Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 30 of 74 FirstFirst ... 102028293031324050 ... LastLast
  1. #291 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Yeah, seems you've got everything in order. If Guilin is allowing other foreigners to register bikes, the transfer should be possible. What was the rationale for registering through a local person? Have those conditions changed?

Why not go for a more robust visa? Find a company to sponsor you for a work permit, and get a one- or multiple-year residence permit...
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #292 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 

Why not go for a more robust visa? Find a company to sponsor you for a work permit, and get a one- or multiple-year residence permit...
    [/QUOTE]

im not married, not working, just riding motos on a tourist visa, but plan to be here for awhile...

originally, in guilin...no moto plates given...10 minutes away...LinGui...guilin spelled backwards issues plates to people who live in that city...so she had paper for that city....therefore, lic plate in her name....got to get it in my name as i dont have someone i want to marry...he he

3. #293 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Quote Originally Posted by kikikillercat View Post

im not married, not working, just riding motos on a tourist visa, but plan to be here for awhile...

originally, in guilin...no moto plates given...10 minutes away...LinGui...guilin spelled backwards issues plates to people who live in that city...so she had paper for that city....therefore, lic plate in her name....got to get it in my name as i dont have someone i want to marry...he he
    Maybe transfer the three bikes slowly, one at a time, or she might get suspicious....

Reminds me of a guy I know who moved to Hawaii with his wife. Over the course of a year, she slowly moved stuff out. A pair of shoes at a time. Then before he realized it, poof, the closet was empty and she was gone.
    jkp
    Shanghai

4. #294 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Senior
    How do you get to stay so long on a simple tourist visa?

Surely you have to depart China every 30 / 60 / 90 days ?

Gra.

5. #295 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Does anybody have experience with doing a motorcycle license in Shanghai from Scratch?
    It seems that I would have to do driving lessons and theory lessons. I would do that if that is what it takes.
    But I cannot find a driving school that can provide lessons in english and my chinese is not good enough to survive in a classroom.

6. #296 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Since I live in Guangzhou and therefore cannot get a motorcycle license here, I thought I would find a way to use my wife's hometown, Zhaoqing - about an hour and a half from GZ, to do it. I do not have a motorcycle license from the states. She called the driver's license issuing dept. in Zhaoqing yesterday and was told that, as a foreigner, I could not get a moto license in Zhaoqing without having a current ML from the U.S. She didn't ask about having a translator present. I'm just sharing that...

7. #297 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    How do you get to stay so long on a simple tourist visa?

Surely you have to depart China every 30 / 60 / 90 days ?

Gra.

yes 90 day multiple entry visa....i usually go somewhere anyway..like taiwan or hong kong.

i have to go to the US to get new one every year....but then i do have family there so its ok.

8. #298 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden boy View Post
    Does anybody have experience with doing a motorcycle license in Shanghai from Scratch?
    It seems that I would have to do driving lessons and theory lessons. I would do that if that is what it takes.
    But I cannot find a driving school that can provide lessons in english and my chinese is not good enough to survive in a classroom.
    Dear Golden Boy,

The information you need is in this thread. Just a few days ago TB-Racing posted detailed information. It can be done, and many have done it from scratch. Yes, you have to take a driving course, and pass a road test as well as a written exam. All that's changed recently is that the written exams are being updated, and the road testing is becoming more rigorous. Bite the bullet and do it.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #299 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi euphonius,
    I read TB-racings post, but I was hoping someone has done it more recently, without translator and not out in kunshan.
    I know, thats much to ask for, but I want find out if there is a more convenient way than what TB-Racing suggsted.
    So if you know any - let me know,

thanks

10. #300 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi everybody,

just to share my expereince from getting my driving license beginning of this week in Shanghai.

I had already the motorbike license form Europe, so I had to only make the written test. The test questions changed partly in Jan 2013, so most of the preparation material floating around in the net is partly outdated. Based on this fact, I decided to get help from an agency (contact details can be provided). The agent charged me RMB 1,200. This fee included all official charges for the licnese (picture, fee etc), a catalogue with the new questions (unfortunately only a Google translation) and access to their mock test (with the old questions). Going to the agency for the first time in beginning of Feb, they took some pictures, arranged the test date andprovided me the test material described above. The helath test, they managed to skip and the translation of my European DL was not neede, as I had a valid European International DL including a Chinese translation. At this stage, it was important to check, that they are applying for the correct license C1D or C1E!

The following weeks I went through the new test questions with the horrible Google transaltion. The most importnat new thing is, that they have set of questions with pictures showing different traffic situations and equipment from the car (dashboard lights pedals, switches) The questions with no pictures are not so much different from the ones you know from the old catalogue. In addition, I made som mock tests on the old platform.

In the final test, not a single motorcycle question was included, and about 10 questions were with pictures only avialble in the new question catalogue. Some questions were defintely from the old catlaogue. this makes the situation ab it tricky at the moment.

The test is not easy and straight forward. Without a proper preparation, you are f...ed up. There were two other guys there coming without a proper preparation, and their reactions after they saw their results clearly showed, that you do not have any chance if you do not take it serious.

Page 30 of 74 FirstFirst ... 102028293031324050 ... LastLast