Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 I failed my motorcycle driving test because I used the brake! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I took the motorcycle driving test here in Wuhan. There were five poles, spaced about 4 metres apart, and I had to zig-zag between them, turn around, and zig-zag back.

I completed the course, but then the man in charge said I failed because I used the front brake! I didn't know this was a rule. Apparently, you're also not allowed to use the clutch or accelerator (except in the beginning, to get it going). Just sit there and turn the handlebars.

So my question is, if I just coast without applying the accelator, won't the bike slow down until the engine dies? This was the case with the few bikes I've ridden. Or is it that, a properly tuned bike should be able to coast slowly in first gear, without using the accelator, indefinitely?

I feel stupid for asking such a basic question, but I gotta get this sorted out in order to pass the test.

2. #2 Re: I failed my motorcycle driving test because I used the brake! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan H. View Post
    I took the motorcycle driving test here in Wuhan. There were five poles, spaced about 4 metres apart, and I had to zig-zag between them, turn around, and zig-zag back.

I completed the course, but then the man in charge said I failed because I used the front brake! I didn't know this was a rule. Apparently, you're also not allowed to use the clutch or accelerator (except in the beginning, to get it going). Just sit there and turn the handlebars.

So my question is, if I just coast without applying the accelator, won't the bike slow down until the engine dies? This was the case with the few bikes I've ridden. Or is it that, a properly tuned bike should be able to coast slowly in first gear, without using the accelator, indefinitely?

I feel stupid for asking such a basic question, but I gotta get this sorted out in order to pass the test.
    Hey. I am maybe very biased but I see China as extremely corrupted country, and I suspect you did not pay enough for the "right" people. There is different ways to drive through that kind of test depending of the bike and of the driver, thus there is no universally right way to do it. So if you didn't have problems driving through it, you should have passed.

We don't have that kind of handling test in Finland, but I can tell you that if you have enough torque in your bike and it is working as it should, then you don't need to give revolutions to the engine at all in that test. You can even get the bike from 0 km/h to slow moving speed without revving the engine at all. Just tenderly and gradually release the clutch and the bike will begin to move, and it will move on level ground untill it runs out of fuel. Also in that test you don't have to use front brake, in very slow speeds it is usually better to use only rear brake. But clutch you will need to use after beginning to move if you want to move slower than the engine would go when no revs are given. If you don't use clutch by then and only use brake you will hurt the engine, and you will feel it complaining and pleading for clutch.

You did not tell have you taken some course, but if you haven't, I would recommend you to have a chat with some experienced motorcycle driver. Or lets say even if you have done some course, do still chat with some experienced driver about driving a motorbike and let him watch how you do the same tests what you did in the official driving test. He will check your technique and coach you to do things "right". It is not at all bad thing to not master driving a motorbike at once. What is bad and what is very bad is to be too arrogant to get advice from experienced drivers and to not be ready to study nyances of motorcycle driving.

Edit: Please do understand that when you pass the tests and get your license you only get the rights to drive in public roads and you still do have a lot to learn and you also have the responsibility to learn to drive the bike well. But as for now, keep learning, don't give up and redo the test!
    Last edited by moilami; 05-07-2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Added a disclosure.

3. #3 Re: I failed my motorcycle driving test because I used the brake! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Moilami,

Thanks for your reply. I know I have a lot to learn about riding.

Dan

4. #4 Re: I failed my motorcycle driving test because I used the brake! 
    Don't worry, I nearly failed in Australia for stopping too soon in an emergency stop. I deliberately skid stopped a bit sideways and was told I was out of control, so I showed him I could do it at will a couple of times, including a front wheel hop to prove it, he then accepted I could have another go but told me it was strictly wrong and I should be failed. And they don't take bribes here. I haven't bothered with the second test (there are a couple of tests here you have to take at $250 each). Decided to be an outlaw. Just have another go and another until you get it and as mentioned before, find the right person to 'smooth the way' and accept your bucks (offered just to show your understanding and appreciation of their making special allowance for you being an ignorant foreigner).
    Good luck mate.

5. #5 Re: I failed my motorcycle driving test because I used the brake! 
    Unlesss u had 100% know the test rules, don't ride ur/ friend's bike in the test -Just rent from ppl around there -tuned high idle rpm & had the connection (often owned by test centre official's releative) which will turn a blind eye to minor mistake
    In Chinese:
    The rules & tips written by normal guy http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/t_202083.htm (the official one is just BS)
    Doing these will fail!!! http://www.9830.com/ReadNews.asp?NewsID=607
    You broke the ***1.20 摩托车制动时不同时使用前、后制动器*** , so failed.
    Last edited by humanbeing; 05-08-2010 at 12:03 PM.

6. #6 Re: I failed my motorcycle driving test because I used the brake! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Humanbeing,

Thanks, those links are helpful. Most people taking the test went to driving school, where they teach you the rules of the test, but I signed up for the test without going to driving school.

3.发动机代数调到不给油门也能慢速移动且不熄火。
    "Adjust the idle speed so that you can coast slowly without applying the throttle."

Dan

7. #7 Re: I failed my motorcycle driving test because I used the brake! 
    Standard procedure:

8. #8 Re: I failed my motorcycle driving test because I used the brake! 
    Don't worry there is always a first time and next time for a more improve person. Good luck for it.

9. #9 Re: I failed my motorcycle driving test because I used the brake! 
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Hey. I am maybe very biased but I see China as extremely corrupted country, and I suspect you did not pay enough for the "right" people. There is different ways to drive through that kind of test depending of the bike and of the driver, thus there is no universally right way to do it. So if you didn't have problems driving through it, you should have passed.
    It's not that bad here, at least for foreigners. Here in Shanghai I don't know anybody who bribed the police to pass the test. There are many things money can get you but it's not necessary. I think it's a bit s*** that they didn't give Dan another shot considering he didn't know he wasn't supposed to do but at least that will be a lesson learned that may save him from molesting the road with his face.

10. #10 Re: I failed my motorcycle driving test because I used the brake! 
    STILL AMIDST THE TRAFFIC. Ekkicore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Hey. I am maybe very biased but I see China as extremely corrupted country, and I suspect you did not pay enough for the "right" people.
    a BIT.. lol.
    DJ | Promoter | Photographer
    my photography on Flickr.com

QJiang 钱江龙 QJ150-19a (AKA SQUEAZEL?!)