Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 38 of 74 FirstFirst ... 182836373839404858 ... LastLast
  1. #371 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Xiaoyin,

The theoretical test in Shanghai will be administered in English if that's what you want. Prior to 2013, it was available in several other languages too (Japanese, German, French, Spanish), but at the turn of the year when they introduced the new questions there was a period of several months when the ONLY tests available were in Chinese. Several MCM members have recently taken the NEW exam in Shanghai in English, and it's these members who are saying the best way to prepare is with the smartphone app.

Needless to say, if you take it in Chinese and pass, you'll have special bragging rights!

No need to do so much guessing and assuming. Ask specific questions of the members who recently took the exams in English, and you'll get specific answers.

Good luck!
    Hi again,

well, my school (Junti Driving School in Hongkou) still does not have the test for motorbikes in English (remember: I'm getting a license from scratch, not converting a foreign one). But I figured out what I need to study for the last exam (科目四): it's called 安全文明驾驶常识考试 and an online version is available here.

In the meantime, I've finished my two driving exams. For the first exam, you just need to drive a slow slalom through five posts, turn around, and drive through the posts again. Done.
    first_exam.jpg

For the second exam, you need to drive over two elevated ...um.... things (sorry, no idea how to call them, but you can see them on the picture below). The instructor told us not to worry about dropping down from the elevated thing, because "you won't ever find this kind of situation when driving on the street" (which makes me wonder why they make us do this).
    After that, you drive up a "hill" and stop. It's required to do a little "dance": put the left foot down first, then the right foot, then pretend to switch the gear with the left foot (we never switched gears during the driving lessons or exams), before you start driving again. Again, that's it.

second_exam.jpg

So as you can see, the driving "lessons" and exams are a complete waste of time. I don't think I've learned anything about driving, though maybe gained a little bit of understanding for the craziness you see on China's streets.

This Friday, I'm gonna take my last exam (well, hopefully it's gonna the last one!). Wish me luck! ;-)

2. #372 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hello everybody,

I finally got my Motorcycle license done back in Germany and now wait to do the Chinese test. I have been there two weeks ago and the waiting time is 6! weeks. - middle of October.
    I was thinking to do the test in Suzhou to reduce waiting time - I could temporarily register in Suzhou as my brother lives there and do the test at the same day...there is no waiting time in at the test center in Suzhou.
    Can I use the Suzhou license in Shanghai and also buy a motorbike that will be registered in Shanghai on that license?
    I read that you should transfer the license to the new place of living ...which i will be doing by using the Suzhou license in Shanghai. Anybody has experience with this. Is it an easy process or does it also involve a lot of paperwork and waiting time?

and one more thing - I am preparing for the test right now using the "driving in china" app on my phone. Anybody who has done the test lately has experience if the questions of the app are up to date and complete?

3. #373 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Does anyone know where I can find some 2013 study materials for free online? I'm not having any luck. First attempt coming up on Wednesday. 加油!

4. #374 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Quote Originally Posted by kiamo View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find some 2013 study materials for free online? I'm not having any luck. First attempt coming up on Wednesday. 加油!
    The best is "Driving in China" on download App... but sorry not free cost $1 but it will be the best $1 you have spent in your life a small price to pay to get a Chinese DL so make up your mind time keep looking for the 2013 question for "free" or be the wise man and PAY

Thats my 2 cents sorry mate
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #375 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    The best is "Driving in China" on download App... but sorry not free cost $1 but it will be the best $1 you have spent in your life a small price to pay to get a Chinese DL so make up your mind time keep looking for the 2013 question for "free" or be the wise man and PAY

Thats my 2 cents sorry mate

I'd happily drop a few bucks on an app (that's what I did to pass my UK car and bike theories), however, I can't find anything (current) for android. :(

6. #376 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Noob
    I am on a former F-business Visa (now: M) valid 1 year 90 days multi-entry, can I apply for a driving license as well? Or only with a Work Visa?

7. #377 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Quote Originally Posted by plorf View Post
    I am on a former F-business Visa (now: M) valid 1 year 90 days multi-entry, can I apply for a driving license as well? Or only with a Work Visa?
    There is no definitive answer, this depends on your local Gong An, and their interpretation of the law. Possibly not long enough, but ask.

8. #378 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem im having getting my license. I've read through a lot of posts on this site trying to find an answer, and i think i found a few but i could use some help with the details.
    So, Im living in Zhuji, Zhejiang. I went to the test center in Zhuji yesterday with a friend and found that they only have the test in Chinese. I got a confusing yesno answer to the question of can i bring a translator. Im pretty sure its not an option though. So i went to Hangzhou today to see if i could take the test there but i couldn't since my residence isn't in hangzhou.
    So my options are 1) take the test in chinese, or 2) transfer my residence to hangzhou. I've seen people recommending that second option a few times. Has anyone actually done that? How could i do that and what would i need besides a friend in Hangzhou?
    Will the Zongshen RX3 survive??http://kelleyssilkroad.blogspot.com/

9. #379 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    In a small place like that, you should be able to talk your way in with a translator. Be sure you are applying for a license with a motorcycle endorsement, otherwise they will give you the one for a car only. Triple check this, otherwise you'll be totally wasting your time. And check it again and again. Someone in the value chain will always say, oh, this is a foreigner; surely they don't want a motorcycle endorsement, and change to car only.

cheers
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #380 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    [...] Be sure you are applying for a license with a motorcycle endorsement, otherwise they will give you the one for a car only. Triple check this [...]
    ^ this ^

They can be very reluctant to give the E (motorized 2 wheels) license with C1 (cars).

Meanwhile, in Shanghai 5 years ago, a friend of mine got C1D (cars & motorized 3 and 2 wheels) without asking nor having the moto stamp on his car license, go figure.

-

Regarding ur options, I'd say trying option 1 is easier, if u got confusing yes/no answer it means yes, u can, but gotta pay or/and make stupid papers at some stupid place, dig in the question, go back to the test center with a Chinese friend.

If it was me I'd try passing in Hangzhou (if u know for sure they have a test in English). U can probably find someone who know someone there, they probably can do the residence papers for u against some $.

Still, don't let them discourage u, get ur license.

- - -

(nice profile picture btw, love this bike)

Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

Page 38 of 74 FirstFirst ... 182836373839404858 ... LastLast