Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: always carry a sharp knife 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    The spray gives range and separation but the knife, if you have one and can use it, gives death and that stops an attacker a lot faster. It is down to will and training and some luck.
    The one of the greatest advantages with spray against a knife is that you don't have to kill anyone. You don't have to go that far. With spray one can just disable the attacker much more safely than with a knife. And disabling the attacker should go far higher in priority list than killing the attacker. If you kill someone, you are up to more troubles even if you do it in self-defence, at least here in Finland. You will be charged of self-defence gone out of hand (my wording), and you will go to prison. So one just should be able to deal with the desire to kill an attacker even when in the very mood to go for a kill. For that, in practise, a spray is by far better self-defence tool than a knife because there is no need to kill. No life-long nervous system injuries. Better chances to win. And what if the attacker have a knife too? Masters of self defence say run. They say they would run and never take chances, and I agree with them especially if you are not a master in self-defence or knife to knife fightning. But if you have swift legs and a spray, you actually have good chances to get unhurt against a knife even if you are not a master in self defence (if you know the tactics and are stupid enough to try). A spray is pure win so to say.

I understood, Jape, what were your intentions with your starting post. I don't know if Sabertooth Butterfly would try to use a knife in self-defence or did she just say that as an argument to the police. But because she did mention it, I wanted to say my opinions to her how stupid it is to count on knife in self-defence and how much better it is to get a spray.

Regarding knifes I am surprised you knew those traditional Finnish design knifes actually called "puukko" (no translations) in Finnish and not "veitsi" (knife). A puukko is our national weapon and tool so to say. However there is one brand called "Mora", which is a Swedish brand and about a synonym to "Puukko", which has been the most popular knife in Finland in murders. It is just traditional timber tool puukko design.

In my childhood kids here grew with knifes in hands and pockets, yet we were still called baked roll cake generation because we did not work our arses off when we were kids. Everything else we did in the streets and woods. Now we call the current generations as Playstation generation because the kids grow up with game pad in their hands, and we are sure we would lose our independence anytime if someone attacks us.

Now let me think more OT, hmm, thinking, will post later more OT

2. #12 Re: always carry a sharp knife 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    My first post was that I have told police that it is a useful tool to get out of a sticky situation, my intention with that statement is in just such a situation as jape encountered not self defence. Then the topic changed to a self defence scenario, would I use it in a self defence situation where I had NO other option? Yes I would, I think most people would.
    I agree with most people who are at all knowledgeable in self defence that avoidance is the best option if available, this philosophy is central to the martial arts I have studied. In all my years of travelling and having lived in some very remote areas I know how a minor situation like jape encountered could be a life threatening situation. I have in the past struck mechanical problems in areas such as outback Australia where it is possible that no one will come past for weeks, you have to rely on your own resources, preparation, and ingenuity to survive.
    A good knife is a must.

3. #13 Re: always carry a sharp knife 
    Thanks for that STB, remoteness is the key to it. Where I live is bush but not too remote however even going to the nearest towns some routes require either going many km out of the way to freeway and all that that entails on a slower bike - or going via bush tracks. Some parts of those tracks have no traffic for weeks or even months. Most people would be OK as they can walk 20 or so km in any direction (which would take a day at least through such bush) and then find a bigger track or small village.

Sounds silly talking survival when I am just 100 km from Melbourne and surrounded by small towns but people who don't know the bush would be surprised how rare traffic can be off the main routes. It gets to near freezing here in winter many nights as I am up on the divide, water can be infrequent and for me especially with my injured back walking a few km is almost impossible anyway! Mobile phones don't work in too many places as most Australian bush dwellers know all too well. I suppose I could buy and remember to take an emergency Epirb or similar but you don't expect too need it on such a short trip! Thus I will always take a knife in my tool wrap, and I always have a fire-starter rod on my keyring. That will probably be illegal soon as well.

What martial arts do you do? I did 'Shotokan' way back before I smashed my back up.

I think Moilami is falling for you, sight unseen, weird how that happens online, but if he ever comes to Aus to stalk you, well, I am sure you will deal with him with or without spray! that would be ironic. Sorry Moilami, couldn't resist it!

4. #14 Re: always carry a sharp knife 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post

I think Moilami is falling for you, sight unseen, weird how that happens online, but if he ever comes to Aus to stalk you, well, I am sure you will deal with him with or without spray! that would be ironic. Sorry Moilami, couldn't resist it!
    -__- Now go get a good ride or get wasted. That was low. It is a time for reality check.

5. #15 Re: always carry a sharp knife 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I think that if moilami were to come over here there would be no necessity of sprays etc , I’m sure we would end up siting on the veranda having a few cold ones telling war stories about riding in true aussie style. I also did a form of shotokan many years ago. I did live near tenant creek at one stage and I can tell you that out there everyone carries a knife and many carry a hand gun, I did I had a 357M that I carried for protection when travelling alone, mostly in case I came across a wild bore they can be pretty mean and that’s very remote country.

6. #16 Re: always carry a sharp knife 
    Lol now that sounds better. No more impressions of getting sprayed and stuff as a foreigner because of overly suspicious and hostile Australians. Might be still though good to be armed with a knife, just in case :) Or to go to Russia.

7. #17 Re: always carry a sharp knife 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Nah, you're pretty young lass to my eye. Mature enough to be listened with interest.

Seriously, if you want a self defence tool get two proper self defence sprays. Practise with other one in different conditions (heavy winds, night) how to hit the target with it, and keep the other one with you for real action. Good ones are guaranteed to work and very easy to use. If (s)he can't see you, (s)he can't hurt you. Don't play with knifes. They are dangerous for you and for the attacker. The spray is good, keep it as your secret surprise, that is don't do threat with it. Just use it suddenly and use it quickly and take distance at once after used, spray some more, and observe what happens while keeping a good distance long enough for making (s)he unable rush and grab you, and if needed, short enough for you to spray some more. Stay cool and confident all the time. Don't hesitate to use it at once when (s)he tries to attack or approaches too close to you. Too close to you is closer than the maximum effective range of the spray in current wind. A proper spray is much better than a knife in self defence.
    but you still need a knife to cut their throat after you stop them with the pepper spray... I mean... Your not going to allow someone who would have killed you to live are you? no backbone or balls in china... the whole country is sterile........

8. #18 Re: always carry a sharp knife 
    C-Moto Noob
    A knife worth checking out is the Victorinox rescue tool, they are on taobao dirt cheap... although my guess is that they are fakes... but still get the job done!
    Shanghai Apartments for Rent and Sale!

9. #19 Re: always carry a sharp knife 
    SwitchBlade.jpg

I always carry a switchblade in my outside jacket pocket.

Mostly helps to clean my shoes when I step into it, and more occasionally to cut this or that while fixing this or that.

It's a 10cm blade, and pulling it out of the pocket, pressing the button to pull the blade, then sticking it into whatever's in front of u can easily be done in a single rapid motion.

Once I got beat up by 4 guys, they did it just for the fun of it, here's what I did:

I left it in my pocket, I took the beating and ran away a few times till they quit running after me and doing it all again.

Cost me 1 rib and 1 tooth, but I'm alive and I never stabbed anyone, a pretty good deal.

I don't think it's a good idea to go around with a knife if u're not ready to take a good old beating without pulling it out...
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12