Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: New Member: Beijing next year! 
    I cannot speak for Beijing but you can get a license in Nanjing with a L visa as long as you are in China for more the 3 months. Most L visa's require you to at least leave and come back every 90 days but there are exceptions. I am married to a lovely local Chinese gal and it was much easier for me to go with a L visa that covers spouses. My visa is good for a year at a time and my wife simply goes down to the police station once a year to get it renewed, hence the reason I changed to this visa. I got my license with this L visa! Again, the key here in Nanjing at least is you have to be able to stay more than 90 days in a row. All this being said, I know for a fact, I was the first foreigner in Nanjing to get a license with an L visa. It was an 2 week affair with my wife finally going postal before getting to someone who understood how to do something different. At several points, we were told I could not get the license but she is very stubborn and persevered until I got the license. I only bore you with all this because I suspect you can find a way to get it done one way or the other once you are in China and face to face.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

2. #32 Re: New Member: Beijing next year! 
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    I cannot speak for Beijing but you can get a license in Nanjing with a L visa as long as you are in China for more the 3 months. Most L visa's require you to at least leave and come back every 90 days but there are exceptions. I am married to a lovely local Chinese gal and it was much easier for me to go with a L visa that covers spouses. My visa is good for a year at a time and my wife simply goes down to the police station once a year to get it renewed, hence the reason I changed to this visa. I got my license with this L visa! Again, the key here in Nanjing at least is you have to be able to stay more than 90 days in a row. All this being said, I know for a fact, I was the first foreigner in Nanjing to get a license with an L visa. It was an 2 week affair with my wife finally going postal before getting to someone who understood how to do something different. At several points, we were told I could not get the license but she is very stubborn and persevered until I got the license. I only bore you with all this because I suspect you can find a way to get it done one way or the other once you are in China and face to face.
    You can get a temporary driving license for cars (C1) in Beijing with a tourist or business visa, and only with these.
    Apply directly at the traffic police station at the airport with your original driving license. You have to fill a form, they take pictures and you have to do an eye test (they take it serious - the eye test). The whole procedure shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes. There are no motorbike licenses granted at the moment.
    Andy

3. #33 Re: New Member: Beijing next year! 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    Also some idiot said some wrong key words and got this site banned in China.Sorry.So since then I think there is less new people coming to this site from within China.Also you have to be careful what you post as I worry that someone is watching me?
    As a new user who just signed up from inside of China (Beijing) with my proxy turned off, I am happy to report that this fine site is NOT currently filtered.

I want to get my license too but only have a month left on my visa so will likely have to wait until I renew it. so it goes.

4. #34 Re: New Member: Beijing next year! 
    Hi Everyone, my plans have changed... I'll still be spending a lot of time in Beijing this year, but not as much as originally planned, and unfortunately I'll still be on an L-Visa, so it looks like I won't get to do much riding in China, except on my electric scooter. Oh well, hopefully I'll get a bike here in the states.

I'll still be lurking on the forum though, living vicariously!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234