Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
The spray gives range and separation but the knife, if you have one and can use it, gives death and that stops an attacker a lot faster. It is down to will and training and some luck.
The one of the greatest advantages with spray against a knife is that you don't have to kill anyone. You don't have to go that far. With spray one can just disable the attacker much more safely than with a knife. And disabling the attacker should go far higher in priority list than killing the attacker. If you kill someone, you are up to more troubles even if you do it in self-defence, at least here in Finland. You will be charged of self-defence gone out of hand (my wording), and you will go to prison. So one just should be able to deal with the desire to kill an attacker even when in the very mood to go for a kill. For that, in practise, a spray is by far better self-defence tool than a knife because there is no need to kill. No life-long nervous system injuries. Better chances to win. And what if the attacker have a knife too? Masters of self defence say run. They say they would run and never take chances, and I agree with them especially if you are not a master in self-defence or knife to knife fightning. But if you have swift legs and a spray, you actually have good chances to get unhurt against a knife even if you are not a master in self defence (if you know the tactics and are stupid enough to try). A spray is pure win so to say.

I understood, Jape, what were your intentions with your starting post. I don't know if Sabertooth Butterfly would try to use a knife in self-defence or did she just say that as an argument to the police. But because she did mention it, I wanted to say my opinions to her how stupid it is to count on knife in self-defence and how much better it is to get a spray.

Regarding knifes I am surprised you knew those traditional Finnish design knifes actually called "puukko" (no translations) in Finnish and not "veitsi" (knife). A puukko is our national weapon and tool so to say. However there is one brand called "Mora", which is a Swedish brand and about a synonym to "Puukko", which has been the most popular knife in Finland in murders. It is just traditional timber tool puukko design.

In my childhood kids here grew with knifes in hands and pockets, yet we were still called baked roll cake generation because we did not work our arses off when we were kids. Everything else we did in the streets and woods. Now we call the current generations as Playstation generation because the kids grow up with game pad in their hands, and we are sure we would lose our independence anytime if someone attacks us.

Now let me think more OT, hmm, thinking, will post later more OT