Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    [QUOTE=euphonius;58169]Dear Prince666,

Great post! Thanks for the horror story with the happy ending. Couple of questions/comments:

• Are you saying you just keep the camera running at all times when riding?
    • How big is your memory card and what video settings are you using?
    • How many minutes/hours of video can it hold?
    • Can you program the camera to write over earlier video so that you always have the most recent footage at hand?
    • Or do you have to manage that by hand, i.e., erasing the card before every ride?
    • (Or does the US National Security Agency just archive it for you? They seem to archive everything else...)
    • Have you posted the video of this recent collision on a video sharing site so we can all have a gander?
    • Any chance of using a bit more punctuation in your posts to make them less difficult to read?
    • How was the the 2000 rmb in compensation determined, and was it adequate to cover your repairs and medical expenses?

Thanks!
    euphonius
    [/QUOTE

Hi Euphonius

1... camera is on all the time on the bike or in my car

2...I use a 64GB card and i am trying diffance setting but mainly use the 1080 HD

3...From the GoPro website, here is how much you can record on a 32GB card...

1080p30: 4 hours
    960p30: 6 hours
    720p60: 4 hours
    720p30: 6 hours
    WVGA 120: 4.5 hours

not sure if i get X2 with a 64GB card
    4..... can re-write or save when you get to the end of the card

5...full detail on the GoPro can be found here

http://cbcdn1.gp-static.com/uploads/...G_REVD_WEB.pdf

6...not sure what the NSA can or cant do

7....did not save this one as it was all sorted out by the police sorry

8.... sorry bad eyes

9.... was taken with my bike to a yard a goverment official inspected my bike to make out a report on the cost because he did not know some of the cost of the damaged parts on the CF MOTO bike i had to ring them and find out the price and he added 500 rmb to these cost at this time you could of told him the part cost more ??? i did not and i did not need to ask for medical expenses. The other people paid me in cash as i think they did not have insureance ..

I hope i have answered your question ok

so sfae riding

2. #32 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    [QUOTE=prince666;58175]
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post

• Can you program the camera to write over earlier video so that you always have the most recent footage at hand?
    • Or do you have to manage that by hand, i.e., erasing the card before every ride?

5...full detail on the GoPro can be found here

http://cbcdn1.gp-static.com/uploads/...G_REVD_WEB.pdf
    Ah, Looping Mode. That's perfect. It just keeps recording over earlier stuff. Wonder if my Contour helmet camera will do that.

Thanks for the detailed replies. Very useful.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #33 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    C-Moto Guru
    Wondering if anybody knows the legality of using a GoPro in China? @ Prince666, where did you have the camera mounted that nobody saw it before you presented the evidence?

Awesome story. I am buying one immediately, just a little worried that police may confiscate it if they see it.

4. #34 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    [QUOTE=euphonius;58177]
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post

Ah, Looping Mode. That's perfect. It just keeps recording over earlier stuff. Wonder if my Contour helmet camera will do that.

Thanks for the detailed replies. Very useful.

cheers

hi euphonius

yes it has a loop mode
    Looping Video options inlcude:
    OFF
    (Default)

Max video
    Camera records until memory card is full, then overwrites with a
    new video.
    5 min video

Camera records for 5 minutes, then begins a new video,
    progressively overwriting the previous 5 minute video.

20 min video
    Camera records for 20 minutes, then begins a new video,
    progressively overwriting the previous 20 minute video.

60 min video
    Camera records for 60 minutes, then begins a new video,
    progressively overwriting the previous 60 minute video.

120 min video
    Camera records for 120 minutes, then begins a new video,
    progressively overwriting the previous 120 minute video

Gopro does a full range of contour bases to fit all helmets so i am sure you can get one to fit yours ok

steve

5. #35 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Wondering if anybody knows the legality of using a GoPro in China? @ Prince666, where did you have the camera mounted that nobody saw it before you presented the evidence?

Awesome story. I am buying one immediately, just a little worried that police may confiscate it if they see it.

Hi Huhaus

Have my Gopro fitted as in picture but have had it fitted on my helmet as well and why would it not be legal to have one fitted , police in china dont like pepper work so if you have a video of what happen it sorts out what realy happen in mins and it has time and date stamp on the video as well and why would the police confiscate it ?? as long as you dont video a army base ect you should be ok and why should it be only the goverment allowed to video everything that goes on . When the crash happen i left the camera on the bike and the bike was on its side so no one saw it so let all the other people tell the lies and then let them know you have a video ...

When the police found out i had a video it was great news to them as it sort out the matter very easy so the police could go back to the office and have a cup of tea . When in china one has to protect your rights to a fair hearing and for sure the GoPro does this ok but remember it can work agains you if you was in the wrong like speeding but in my case i only let the police watch the part of the video associated with the crash lol in time all car will have cameras fitted its talk in the uk now about cars which are fitted with GPS trackers which the insurance companies can view the data will get a disscount from the insurance companies so it will not be long before disscount will be given to people who fit cameras as well .

As we all kown when riding in china you need to think outside the box well think outside the box and get a GoPro

sorry foregot to say the GoPron dont come with a LCD screen as standard but if you have a Iphone you can down load a App onto your phone which them lets you view the video by WiFi i did not have the app at that time so i needed a laptop to view the video

220303ru993z47v4t17u92.jpg

so good luck all be safe riding in china

6. #36 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    one more good point is our old mate bikerdoc loves the horn the GoPro recodes sounds as well so in the case of Doc haveing one fitted you will be abel to hear the sound of his horn being used all the time .....

I say this out of jest because the police did ask me did i use my horn when i was getting close to the other bike on the right hand lane to make sure this person was aware of me being there behind him and yes when the video was played back you can hear very clearly me using my horn before the crash so has the Doc tell as all use your horn all the time

steve

7. #37 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    Everyone has told me that, in any case, as the foreigner, you are likely to be judged at fault no matter what. I'm trying to decide now between the GoPro2 or 3 and the SupTig, almost 2000rmb difference...

8. #38 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePope View Post
    Everyone has told me that, in any case, as the foreigner, you are likely to be judged at fault no matter what. I'm trying to decide now between the GoPro2 or 3 and the SupTig, almost 2000rmb difference...
    Video dont lie pope so it will be hard for them to say you are at fault cant help you with what one to buy as i dont know the SupTig but the world best is the GoPro hERO 3 black HD

9. #39 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePope View Post
    The only reason foreigners are often blamed for accidents is that most Chinese people only drive max 3kms away from their home, so when they have an accident they can easily phone 'witnesses' to come and lay blame on you. If they are over 10kms away from home the outcome is decided by the local police and then unsurprisingly the odds are much more in your favor. Those cameras put the odds in your favor even more.

10. #40 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    The only reason foreigners are often blamed for accidents is that most Chinese people only drive max 3kms away from their home, so when they have an accident they can easily phone 'witnesses' to come and lay blame on you. If they are over 10kms away from home the outcome is decided by the local police and then unsurprisingly the odds are much more in your favor. Those cameras put the odds in your favor even more.

Hi Lewis

THat is so true the other bike was very near the place of work and had just come from the look of it from a office across the road from the factory with in 5 mins 10 people all come out the office and the factory and started pointing the finger at me ZMC888 is right generally the police will side with you if you are calm and smile alot lol and the other people are not connected to government official but with the video at hand even god him self could not get out of this one

steve

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast