who can understand you.
    I'm still not sure if I have to go to Ningbo for the test or I can do it here, waiting for the guy who is helping me to reply. I already have an international driving license but it's only valid for cars, so I guess I'll have to do the driving as well. And I'm quite worried about that. Do you have to the driving test on your own bike or they normally provide you with it? I don't want to buy one before I get hold of the license though. Is it possible to take it on a variator scooter as I don't have any experience shifting gears so far.
    I've chosen gn125 and ybr125 because they are the most reliable and cheap bikes here, at least that's what I think after reading numerous reviews. And it's also easier to register them. Do you think I can buy a decent one easily for 4000-6000RMB? If there's a good alternative I would be more than happy.

I've fixed the video, so now people outside the great firewall can take a look at it. But don't expect much, it was just made for saving memories and doesn't cover the whole trip, however it has some nice shots.

ZMC888, thanks for the compliment but my English is by no means perfect, I'd say just not bad. But it's completely of no use here.

After the situation with the license clears a bit I'll have more questions regarding all the stuff needed for the trip, gear, gps and stuff. Will be digging deeper into the forum for now.

Btw, if someone is desperately struggling without some of the blocked sites I can recommend "tor", though the speed is not always that good it still opens any site and sometimes you can even watch youtube videos without waiting at all.

7. #7 Re: Ni hao from Zhoushan! 
    Hey Alex, for many years I have believed only nut-cases ride scooters, now I know I was right ...

Good video clip, would like to see more, especially of the lass in the yellow bikini top! Cool music too. Your English is better than mine, and I am English! My excuse is I live in Australia and they now all speak american but in an aussie accent.

8. #8 Re: Ni hao from Zhoushan! 
    Thanks for your replies, it's really a relief to know you have someone around who can understand you.
    I'm still not sure if I have to go to Ningbo for the test or I can do it here, waiting for the guy who is helping me to reply. I already have an international driving license but it's only valid for cars, so I guess I'll have to do the driving as well. And I'm quite worried about that. Do you have to the driving test on your own bike or they normally provide you with it? I don't want to buy one before I get hold of the license though. Is it possible to take it on a variator scooter as I don't have any experience shifting gears so far...
    The Part I can tesed in Russian http://www.gzjd.gov.cn/jiaotong/news...tid_61_76.html (first 2 rar).
    Part 2, 3 is very easy http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTQwNDUyOTI0.html . the catoery "D" is easier that "E".

9. #9 Re: Ni hao from Zhoushan! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    no worries, even most of us native English speakers begin to understand "pigeon" English after a time in Asia ;)

I'm still not sure if I have to go to Ningbo for the test or I can do it here, waiting for the guy who is helping me to reply. I already have an international driving license but it's only valid for cars, so I guess I'll have to do the driving as well.
    No, international driving permits (they're not a true license at all) are not valid for use in PR China. Don't drive until you have the legal Chinese Driving License. Tis better-to-be-safe-than-sorry!

And I'm quite worried about that. Do you have to the driving test on your own bike or they normally provide you with it? I don't want to buy one before I get hold of the license though. Is it possible to take it on a variator scooter as I don't have any experience shifting gears so far.
    provided you have a legal drivers license from overseas that covers car, motorcycle then you can usually get the same here, provided that you make sure that the official business/dept that translates your home country drivers license categories too. Be careful as sometimes they are just lazy, or really can't translate very well, and will translate your original license as being for "car" only. This means when you go to apply for a Chinese license they will only (usually) issue the categories that are translated. If you have a car & motorcycle license and have that reflected in the official translation then you have to apply for the Chinese license. It requires to have a basic medical assessment, some photos taken, your passport, the official drivers license translation, pay some fees for each of these items as you go, and then you have to sit a written exam, all multiple-choice 100 questions. I seems to recall you had to get 95% correct or thereabouts.

There was a drivers education book with all the questions and correct answers, in many foreign languages (not just English). You learn then verbatim, then do the exam on a computer.
    The problem is that the book is withdrawn for the moment, as the questions are being rewritten. But the exam is still available.

If you don't have a motorcycle license then you will need to go to a Chinese driving school... a whole other thread...

I've chosen gn125 and ybr125 because they are the most reliable and cheap bikes here, at least that's what I think after reading numerous reviews. And it's also easier to register them. Do you think I can buy a decent one easily for 4000-6000RMB? If there's a good alternative I would be more than happy.
    The Suzuki GN125cc is a great little bike, if a road bike, is the route you want to take - if you could get hold of a GN250cc I think that would do you a whole lot better for longer. There's not that much difference, but what there is, is still significant enough to make the 250cc that much more worthwhile proposition.
    Personally I'd lean more towards a 250cc trail bike, because Zhoushan and the Eastern side of China don't fairly represent just how bad the road conditions can get inside China. The further west you get, the rougher the terrain. Also a trail bike gives you the option of going some-place a road bike would have problems. There are lots of trails... to explore. Your intended budget though will limit you immensely.

In terms of jumping from a 50cc - 250cc. OK maybe China aint the best place in the world for that, but I learnt 30 years ago on a 50cc yammie... a mates bike... got my bike license at 15yo, and then at 15 going on 16yo and earning some of my own money I bought a brand new bike, a Honda XL250cc... great bike... perfect type of bike for here IMO, though I'd go 500-600cc myself...
    Jumping from a 50cc to a 250cc aint that much of a mission so long as you stay away from the crotch rockets! By the time you get from China to Europe you won't be a novice any more that's for damn sure. You will most likely tire towards of being on an underpowered bike, where you can't quite muster the power and speed to pass all you would like, bearing in mind you'll be carrying a fair amount of gear too.

10. #10 Re: Ni hao from Zhoushan! 
    Quote Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
    The Part I can tesed in Russian http://www.gzjd.gov.cn/jiaotong/news...tid_61_76.html (first 2 rar).
    Part 2, 3 is very easy http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTQwNDUyOTI0.html . the catoery "D" is easier that "E".
    Wow! Thanks a lot. That's really useful! Category D is for a trike and E is for a two-wheeled motorcycle right? I also got news that I can take the test here in Zhoushan (English or Russian) without going anywhere else but I'll need to find a motorcycle driving school first. What is the average price for that?

Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    ... I have believed only nut-cases ride scooters, now I know I was right ...
    What's so crazy about driving a scooter? Believe me or not, but they are very reliable, at least the Japanese ones I had. The last one was a suzuki that was manufactured in 1998 and who knows how many miles it did in Japan, but i did more than 10k during 1,5 years in Ukraine on it and the only things that sometimes had to be changed were belt, weights and spark plugs. And our roads are in really poor condition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast