Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. #41 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    Glad someone rise the blamed issue. Video cam is must. Best in discreet, as possible easy stolen.
    同志仍需努力

2. #42 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    Quote Originally Posted by td_ref View Post
    Glad someone rise the blamed issue. Video cam is must. Best in discreet, as possible easy stolen.
    you dont leave it on the bike it unclips in sec or mount it on your crash helmets at $300 + keep it safe at all times

3. #43 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    Don't forget to muscle-memory the "ape-pinch", pulling the clutch while intermittently pushing horn and lights, while breaking with the right hand and foot, optionally shaking the head in disbelief.

GoPro is onboard ocassionally, also in order to be able to show friends abroad in what conditions the 250cc needs to operate.
    Chinese traffic is unmatched.

It's either
    a) Don't look, just drive
    b) Look, drive anyway

Don't expect anything at anytime, the overall imagination can't come up with those scenarios anyway.

Best description of local traffic I read was "you have a healthy mix of people who have never driven before interspersed with people who should never have been driving in the first place."

4. #44 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDee View Post
    Don't forget to muscle-memory the "ape-pinch", pulling the clutch while intermittently pushing horn and lights, while breaking with the right hand and foot, optionally shaking the head in disbelief.

GoPro is onboard ocassionally, also in order to be able to show friends abroad in what conditions the 250cc needs to operate.
    Chinese traffic is unmatched.

It's either
    a) Don't look, just drive

b) Look, drive anyway

Don't expect anything at anytime, the overall imagination can't come up with those scenarios anyway.

Best description of local traffic I read was "you have a healthy mix of people who have never driven before interspersed with people who should never have been driving in the first place."

So true love the description of chinese drivers ???

5. #45 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    C-Moto Regular
    Chinese drive the same in Canada and the US.... in Toronto a male of Chinese decent made a left in front of me at a intersection in which i had the green. He was Canadian born.... but still tried to claim it was fault because i hit him.
    The police insurance and court found him at fault for impeding my way. he kept saying "but i hit him" ..... anywhere in the world making a left and you get hit .... the driver making the left. except here.

6. #46 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernalpanx View Post
    Chinese drive the same in Canada and the US.... in Toronto a male of Chinese decent made a left in front of me at a intersection in which i had the green. He was Canadian born.... but still tried to claim it was fault because i hit him.
    The police insurance and court found him at fault for impeding my way. he kept saying "but i hit him" ..... anywhere in the world making a left and you get hit .... the driver making the left. except here.
    Another way to look at it is that there are only two rules you must obey, both equally important. Don't hit anything, and don't get hit by anything.

Despite all the above, many foreigners do drive in China and, after adapting, some feel reasonably comfortable and confident about it.
    Right of way

The concept of right-of-way is quite different in China than in many other countries. "First is Right," or less succinctly, any vehicle with a slight position lead or access to a gap before another vehicle has de-facto right of way to enter that gap. This essentially allows for any driver the habit of cutting right out into the traffic flow forcing the opposing vehicle to either stop or crash. This rule applies to lane changes too that can come at anytime from any angle. Be alert to brake at any moment! If you do not force your way in, you will not ever be allowed to enter the flow of traffic at busy sections

7. #47 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    A lot of really good posts here. Thanks to all. I have been riding in Beijing for nearly 3 years. As mentioned in previous posts, the unimaginable happens so expect the worst of other drivers and hopefully be prepared. Ride safely. I have followed a few basic rules that hopefully will help other riders especially new riders. First and foremost I almost always surrender right of way. Assume that all car drivers are out to kill you, so even if you think you own the right of way, give it to the other guy. Always keep your eyes peeled, for debris and holes in the road, missing manhole covers, pedestrians, etc. When I see a pedestrian walking along the road I expect they will step out in front of me and slow down accordingly. The same if I see a dog or a ball on or near the road; expect a child to be following it onto the road. I never assume that anyone is paying attention to traffic lights. So if the light is green at an intersection I automatically assume someone is running the opposing red light. Often making a left turn through opposing traffic without looking. Cars usually turn right onto the road without looking and then slow to almost a crawl while they check to see if they made it through the turn. More recently though I am leery of other motorcycle riders. In the past few months in Beijing electric and motorized bikes, scooters and yes even motorcycle riders seem to be graduating from bicycles to motorized 2 and 3 wheeled rides. Bicycles and pedestrians don't need to know the rules of the road in China. That is even on the test for motorcycle license. So I usually let less experienced riders that pull up beside me, to get in front of me and stay there.

Ride safe drive defensively. It is not always the injuries (although they are bad). The inconvenience of not having your ride to get to work, or of having to replace a mirror or a broken light is bad enough.

8. #48 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    All of this talk about the recent beatdown incident in NYC made me remember a relatively mild crash I was involved in in Guangdong right before the national holiday last week.

A car cut right across in front of me without signaling in Zengcheng, Guangzhou as I was travelling about 20k/h. I was in the bike lane and my adrenaline was high because we had found and been hammering an awesome new jump that you can see in my avatar snapshot. Unfortunately I was in the car's blind spot and my horn shorted out on me a few days before and I smacked the car, then slid across the hood onto the ground. I got back on the bike, as I just had a little road rash and bruises (which I wouldn't feel until days later) and the driver and my friend and I all drove away without saying a word. There was nothing wrong with my bike, but I'm sure the car was dented up nicely.

Key lesson learned - this ONE time - I had decided to go out without all of my gear on and smacked a car. I usually always wear it, but I figured since I was just driving about an hour away I didn't want to be bothered with it. I remember leaving the house, and that naked feeling coming over me as I was speeding through the mountains on the way to meet my friend. I had a premonition - seriously, that I would have an accident. And I did. It was surreal.

Never ride without your gear. I needed that reality check because I've been getting too brave. Be safe.

9. #49 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    The law of advantages states when driving in china

It is not IF you have a accident but WHEN

I try to wear all my gear when i ride but at times when just to pop around to the shop then i dont yes i am a fool .....
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

10. #50 Re: Riding Safe in China - New Rider Guide 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Pretty much every day, the number of times i have close calls is ridiculous. If I was to get involved in road rage, I'd never get anywhere, and spend all of my time in fist fights.

During this last Golden Misery week, on a simple mountain ride ... THREE times in one 20 km stretch of twisties (Black Dragon Pool, for those in Beijing who know), I had oncoming cars/trucks in my lane in blind corners, because they were passing other vehicles leading into the blind corner.

You can't fix stupid. I just accept it as the byproduct of living in China. However, if someone intentionally tries to run me off the road (it happens), they're changing the rules.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast