Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 7 of 74 FirstFirst ... 56789172757 ... LastLast
  1. #61 Re: Why you should get a license ... 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Not sure I follow your logic. Who is saying there's an upper limit of 200cc for registration? Fuyang or Xiaoshan? Or Hangzhou itself? If Hangzhou has banned bikes, as it has, it doesn't matter where your bike is registered; it's not welcome. My Shanghai-plated Jialing is not welcome in Hangzhou, though I've passed through several times -- bang through the middle of town -- with no issues. (In fact, it may be that I was not hassled precisely because I was displaying an out-of-town plate.) I can ride my Shanghai-plated bike anywhere in China where bikes are allowed, so why would you not be able to ride in various areas of Zhejiang on a JH600 with plates from, say, Anji, or perhaps Ningbo (perhaps with help from bikerdoc, who has plated numerous bikes in some district there)?

I also don't understand the logic of registering a 250cc bike if the upper limit is 200cc. Go for the JH600, and get legal plates in some jurisdiction where this is not an issue, then ride the bike you want, wherever you want (subject to local restrictions).

My 50 fen worth...

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #62 Re: Why you should get a license ... 
    My logic would be that I'd like to register in Fuyang, because that's where the bike will have it's home in a garage, ready for me to use.
    Suppose, say, next year Fuyang have the great idea to ban motorbikes I would still be able to ride as I have Fuyang plates, while if I have a Anji plate I would have a real problem, a bike sitting in a garage that can't go out legally.

As for the 200cc limit I'm surprised as well, but Jialing nearest dealer (in XiaoShan) said is impossible to register anything above 200 cc either in XiaoShan or Fuyang, while Fuyang Yamaha dealer said it's no problem to register a YBR250.

I'n not sure why, it doesn't make any kind of logic to me, but since I live in China I stopped asking too many questions, to me the Yamaha dealer has connections while the Jialing dealer has no connection or can't be asked to embark in the hassle of registering a JH600.

I feel the dealer should solve the wenti, not me, that's their job, not mine. I found ridiculous the Jialing dealer saying he could sell me the bike, but
    i would need to register on my own, as he said can't be done nearby.

3. #63 Re: Why you should get a license ... 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar

I love reading threads where the logic of Chinese "rules" is discussed.

4. #64 Re: Why you should get a license ... 
    This has probably been posted elsewhere already, but here tis again just in case.
    http://www.shekouonline.com/drivingtest.html

Looks pretty useful.

5. #65 Re: Why you should get a license ... 
    Quote Originally Posted by robtho View Post
    This has probably been posted elsewhere already, but here tis again just in case.
    http://www.shekouonline.com/drivingtest.html

Looks pretty useful.
    Nice post. And nice that someone went to the trouble of setting this up with the automatic scoring feature.

I see it has 802 questions, only two of which mention motorcycles (I searched). I'd heard the total universe of questions was 1500, so this may be the car-only exam. Those of us in this forum will want to be sure to cover motorcycle-related questions, as we are usually given a test that includes these.

The motorcycle test is available online, and I think I have the questions in my laptop.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

6. #66 Re: Why you should get a license ... 
    My understanding is that the person who put it together is doing so on his own time and that it's a work in progress. He lists his email on the page so I'm guessing the more people take the time to let him know that his effort is appreciated the more likely he is to continue. Well I hope he does anyway.

I've managed to work my way through 600 of the questions so far and am learning heaps already.

Is the URL for the online test posted here anywhere please?

7. #67 Re: Why you should get a license ... 
    Dear Rob,

There are a couple of government URLs earlier in this thread, here. These are from the Shanghai Traffic Management Bureau, but the tests are national in nature so there should be no difference between those found here and those in other cities.

As mentioned many times before, it's best to avoid applying logic to these questions -- or you'll quickly go mad. Just memorize the "right" answer even if it makes no sense at all, and you'll pass with flying colors. Sample question: Is it legal to wear high-heeled shoes while riding a motorcycle? (It's in there somewhere...)

Happy cramming!
    cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

8. #68 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Thank you kind sir. I was thinking the reason I was struggling with understanding some of these questions was due to either something being missed in the translation or the breakdown on my cognitive abilities due to the onset of advanced age.

Well with all of these tools at my disposal now I should be well prepared for the tests in August.

9. #69 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Good luck to you. As you'll have seen, one member recently set the bar very high, acing the written test with a 100 score. All you need is 90. On mine I think there were 50 questions. Here in Shanghai the test is administered on a computer screen, and processed as soon as you submit it. So you know right away. Alas, they will not allow you to check which ones (if any) you missed, which is a bit stupid, if you ask me.

Be sure to review them all once more 24 hours or less before your exam. Lest you succumb to errant logic.

Where in China did you say you are moving, or is this just a visit?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

10. #70 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Good luck to you. As you'll have seen, one member recently set the bar very high, acing the written test with a 100 score. All you need is 90. On mine I think there were 50 questions. Here in Shanghai the test is administered on a computer screen, and processed as soon as you submit it. So you know right away. Alas, they will not allow you to check which ones (if any) you missed, which is a bit stupid, if you ask me.

Be sure to review them all once more 24 hours or less before your exam. Lest you succumb to errant logic.

Where in China did you say you are moving, or is this just a visit?

cheers
    Thanks for the tips. I lived in GZ several years ago and have been making irregular trips back ever since we shifted over to Japan. My plan is to get organised and legal for bike ownership and operation somehow and to make more trips of several months duration over the next few years to get into more out of the way places than I've managed by following the guide books. I still have friends in Yiwu and GZ who are willing to help me.

Page 7 of 74 FirstFirst ... 56789172757 ... LastLast