Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 always carry a sharp knife 
    I come from a generation and time when most men of all classes and backgrounds carried a pocket-knife of some sort ... and used them for this and that daily. Despite the politically correct nonsense of such tools now being illegal in some definitions or at least frowned upon, I still carry one and always will.

Today on the freeway I rode over a plastic bag concealing a paperback book and a bread roll of all things that someone had dropped, it got jammed between chain, wheel rim and frame and nearly brought me off as I skidded onto the verge. It had all burnt from the 100 kph friction in parts and the plastic and dough and glues in the binding had congealed with the oil from frame into the paper and cardboard and made what was like a resin encrusted mass that hardened as it cooled around the frame and chain!

I tried pushing with a long branch from the roadside, levering in all directions with tyre lever with all my weight and strength to no avail. Looked like I would have to remove back wheel and bugger, that spanner was still at home on the bench. Stuck.

Until I chopped through the grapefruit sized lump bit by bit, taking ten minutes, with my trusty sharp spiderco knife. Took me nearly twenty minutes in all to remove it, it was so hard jammed into the bike! Always carry a sharp knife folks.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by jape; 05-06-2010 at 11:25 PM. Reason: img

2. #2 Re: always carry a sharp knife 
    I'll second that. I've got a Camillus Blaze 2.82 (now out of production) which is a great piece of steel and is used just about daily for all kinds of stuff. One reason why I don't like airplane travel is because I have to leave it at home and I always kinds feel like something is missing. Once you get used to having a simple tool readily handy, you suddenly miss it's utility when it's not around.

Tools, are a REAL investment!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: always carry a sharp knife 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    sometimes i just wish I was born 80 years ago, i don't like this age we're living in. I went camping the two days ago near some small lake. Fish were jumping, and maybe there were rabbits around. But i had no idea how to get any, and what to do with it if i could some how catch it. I know chicken doesn't just come from the supermarket, but seems the coming generation will think so. If Mc'D and KFC and Walmart shut down, kids would starve to death before they can figure out how do anything. Maybe that includes me too.
    I had my trusty 40 rmb walmart knife , but i'm not sure what to use it for. Shame shame.
    Tools, are a REAL investment!
    That, i'm glad im much better at. Mechanical, electrical stuff i can find my way around, somehow. But a chicken? Stir fried please, lots of chilli.

4. #4 Re: always carry a sharp knife 
    It isn't just a generational thing slabo, I know a few youngsters today and have trained a few over the years, who can live off the land. And the reverse applies, most folk of my generation ( I am 59) can only handle an electric tin-opener and a microwave. You don't have to be SAS trained or Rambo to snare a rabbit with a bit of twine, wire or fishing line! Commonsense such as realise your smell will frighten them off rather than the trap, develop an eye for patterns of movement through natural landscape and soon you will have a bunny for the campfire! Any sharp knife will gut them (again commonsense says don't break bladder or guts or gall bladder on the meat). Etc. etc.
    I have a strong belief that the nanny state and the slave world we live in in the west is badly off track and that the right to carry a small knife at least should be enshrined in law! It always was a tool as much as a weapon.
    Oh well, when the shit hits the fan and oil runs out it will be the peasants and the cunning who survive. If you have a true interest join an archery club, preferably traditional and you will meet many folk who still know how to walk quietly, talk softly and survive.

5. #5 Re: always carry a sharp knife 
    I used to carry always a knife as a kid. Then one day I read from newspaper that it will be illegal to carry a knife and I thought it is outrageous. Of course I made tons of arguments why it is stupid law. Then some time passed, I stopped carrying a knife with me, and now after many years I did not even remember I have carried one. Never needed it.

But yes, if I go to motorcycle trip I will for sure carry a knife with me. No questions of that.

6. #6 Re: always carry a sharp knife 
    I understand about terrorism and violence on the streets but i do not accept that any arguments and action against such dark forces means that all mature and responsible citizens should be so constrained. I live in the bush and I use a knife regularly. For this week alone, from opening parcels at the Post Office to sharpening pencils, to cutting baler twine, shortening some hose, splicing a rope, harvesting vegetables and fruit, cutting a trapped magpie free from some twine, I have used my pocket-knife. I was a builder, art and archery are hobbies, both need a knife at times. I feel no guilt at carrying a knife and to fight against any encroachment on that right I have been a registered collector and sometimes maker for many years. Thus I extended my hobbies and now have a couple of swords and hunting blades in a locked cabinet. Those are not tools except for purpose and I wouldn't dream of carrying them in public except for reasonable transport and usage so I accept some control - but no-one is going to ever stop me having a small blade always at hand. I would have been stuck miles from home without that sharp piece of steel in my pocket when the bike got jammed. A once in a life-time event but the one that prompted this post and these thoughts. I do have membership of a motoring organisation but mobile phones are not always useable out here and why use those resources when half an hours work kept me independent and able to travel?

