Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Mini Motard In Australia 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    MiniMotard in Queensland Australia
    These are our bikes
    Firstly my bike is based on a Chinese BBR style frame that was given to me by friend, I have built the bike up over the last little while. The motor is a yx140 with a 160 bore kit, the kit uses a 60mm Scut piston (leaves 1mm wall thickness) it is a nickasill bore, it has a 7.2mm lift cam (stock was 5.9) it runs 12.8/1 compression. The head on this motor has been extensively flowed and runs polished stainless valves with heavy duty valve springs that allow the increased lift from the cam. The carburettor is a 26mm Taiwanese OKO semi flat slide (copy of a kehin PWK). Many home made parts have gone into the development of this bike and I haven’t finished yet.

My sons bike is based on a MSO brand Chinese bike, When MSO built these bikes they used top end DNM suspension and high quality brakes. The motor is basically a standard Lifan 140cc motor with a 145 big bore kit and a 7.2 lift cam and some mild head work. This bike is almost fully constructed of billet alloy the frame is a work of art.

His bike is better at the short tracks due to a shorted wheel base, it gets better turn in for corners but my bike is better at the fast flowing tracks where my extra wheel base aids in high speed stability for fast sweeping corners.
    Both bikes use Dunlop TT92 tyres
    Here is a youtube videos of the local mini motard scene (some play racing with friends on a practice day).
    Archerfeild track
    Last edited by sabertooth_buterfly; 05-01-2010 at 05:01 AM. Reason: edited to get youtube link working

2. #2 Re: Mini Motard In Australia 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Here is a few more youtube links to the local minimotard scene
    Scooters and MiniMotards at Lakeside in Brisbane

A friend of mine runs his new Chinese motor on a dyno, these HP figures are real using a Z155 motor that has been massaged

I think he was happy LOL

Tina

3. #3 Re: Mini Motard In Australia 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Great work, Tina. Wonderful seeing your passion for this project. If you don't mind I'll likely be sharing this link with a bunch of friends in California.

I'm feeling frustrated that youtube is so hard to watch here in China, but will fire up the VPN and see if I can reel them in.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: Mini Motard In Australia 
    Did you do the port work on the head yourself? I am impressed with your dedication.

Keeping the rubber side down
    DT

5. #5 Re: Mini Motard In Australia and STUFF 
    Oh this was a great way to start the day! Loved your excellent report and it brought so many good memories in my mind. It doesn't matter with what you race if you have fuel in your blood! Hell, I have had tons of fun racing with friends with underpowered go karts! Those are not even bikes! I haven't tried mini motard racing yet but I am absolutely sure 100% I would love it.

Race on!

And expect to get reports of my most belowed variety of racing, the Finnish Enduro Racing No hijacking, just a little teaser what it is

6. #6 Re: Mini Motard In Australia and STUFF 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    That’s fine euphonius share with anyone hope they like what we are doing here. Is there a better host service that is easier to view in china than youtube?

Yes TexasAggie I do all my own work on our motors, I have been building race vehicles for almost 30 years. Many little tricks gained in that time. Some would say dedication but as a training psychologist I’m sure it would be called obsessive compulsive disorder lol.

Your absolutely correct moilami any sort of racing that involves motors is a hoot. In the past I have raced some very expensive forms of motor sport including top fuel drag’s, I think the mini motard is the most enjoyable motorsport I have ever been involved with. On the track we race hard and sometimes just millimetres between bikes but in the pits we are all friends helping each other out and sharing development ideas and suggestions (no secrets).

Mini Motard is much bigger in the united states and in europe but it is just fairly new here so we are all learning. The positive of this is that we don’t know the limitations so some great new wild ideas are being trialled, I love the building and the development side of it. I have been in the sport for 4 years now.

Tina
    Last edited by sabertooth_buterfly; 05-05-2010 at 02:34 AM. Reason: fixed typo

7. #7 Re: Mini Motard In Australia and STUFF 
    Ok some questions if you don't mind.

I noticed you (?) used road racing boots and in the tracks there were no dirt sections. So is that Mini Super Motard like road roacing without dirt sections or is it supposed to be like Super Moto with dirt sections? Do you know MX boots or do you just prefer road racing boots? I am just curious. Super Moto drivers prefer to use MX boots I have seen. And how about hmm, you call Enduro Dirt Racing there? How about dirt racing or enduro, is it popular in Australia and have you tried it?

Those bikes you have, variants of Honda Monkey or Gorilla, I had plans to buy that kind of bike, it would had been very cheap and tons of very cheap parts available to use in modding. Would had been fun but chose to buy a more diverse bike good for any kind of terrain But now that I saw how much fun those tiny bikes can be, I think I need to still get that kind of toy too at some point

8. #8 Re: Mini Motard In Australia and STUFF 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi moilami
    I prefer road boots as they are a little more flexible and allow my ankles to be less stressed. Most of the local riders here have found that riding the bikes in a semi big bike style works best, as in not putting a foot out and getting a knee down. I however have to sit fairly static as my knees are fairly damaged from riding motox and enduro when I was young. The tracks we ride are all tarmac, some of the riders prefer it that way but some of us (me included) would like to have some dirt sections with some jumps. We don’t have much choice for tracks so we settle for what we can get. Off road riding is very popular here, in the area I live in there are many areas of bush to ride in. On the weekends there are many riders out riding the trails.
    Our bikes are based on Chinese pit bikes, the motors are Honda crf/xr50 clones or the newer Kawasaki klx110 clones like yx160/150 and the z155 motors. The newer style motors (klx clones) are the best at the moment with the z155 and it’s soon to be released z175 variant being the most competitive. When I built my bike 2 years ago the 140cc motors (yx and lifan) were the biggest available, so I built mine to the limits to see what I could do with it against the newer motors, it is competitive but I expect that it may fail at some time due to the high compression. When that happens I will upgrade to a klx clone.
    The only regulations we have are that the motors must be horizontal, no more than 4 gears, and a maximum of 160cc, anything else on the bikes is free for development.
    I am happy to answer any questions you ask

Tina

9. #9 Re: Mini Motard In Australia and STUFF 
    I am sorry to hear about your knees, but I am glad to hear you still keep going strong Anyway does your knees affect your choise to do Mini Motard instead of enduro? If not, then I really bet Mini Motord must be great fun :)

10. #10 Re: Mini Motard In Australia and STUFF 
    Top notch! 22hp is outstanding results from these engines and with the low weight of these bikes I'll be it's a real mini-missile!

Looks like you could teach the manufacturers some tricks. You guys ever tried for sponsorships?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast