Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: hi

1. #1 hi 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi, I'm new here, figured I'd introduce myself a little. I am from Vancouver BC, Canada, I've been riding dirtbikes for 3 years now, and I have recently bought 2 chinese motorbikes. (recently as in within a year)

I own a Loncin PY250
    0403101659-00..jpg0208102227-00..jpg

and I own an X-Rage 100
    0326101836-01..jpg0326101837-00..jpg

The Loncin I got basically new, had 100km on it. since then I've put on over 1300km on it just riding around town and on trails every now and again.

The X-Rage I bought off a friend for $300. I dont know how many hours are on it, but I do know its a 2006.

I ride basically every day, so I put a lot of wear and tear on the bikes, and I've revealed quite a number of flaws in each... but they get me around so I cant complain.

2. #2 Re: hi 
    Hello and welcome to the forum hope you enjoy! I like your attitude, I don't get it why people demand so much perfection from bikes when everything else they have is imperfect, and they aren't even profosessional racers in most cases. Of course if something is your dear hobby you may demand more, but there is so much more in motorcycling than "perfect" bikes

3. #3 Re: hi 
    IK,

Welcome to MCM. I know the PY250 came out over a year ago but I don't recall hearing any good ride reports about the model. What are your thoughts on it in terms of ride, power comfort and value?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

4. #4 Re: hi 
    C-Moto Noob
    on the Loncin, ride is okay... its as you would expect.

Power, its lacking at some points, despite it being the PY*250* the engine is only 230cc's. The 5 speed transmission is geared very low, so there is very little space between gears. I've actually replaced the sprocket with a larger one to up the gearing.

Comfort is again, as you would expect. its a dirtbike, so its not a dream ride, but its definitely not the most uncomfortable thing I've ridden.

Value, classic "you get what you pay for". I have had to fix so many things on the bike. front fender broke, clutch lever broke, brake lever is like a pretzel, turn signals have shaken themselves to bits due to vibration multiple times.

vibration is a huge issue with that bike, I've had to replace multiple bulbs already because they have shattered in their housings from just the vibration. The stock mechanical flasher relay broke, and so did its replacement in very quick succession. I've got yet another relay in there that is dieing, as it doesnt turn on more often than it does.

but with all that, some praise: It handles trails better than I would expect. It handled them exceptionally well on the road tires I have on it last time I was out dirting. Digital readout is easy to read and is well lit at night, although the trip meter resets whenever you turn the bike off, so its difficult to gauge how far you've gone on a tank, and how much farther you can go without a fillup. All the controls are easy to reach and get at (except the kill switch, interestingly). and finally, the best part, and probably the part that is making me keep it the most, is it only costs me $6 to fill up the tank, and with the amount if riding I do it lasts me about a week and a half to two weeks. (in comparison, my car costs me $10 in gas just to get out of the driveway)

5. #5 Re: hi 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Ishii

I'm new to mychinamoto and have just bought a Sunteck LRX250 which seems to be the same as yours. I've not ridden it far yet but need to run it in before taking it for a real blast.
    I've noticed the fasteners used on the bike are pretty ordinary and have replaced a few already and added some spring washers so they won't come loose. Is there anything I should look out for from your experience?

Regards

Karl

6. #6 Re: hi 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello Karln, things to look out for on these bikes are the stock relays are usually of poor quality and should be replaced, and anything that is rubber (except the tires) is also prone to failure. On my bike I know that the headlight bulb was actually non-halogen, and as such I had to replace it not only for safety reasons but to pass inspection. Something else I did not notice until later was the chain was non-o-ring, so it will require lubrication every few rides, every time it is taken out into the dirt, and any time it is taken out in the wet. It may be easier to replace it with an O-ring chain which does not require near as much maintenance

and the last point, is more about you than it is about the bike. Be careful out there, always keep an eye out. I lost the Loncin due to no fault of my own, and would hate to see anyone else end up in my position
    IMG_0265.jpg
    this is the Loncin now. The insurance company gave me $2000 for it, and I only paid $1500 for it, so thats about the only real good thing to come from it.

if you have any more questions feel free to contact me.

7. #7 Re: hi 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Hello Ishii-kun, and welcome to the board. I'm guessing I'm not the only who's curious. What in blazes happened to your Loncin??

Congrats on the financial settlement, however. Hope some of that rubs off on me.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #8 Re: hi 
    C-Moto Noob
    I was riding home from work and someone was turning left at a controlled left turn, the light was red for them. I guess they figured it was safe to go, not seeing me, and ran the red light. I slammed into the side of their car at about 55km/h and was thrown clear of the intersection. I ended up with 2 broken wrists, a broken arm, and a broken leg, and am currently going to physio to get full mobility back.

another important piece of caution. While the frames on these bikes may be completely sound, the sub-frame on the back is not. I had a cargo box bolted to the rear sub-frame, and in the accident it tore the sub-frame off, and the bolts stabbed me in the back of the legs.

And after all that, I want to see if I can buy back my bike, as replacement parts are extremely cheap, and the main reason it was written off was because labor costs would have been too high (once I recover I can do all the work myself)

9. #9 Re: hi 
    C-Moto Guru
    Good luck with the recovery Ishii-kun, that sounds like a horrible crash. Did the other driver get cited by the police for running the red light? His/her insurance should be through the frigging roof now anyways. I think driving in Vancouver can be worse than driving in Shanghai some days. I love how you're planning to buy the bike back and ride it again.

10. #10 Re: hi 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Ishii-kun,

Apologies for missing your reply. Holy shit. Ouch. Damn. Life really, really sucks when it gives you an adversary like that. Glad you are on the mend, and not letting a little death-defying calamity keep you down. Keep up the physical therapy, and keep us posted about your progress. I'd be honored to ride with you some day.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)