ps, I always thought 'Finlanders' and other Scandinavians were very independent too Moilami! Your generation is the one that needs to understand these issues or when old farts like me die you will all end up as slaves!!! Many of my archery acquaintances use finnish blades from preference and some of them make beautiful examples :
    http://stevenjawerth.weebly.com/scandi-gallery.html
    http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s...ent=Puuko2.jpg

7. #7 Re: always carry a sharp knife 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi Jape
    I to am a semi old fart (40+) and have always carried a knife, especially when I am on the bike. I will always carry a knife for exactly the same reason as you it is a tool that can help you out of a bad situation. As a woman that mostly rides alone and often at night in semi rural areas it is also a safety issue. The new laws are just plane wrong, I have on several occasions told this to police and they accept that for a woman in my situation it is quite acceptable, it is just wrong that it is illegal.

8. #8 Re: always carry a sharp knife 
    Quote Originally Posted by sabertooth_buterfly View Post
    Hi Jape
    I to am a semi old fart (40+)
    Nah, you're pretty young lass to my eye. Mature enough to be listened with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by sabertooth_buterfly View Post
    and have always carried a knife, especially when I am on the bike. I will always carry a knife for exactly the same reason as you it is a tool that can help you out of a bad situation. As a woman that mostly rides alone and often at night in semi rural areas it is also a safety issue. The new laws are just plane wrong, I have on several occasions told this to police and they accept that for a woman in my situation it is quite acceptable, it is just wrong that it is illegal.
    Ahh.... here we go again, gg law enforcement officers, everyone is under the same laws and, err, no wait..

Seriously, if you want a self defence tool get two proper self defence sprays. Practise with other one in different conditions (heavy winds, night) how to hit the target with it, and keep the other one with you for real action. Good ones are guaranteed to work and very easy to use. If (s)he can't see you, (s)he can't hurt you. Don't play with knifes. They are dangerous for you and for the attacker. The spray is good, keep it as your secret surprise, that is don't do threat with it. Just use it suddenly and use it quickly and take distance at once after used, spray some more, and observe what happens while keeping a good distance long enough for making (s)he unable rush and grab you, and if needed, short enough for you to spray some more. Stay cool and confident all the time. Don't hesitate to use it at once when (s)he tries to attack or approaches too close to you. Too close to you is closer than the maximum effective range of the spray in current wind. A proper spray is much better than a knife in self defence.

9. #9 Re: always carry a sharp knife 
    The issue of self defense takes the discussion to a whole new place. It would hopefully be a very rare moment and to my thinking using a knife is absolutely justified. The application of other types of device is another argument that I will chip into only if STB wants to but I will say I disagree. The spray gives range and separation but the knife, if you have one and can use it, gives death and that stops an attacker a lot faster. It is down to will and training and some luck.
    Any such spray device is as 'illegal' in many countries as is a pocket knife. Thirty years ago in Britain I was charged with having a pepper pot in my lunch box as an offensive weapon. The Police (however friendly an individual may be) on the whole can be very unfair in applying such parts of the criminal codes depending on their own experience and prejudice. I have worked with the Police in number of situations and I recognise the institutional mindset they can fall victim to. Often against bike-riders.
    I have re-read my own posts and my own agenda is pretty obvious despite my first post being about the knife as a good tool no rider should be without so I don't mind where the thread goes or even if Carl moves it to 'off-topic'. Mind you no-one much else seems interested so maybe it will just die .

10. #10 Re: always carry a sharp knife 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    My attitude to a knife in a self-defence situation is that it is absolutely a LAST resort when my own safety is at risk, and I do mean LAST. I have trained for a reasonable period in traditional martial arts including some weapons training; my first rule is to avoid these kinds of situation. This rule has got my through so far with no problems, but as I have toured extensively in some very remote areas of Australia usually on my own I feel that being mentally prepared for a worst case scenario is good planing. I pray that no one ever puts me in that kind of situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast