Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Ride the West China this Sept - Suggestions? 
    Hi,

I am a native Chinese moving to California 4 years ago and got sucked into motorcycling ... Having explored some areas in CA on a F650GS twin. I am thinking of doing a trip back in my home country this Sept, since I will have some time off then. Tentative itinerary: Xi An (My home town) - Jiu Zhaigou - Lasha - Kun Ming - Chong Qin - Xi An.

Although I was raised there, I have no idea how it is like riding motorcycle around China. Looking for advice from riders who have done trips there. How is the road condition? recommendation for bikes, hotels, etc.

Thanks
    Christine

2. #2 Re: Ride the West China this Sept - Suggestions? 
    Christine,

Fist off, welcome to being sucked into motorcycling! It's one of the best hobbies/passions in the world!

I think your best resource will be to first read some of the ride reports from China. ChinaV and a crew of MCM'ers will be taking a trip in those same parts you mention pretty soon. You will get a great idea of what it is like to ride in China from them as well.

You can have a GREAT time riding in China and, since I'm assuming you still have the Chinese passport, should have fewer problems than foreigners riding around in most areas. Road conditions in China are not as bad as the weather you will encounter esp. on the Tibetan plateau. You must be sure to bring some warm clothes ALL year round... not like California. Many threads exists on what bike to buy, etc. Lots of that depends on you and you'd have to give us an idea of your expectations to know if they could stand some realistic adjustment. Basically, we need to know more about your riding style, habits and perferences. Of course photos go a long way towards communicating that information.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: Ride the West China this Sept - Suggestions? 
    Thanks for the info. When will the trip you mentioned by ChinaV and others be? I am very interested in knowing more about it.

Honestly I am relatively new to the sport. I started riding on a Ninja 250 last year and quickly upgraded to F650GS twin. When I bought the bike, I thought I would mostly stay on the pavement, but now I grateful for the luxury of continuing the journey onto the unpaved.

Was reading the About on your webpage: "Several years ago long distance motorcycling completely changed my life". I can see myself saying the same thing in the near future. would definitely fire up your DVD. One question though, is the resolution in the DVD the same as the trailer?

I am still debating on whether to do the china trip later, after I become more experienced. Also, would love to line up with some of you guys' trip in the future if possible ... At least I can offer some of my China connections and mandarin skills ...

Christine

4. #4 Re: Ride the West China this Sept - Suggestions? 
    Hi Christine,

We are leaving on May 8 for a 15 day trip. Departing from Guangdong and ending somewhere in Sichuan, probably Chengdu.

Nice to see you here on MCM.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #5 Re: Ride the West China this Sept - Suggestions? 
    Sounds awesome. Look forward to the report!

6. #6 Re: Ride the West China this Sept - Suggestions? 
    CrazyCarl if she took out American citizenship she lost her Chinese citizenship.

ChristineG I would recommend getting as much experience as you can riding a motorcycle before attempting a tour of China.

Even then it will not fully prepare you for riding on Chinese roads. I recommended you read ZMC888 post http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ew-Rider-Guide