Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    .. and I replaced all the horns in my vehicles that are so pathetic... with nice loud ones..
    Stebel Nautilus

Some panties became brownies as this horn was blown
    Andy

2. #12 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    Great motorcycle website from Victoria, Australia - Spokes.
    It's a cool Flash site which makes it super-user-friendly, and has a great info on Rider Safety, Tips, Info on Protective Clothing (incl. info on European Standards).

Spokes Website: http://www.spokes.com.au/#/home

3. #13 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks Chinabiker for this intersting thread. After having driven 5 years in China on multiple bikes, I can say I am lucky I didnt get more hurt. I felt 2 times with scooters. Those 2 times can be referred to examples 9 and 10!

I am never too careful when I am driving there. Danger can come at anytime and anywhere. Even while driving a car on highway! I already passed by people crossing the highway at night or people cutting the grass and trees who just walks on the left lane.

Drive safe and smart!

4. #14 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    You can add looking out for trucks stopped on the side of the road. The have a habbit of kicking the door wide open, without chekcing. I had a close shave one day. I found out it comes up to the same level as my head.

5. #15 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    If the Worst Happens

Preparation
    A sticker could be stuck to you helmet or be in your wallet saying who you are and some contact details in Chinese for someone you work with, or work for, or a Chinese relative, and the details of how to contact your countries' Embassy or consulate. Also a large sum of cash could be carried on you ($1000+US).

The Reality of Dealing with Chinese Hospitals
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton
    I feel compelled to point out an often overlooked fact that in China hospitals WILL NOT admit you, even in emergency, unless you first make an estimated prepayment, which may run into thousands of dollars. No money no treatment, simple as that. However, there are technical difficulties to meet this requirement if you were involved in an accident and rendered unconscious. We motorcycle riders are probably closer to this possibility than all other people on the road. I am probably a bit paranoid about this and always bring with me a sticker or note in my wallet to make sure someone can foot the bill for me under any circumstances, conscious or unconscious. Just a reminder: TIC.
    The insurance policies in China works by you paying first, then they pay 50-80% (depending on policy) later. This is quite obviously to prevent fraud. The problem is that you need to hand over money for treatment first. Overseas travel insurance may be different in that the Chinese hospital may be able to access funds to cover your treatment at the time you are admitted, the problem is they may not realize this. Carrying a large sum of money maybe 10,000RMB, although not to everyone's taste, and having a risk of theft, certainly means you may be able to get life saving hospital surgery immediately.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

6. #16 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    Great thread! I've had a few close calls with taxi drivers in Shanghai.

When behind a taxi, look into the car to see if they are carrying passengers. If they are, be careful of a door flying open on the right, when the taxi comes to a stop.

If the taxi is empty, watch for waving would-be passengers on the side. Chances the taxi will suddenly swerve to the side to pick them up.

I've changed my horns and lights to make my bike more audible and visible. I am always flashing my lights and honking my horn and it really does help in city driving.

7. #17 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    Agree with all those points. Empty taxis are lethal when they see a potential customer, they never ever look around before swerving.

Although i find them pretty ingnorant, loud horns have saved my arse more than once. I try to use them less, but jam my thumb in there when neccessary. When people hear air horns they think it's a car and are less likely to ignore you.

8. #18 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Agree with all those points. Empty taxis are lethal when they see a potential customer, they never ever look around before swerving.
    Although i find them pretty ingnorant, loud horns have saved my arse more than once. I try to use them less, but jam my thumb in there when neccessary. When people hear air horns they think it's a car and are less likely to ignore you.
    Absolutely spot on, though often taxi drivers will even at times stop middle of the road, intersection or almost any place to collect a fare when they are hailed. Recently I've been noticing more crazy overtaking manoeuvre's by oncoming traffic when passing vehicles. Overtaking on blind corner's is the norm, but now seems more people attempting this and also will do so when there are oncoming motorcycles, scooters approaching, forcing riders to take evasive action. Akin to playing 'russian-roulette' I'm approaching the point where my level of frustration is making me think about carrying some eggs to throw at the offending vehicle or a perhaps a baseball bat. At times I imagine a mental missile launcher is attached to the front of my bike or the very least - me wishing there was one. I won't talk to the fact that a couple of vehicles have been seen driving round, mysteriously missing a drivers side, side mirror...

I swear by the loud horn scenario, and all my bikes have been fitted with dual tone, air-horns or electronic air-horns... and good quality ones at that... as I have done with upgrading the light bulbs to something much brighter... and even HID lights in a couple of them. The horns, I use all the time, anything remotely where someone else might invade my road space, gets several blasts of the said air-horns. I 'swear' it has saved my arse, many times over... us foreigners need to get out of the mindset that horns are only used in aggressive actions as they might be elsewhere, here in China it's very different. Horns are an ESSENTIAL warning device that need/must be used aggressively here and are used as such. That's why, when the SH government changed the city by-laws banning the use of horns within the city confines, I shook my head in disbelief. That should only happen after the locals have been well and truly educated about all things road related, the infrastructure has been designed/redesigned with road safety in mind, with better and more efficient and even appropriate road policing, that's not tantamount to be influenced by BS, as is the case today... Oh, no wait a moment... that sounds more like a developed country... opps, my mistake. [sarcasm]

9. #19 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    Yes I am beginning to see how cars in Shanghai like to play "Chicken" and bully the bikes to the side. The only thing I can do is flash my high beams at them to annoy them.

Actually I have been thinking about getting these handles for my bike in case there is a close pass-by but it would probably cause too much trouble. ;)
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7606840596

Actually I use my horn offensively too. When people park or stop on the side I like to pull up right next to their window and blast my horn and pray I make them stain their pants. I helps me vent.

10. #20 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    these example I have faced some during my riding, very useful and refreshing.
    I generally just stick to relax riding mood, pushing the bike is like pushing the luck. Foresee the danger (& agrressive bastxrds) and don't hesitate using horn!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast