Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: New Member: Beijing next year! 
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the discussion, its good to read the help and advice. My wife actually was awarded a Fulbright scholarship to do some research on a legal issue in China. She'll be traveling on an X student visa, so she will get a temporary residence permit. What we've read is that accompanying family members used to be able to get an X visa too if you applied at the same time, but that these days family tends to get 'extended tourist visas' instead.

Bikerdoc, what city are you in? What I don't know is if a long term tourist visa qualifies for the drivers license. From what bikerdoc says, it sounds like maybe a 1 year tourist visa might work.

Anyway, we are getting a registered copy of our marriage certificate and all that, so we'll see what happens I guess.

Also, someone asked what MSF was... sorry I should have explained, "Motorcycle Safety Foundation". Basically its 2-3 hours of classroom instruction and then 8 hours of practice in a parking lot. No street time, etc.
    Last edited by CantDecide; 05-15-2010 at 03:35 AM.

2. #22 Re: New Member: Beijing next year! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CantDecide View Post
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the discussion, its good to read the help and advice. My wife actually was awarded a Fulbright scholarship to do some research on a legal issue in China. She'll be traveling on an X student visa, so she will get a temporary residence permit. What we've read is that accompanying family members used to be able to get an X visa too if you applied at the same time, but that these days family tends to get 'extended tourist visas' instead.
    Well things change with China visas quite frequently, especially when some major event of national interests occurs. Olympiks 9<sp> on purpose!) and the SH expo are two events that have resulted in China Visa changes albeit temporarily.

Bikerdoc, what city are you in? What I don't know is if a long term tourist visa qualifies for the drivers license. From what bikerdoc says, it sounds like maybe a 1 year tourist visa might work.
    Ningbo. I'm not sure either about the long term L visa, but based on what I found out the other day, I'd say its possible, but the question is... just how likely will it be? No matter what, just make sure you can be as legal as possible, as the rules are getting a little stricter with more enforcement when it counts against 'foreigners' In other words don't take the proverbial "awh don't worry about it -she'll be right attitude, as they don't worry if your a foreigner" because they can & do.

Also, someone asked what MSF was... sorry I should have explained, "Motorcycle Safety Foundation". Basically its 2-3 hours of classroom instruction and then 8 hours of practice in a parking lot. No street time, etc.
    No worries, when your all done and get yourself here, the reality will differ a lot to what you learn there. While riding defensively is still needed, do you need to be a little aggressive here too. Even though there are 'rules' it's still a little bit like a free-for-all... ;)

3. #23 Re: New Member: Beijing next year! 
    Hi guys, well we just found out that I'll have to come to china on an L-visa, and according to the visa company we spoke to today that definitely means a driver's license is out of the question, which really stinks. My only option I guess is to get a job with a Chinese company so I can get a long-term work visa. We're still in the process of cleaning up here at home, so I can't worry about it to much right now, but I was really looking forward to riding next year, and the "rewarding us with punishment tour" thread is really making me jealous. :)

4. #24 Re: New Member: Beijing next year! 
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Yeah, welcome to the forums and hope you enjoy. Regarding your questions, I don't have a clue and.... sorry to say this but they are very uninteresting and even if I would have a clue I might recommend you to seach the forums ;( and do myself something more interesting things than answering to uninteresting question. Why to do uninteresting things if answers are around already? xD No reason for that I might argue.

I agree with Jape that here is silent and I have to squueze the brake lever all the time and be carefull with the throttle or else suddenly the ratio of posts would go 5/1, me posting 5 times and someone else posting once that is. Also when posting here I almost feel guilty each time doing it since it seems people in forums these days are very strick "stay on topic" extremists where relaxed chatter is considered to be an offending sin. Gief the Usenet back! Don't fear the trolls!
    Also some idiot said some wrong key words and got this site banned in China.Sorry.So since then I think there is less new people coming to this site from within China.Also you have to be careful what you post as I worry that someone is watching me?

5. #25 Re: New Member: Beijing next year! 
    Yikes, I didn't know the forum got banned. I don't think I said anything inappropriate though.

6. #26 Re: New Member: Beijing next year! 
    Quote Originally Posted by CantDecide View Post
    Yikes, I didn't know the forum got banned. I don't think I said anything inappropriate though.
    I think it wasn't really banned but somehow hosted on a server, IP range or the hell knows what which had a ban. CC could answer it for sure.
    Andy

7. #27 Re: New Member: Beijing next year! 
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ew-Rider-Guide

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ming-Yunnan%29

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...rcycle-License

Those will get you started.

Sounds like your wife will be able to get a foreigner residence visa which you require to get a chinese motorcycle license.Can you get this visa?

I don't know if Beijing or China is a good place to learn to ride a motorcycle but I know someone else who learnt to ride a motorcycle in Xinjiang and said he is a better rider now he is back in the States.

8. #28 Re: New Member: Beijing next year! 
    Thanks for the links, I've read most of them already, but I re-read them all the time in case I missed something. :)

No, my wife will probably get a residence permit, but it sounds like I won't. The best I can hope for is a 1-year multiple entry tourist visa.

I was hoping to get some time on a bike here in the States first, I have a friend who offered to help out, but right now without the visa I'm pretty much stalled.

9. #29 Re: New Member: Beijing next year! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear CantDecide,

There are more ways than one to skin a cat. Your wife can ask her institution to help you find a full- or part-time job on a one-year contract. If nothing else you can teach English. With a one-year contract you should qualify for a residence permit independent of your wife's employment. If you and your wife are like most newcomers to China, one year will pass very quickly and you'll both be feeling like you are just getting started and your employers will be happy to have you extend for another year or more. I came initially on a two year assignment, then changed employers, which led to a year in Hong Kong, folllowed by three more in Beijing, followed by four in Taipei, followed by two more in Beijing, followed by, um, er, well, yeah, let's see, yikes -- seven years in Shanghai. In fact, I recently marked 20 years since my 17 May 1990 arrival in Beijing.

Yes, China can get under your skin.

good luck!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #30 Re: New Member: Beijing next year! 
    Hi Guys,

Well, I still haven't solved my visa-for-license problem, but the time to depart for Beijing is almost here. I'll be in Beijing on an L-visa for 3 weeks over the end of August through beginning of September, and then I'll return to Beijing 'full time' in January.

I think I'm going to try to solve the visa problem for when I return in January, for now I haven't worried about it.

Anyway, I'm excited for my first trip to China, motorbike or not!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast