Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 49 of 74 FirstFirst ... 293947484950515969 ... LastLast
  1. #481 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Quote Originally Posted by FarTravel View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks to all the regulars for the info.

Two weeks ago I went to the Laoshan school in BJ but ran into a problem other have had on here. Was told there's not English version of the new test still. Then called the place where the computer test is administered (not at Laoshan apparently) and was told having a translator wasn't allowed.

Seems from other posts on here my next step would be to just go and try bring a translator anyway. BUT was told at Laoshan that the registration fee for the initial computer test and the rest of the school and tests is all done at once and the fee paid together (can't separate it). They also said that its non-refundable. Meaning if I try the translator thing and it doesnt work I'm stuck and they won't return my 2000+rmb.

So before I do this, anyone have any updates on when and if the English version is coming out. Or whether there is another way. Something I missed?

Cheers from Haidian!

OH, also Xiaofei, you seem to know your stuff. Whats your take on the CQR vs. X2 that you've owned? Thinking about buying one of them if I can get the licence sorted. Would they be any good for longer distance travel?
    When you talk about "not English version of the new test still" are you talking solely about the 100 question computer test or is "laoshan" talking about the whole program that it runs for people to take the test with them ???? could you clarify or have I missed something here
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

2. #482 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    I thought there was too, but was told both at Laoshan and by the test administration people (Chinese friend called) that theres no English test. Could this be true of Beijing only maybe?

I guess I'll just go register, and hope someone one of them was wrong. When its time for the test bring a friend just in case. Hopefully they just let him translate for me

Thanks ZMC
    Don't just take a friend who can just translate, take a friend who knows the answer to the question? IMO
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #483 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hey guys,

Thanks to all the regulars for the info.
    Two weeks ago I went to the Laoshan school in BJ but ran into a problem other have had on here. Was told there's not English version of the new test still. Then called the place where the computer test is administered (not at Laoshan apparently) and was told having a translator wasn't allowed.
    Seems from other posts on here my next step would be to just go and try bring a translator anyway. BUT was told at Laoshan that the registration fee for the initial computer test and the rest of the school and tests is all done at once and the fee paid together (can't separate it). They also said that its non-refundable. Meaning if I try the translator thing and it doesnt work I'm stuck and they won't return my 2000+rmb.
    So before I do this, anyone have any updates on when and if the English version is coming out. Or whether there is another way. Something I missed?
    Cheers from Haidian!
    OH, also Xiaofei, you seem to know your stuff. Whats your take on the CQR vs. X2 that you've owned? Thinking about buying one of them if I can get the licence sorted. Would they be any good for longer distance travel?
    Is the Laoshan school in BJ a MC riding school? 2000+ rmb sounds to me like you are intending to take the whole MC course leading up to sitting the practical and theory tests? If so, then there's the possibility that something is being lost in the communication/translation. If it's not that, then it might be possible that if you do all this through that Laoshan school, that due to some complexities not foreseen, the THEORY test cannot be offered to you in English or a language other than CHS. Maybe there's some misunderstanding somewhere along the way. Maybe one or other thinks someone means one thing, and another takes the response as meaning something different. Cross cultural communication perhaps?
    It's got to be some aspect related to the school...(is my thinking)?
    You really need to have someone who knows about the rules, MC's, the whole process etc. Everyone here (in PRC) will have a view and opinion, which may or may not be correct.
    TIC - LFZ
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

4. #484 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    When you talk about "not English version of the new test still" are you talking solely about the 100 question computer test or is "laoshan" talking about the whole program that it runs for people to take the test with them ???? could you clarify or have I missed something here
    ^ what he wrote...
    - Pablo Picasso

5. #485 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I was referring to the written/computer test that I would need to take at the beginning of the process. And yeah, I need to do the whole process since I've never had a license overseas. From my understanding the process involves first the multiple choice computer test, followed by a couple riding tests. This school is an MC school and they offer the classes which one has to take in order to also take the riding tests at their location. And this I'm sure is only in Chinese which isn't a problem as its spoken. However the initial computer test is not taken at their location, despite the fact that I have to register for all the tests there, and the test as I was told through a friend is not offered in English.

You guys may be right about the miscommunication as my buddy doesn't really speak English, more so dumbs down the chinese that the 'baoming' lady is speaking. This is why I was hoping someone on here has gone through the experience in Beijing recently to see their take, as I presumed there is probably something I'm missing.

I'm going back Monday with a bilingual friend and can hopefully get more info and register. Will post an update if I get any progress.

Thanks again and cheers!

6. #486 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Make sure you ask around and find out if any relatives of friends are in the Gong An, and ask politely for help, flirt with female officers in the police station, ask them about their kids and their schooling and discreetly ask around how much passing different sections of the test cost, just to cut the crap and jump through the hoops quicker. All horrid moves that a sociopath might use to help themselves get ahead in the west are just normal behavior in China.

7. #487 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    My Chinese friend suggested I change my car driving license to the chinese driving license and that way avoid doing the first test (which they still claim to not have in English). Has anyone tried this route?

If the first computer test is indeed the same for motorcycles and cars this might make sense, and then I could forgo doing the computer test and go straight to the driving moto tests. Anyone try this?

8. #488 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    All things being equal (which in PRC they're not), if you go down that route it might prove a hindrance - here's why. When you apply to convert your overseas DL to a PRC DL and successfully pass the written exam - computersied test (and all other parts e.g. medical), and then get your new PRC DL (C1 etc) actually physically issued. Jobs done - all done. Meaning that once the PRC DL is issued, it is sometimes impossible to have anything added or the PRC DL altered in any way until it is time for the renewal - even then it can sometimes be a problem.

So if you were to plan on using the overseas DL to go through the process of gaining a local PRC DL, just so you can sit the 100 question test in English, it might work for you, provided you don't proceed much further with the PRC C1 DL process beyond the exam otherwise even you sit the exam and the results of that are used both for the PRC C1 DL and to proceed with your motorcycle training - and you were to say have the PRC C1 DL actually issued, you might not be able to have the motorcycle endorsement added if successful at the end of the training. Maybe the motorcycle training school might be able to have this aspect sorted for you... but then again, maybe not.
    Be mindful though that you might have some limitations to the period of time that any written/computerised test results remain valid.

It really can be a complicated mess, which is why generally the advice would be, go get a MC DL or endorsement in your home country... real licence with real training.

YMMV
    - Pablo Picasso

9. #489 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Gottcha, seems even more complicated. Gonna just register for the reg. moto test process and bring a friend to translate. Hopefully convince them this is ok.

Went today to register but Laoshan school was closed. Got some new info from calling and talking to some bike shop owners in the area though. So for anyone with interest in doing the same thing in Beijing...
    - The cost at Laoshan for the school and tests (all inclusive) is 2,500rmb.
    - They still claim there is no English version of the test despite my polite protests.
    - For Beijing, this is the only school allowing foreigners. The registration for the first written test is done at Laoshan, but the first (computer) test is administered eslewhere.
    - The nearby shop owners now claim that Beijing's Jing A plate is now 90,000rmb and will continue to rise.

Thanks biker doc and others for your feedback.

10. #490 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Gottcha, seems even more complicated. Gonna just register for the reg. moto test process and bring a friend to translate. Hopefully convince them this is ok.

Went today to register but Laoshan school was closed. Got some new info from calling and talking to some bike shop owners in the area though. So for anyone with interest in doing the same thing in Beijing...
    - The cost at Laoshan for the school and tests (all inclusive) is 2,500rmb.
    - They still claim there is no English version of the test despite my polite protests.
    - For Beijing, this is the only school allowing foreigners. The registration for the first written test is done at Laoshan, but the first (computer) test is administered eslewhere.
    - The nearby shop owners now claim that Beijing's Jing A plate is now 90,000rmb and will continue to rise.

Thanks biker doc and others for your feedback.
    I think price for the school /coach is very low..Becareful of additional costs.

Page 49 of 74 FirstFirst ... 293947484950515969 ... LastLast