Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: Mini Motard In Australia 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Yea I feel the same moilami solo works for me to should be a lot of fun. The organizing sure is being a challenge, mostly because I have not seen the bike in real life yet only pictures. I will have 1 day with the bike to prep it and set it up then I will be off for the adventure. For me the goal of this ride is to dispel some of the prejudice here against Chinese bikes, we have had to many importers who have just brought in the cheapest bikes they could get and sell them at as high a profit as possible. The result has been to many Chinese bikes that were rubbish, the other problem has been some owners take the attitude that it’s just a cheep bike so they don’t do proper maintenance. No bike can survive for any length of time without proper maintenance. My bike will get it’s run in services done roadside, as I am sure will the puncture repairs etc as I intend to ride as much dirt road as possible for the 3000 klms. The importer I am working with for this ride is most certainly not in this category, he wants the best bike he can get. Hopefully my “little ride in country” will change the prejudices of some people. But most of all I am going to have a great time.

2. #32 Re: Mini Motard In Australia 
    One day for preparing the bike is fine :) Really it should not take longer. I prepared me and my bike in less than one day.

I am very curious of what brand the bike is. Is it a secret for now? I guess it is Puzey, but that is just my guess. Anyway, I wish you good luck in everything. Luck is always needed when doing things with mechanical stuff and combustion engines.

3. #33 Re: Mini Motard In Australia 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    In that one day I will have a lot to do I will need to fit a top box and wire in power outlets for GPS fit spot tracker go over all important mounts an locktite, sort-out how my custom saddle bags will fit plus a gear bag on the rear seat. I still haven’t decided on how to carry extra fuel, I am thinking I’ll have to do the dodgy bungee on a small fuel drum on top. The bike only has an 8 liter capacity and that just doesn’t allow enough safety margin for me I need to be capable of being totally self sufficient for 2 to 3 days in everything from -1 degree c to possibly low 30’s. so lots of gear is required to do it properly, good tent and sleeping bag etc.
    The bike is not a puzey, what I can say is it is 250cc, 6 speed, liquid cooled, twin cam, and 4 valve, from what I have heard and seen it is possible one of the better Chinese enduro bikes to date. I have just heard today that the bike has passed all tests for approval it is just waiting for the pen pushers to finalize the approval. I will release more info when I can, I believe that should be about 6 weeks or so.

Tina

4. #34 Re: Mini Motard In Australia 
    Bolts getting loose in my bike has not been a problem. I still have the loctite bottle I bought unopened Your bike may be different regarding that. You did not mention oil and grease treatment. If I were you, I would grease and oil everything and change front fork fluids. Also inspect *completely* the throttle and clutch cable design and routes, and oil/grease them well. You don't want to get cable problem in your trip. If there is some strange plastic parts in the cable design consider replacing them with proper metal parts, the weakest link in the chain stuff etc.

For cooking I seriously recommend Trangia multifuel burner or methylated spirits (ethanol) Trangia burner. A "chinese" copy can do also, I had one during my last trip, yet I have plans to upgrade it to real Trangia.

http://www.trangia.se/english/

With tent and sleeping bag I would not go cheap. Good tent costs anything from 100€ to 500€. You can get tents for 10€, which I would love to tear apart instead of using them. 10€ tents are best if you go by car to some music festifal and sleep drunken in it. For motorcycling trips they are not so good. 0 Celsius camping is childs play with a good tent and sleeping bag.* That is all gear you need for it.

Now that I know better of your trip I think one day prep is not enough to make things work. If you go dirt 3000km with extra fuel and tools and other gear, you better craft good saddle bag supports and stuff for your bike. I am not saying it can't be done in one day, but considering all you need to do there will be a little bit hurry in the air.

Anyway, good luck with your trip. I envy you already when thinking about doing 3000km dirt with two to three days self sufficiency in a row

EDIT: * Oh yeah and a sleeping mattres or whatever they are called. I prefer those modern ones which gets filled by air when you open them.

5. #35 Re: Mini Motard In Australia 
    Good work Tina! Make sure you come down this way and make sure you take a good camera for articles in CC's magazine. Maybe a 'spot' device so we can follow you on the 'net! The old dirtbikers used to have a reserve fuel tank on the handlebars but I wouldn't fancy a face full of fuel in a crash. I have been looking for a safe, flat, fuel container for a back rack but again, a bit close to the exhaust. Maybe the best option is a tight-fitting container in the bottom of pannier opposite to the exhaust (keeps weight low and fuel in more protection) and the stuff that it pushes out in a soft bag on top. Take a good knife, para cord and a fire-striker and keep your eyes open for those Perenties!!!!!

6. #36 Re: Mini Motard In Australia 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi jape I have a spot but i'm not sure about making it public from a personal security aspect. For fuel containers the best is liquid containment http://www.liquidcontainment.com.au/index.php but I'm not sure I will be able to afford one from them. The other issue is that I am considering crossing over to tassy on the ferry and I belive they have some rules concerning fuel containers. I dont think I'm to likely to encounter to many perenties on this ride but then again you never know lol.

7. #37 Re: Mini Motard In Australia and STUFF 
    Wow here is very nice videos , I am very happy to watch of all of those videos. All the bike riders are really has to run amazing her bike , So thanks for sharing this stuff.

8. #38 Re: Mini Motard In Australia and STUFF 
    Mind blowing bikes. These have a very nice ground clearance. I think these should also introduced a stunt mania for these bikes. These are real man machine & these are so cutie also. My brother to went to say this mini rally . Seems very different & challenging concept.

9. #39 Re: Mini Motard In Australia and STUFF 
    awsome!! had a motovert 110 motard when i lived in brisbane but these look trick as!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234