Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Bikers Dream and Reality, May-Day-Ride 2010 
    That was a "hell of a Ride". I never imagined such bad road conditions, and in the beginning there was a "dream".

2. #2 Re: Bikers Dream and Reality, May-Day-Ride 2010 
    Quote Originally Posted by SabineHartmann View Post
    That was a "hell of a Ride". I never imagined such bad road conditions, and in the beginning there was a "dream".
    Oh my congrats that was one awesome journey, lucky you to be there, wish I were there, I would had have tons of fun, especially when chosing to go do some off-road in order to see how stuff looks from some of those hills there were Thank you so very much of the report, I spent very good 15 minutes with it. Hope to see these more.

3. #3 Re: Bikers Dream and Reality, May-Day-Ride 2010 
    Love the video of trip you took. I have had similar "fun" on much shorter trips around Nanjing. You guys really are taking life by the horns up there in the "North City". LEt me know if you ever head down to Jiangsu or Anhui province!

4. #4 Re: Bikers Dream and Reality, May-Day-Ride 2010 
    Another great video report Sabine! You gonna have to start charging people for this soon... esp with all those fancy animated intros!!!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

5. #5 Re: Bikers Dream and Reality, May-Day-Ride 2010 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SabineHartmann View Post
    Great video, which reflects the general road conditions prevalent in mainland China. The worst roads I've ever ridden have been Jiangxi province, where it was apparent that the provinces GDP was half that of other neighbouring provinces eg. Anhui & Zhejiang. Seriously the provinces poor excuses for roads are so bad, I rode behind a 5 tonne truck which was being driven far too fast on what was once a concrete paved road, which had become a combination of pot holes with broken concrete pieces, loose metal and rocks before it turned into a mud/dirt road (this is a main highway to, not some back country road). The truck was travelling so fast that the rear axle was airborne bouncing from side to side with the goods also bouncing up and down on the back of the open deck of the truck. The situation would have been like out of a comedy had it not been so ridiculous. Actually I had followed the truck for several kilometres on my Dragstar 1100 Classic and finally could get enough speed up to pass the truck, whereby I then got in front and forced the driver to slow down. At this point the driver backed off to a more moderate and appropriate speed. Having had a trucking company once upon a time, had this been one of my drivers he'd have been fired on the spot. His misuse and abuse of that truck was the worst example of "professional" driving I've ever witnessed.

Sabine, I'm envious that you folk up in Beijing have the option of using the expressways, not an option for us down in Zhejiang. Indeed if one wants to ride as I have done numerous times, between Ningbo/Cixi to Shanghai then it is a 7 hour 450km journey taking the long 'dog leg' route via Hangzhou. The direct 250km route across the Hangzhou Bay Bridge expressway which would cut the journey in half is not an option for motorcycles.