Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 15 of 74 FirstFirst ... 51314151617253565 ... LastLast
  1. #141 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Passed my test on Friday!!! 99/100. I studied way too much I guess, I just couldn't bear the thought of not passing and having to wait around until next Friday and the possible hassles of booking a re-test. Should hopefully get my license tomorrow when I drop off all my papers.

Registering a bike in my name, or rather the fact that I can't do it, has lead me to buy second hand. As soon as I get my physical license I'm heading to Chongqing, this seems to be the source for all enduros in China. Guilin is currently out of stock.

2. #142 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Congratulations on nearly acing the test. With all this work, and the purchase of a bike, you may never end your "vacation" and return to Canada...

Keep us posted about what you buy and how.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #143 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Guru
    Soberpete will soon be getting his C1E license!!

My story differs only a little from the others in this thread but it could still help others in the future.
    More will follow soon about precisely how the PRC dealt with this foreigner's license application.

4. #144 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Quote Originally Posted by soberpete View Post
    Soberpete will soon be getting his C1E license!!

My story differs only a little from the others in this thread but it could still help others in the future.
    More will follow soon about precisely how the PRC dealt with this foreigner's license application.
    What has soberpete been using up to now? Riding without? I'm shocked, shocked!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

5. #145 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    What has soberpete been using up to now? Riding without? I'm shocked, shocked!

cheers
    Me too Euphonius. Me too, as soon as I realised that it wasn't a substitute for a license.

6. #146 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Guru
    For the past three years I thought Id been riding around Shandong with a document from the foreign relations and business office (F.R.B.O.) that translated my UK driving license allowing me to legally ride motorcycles in China; Actually that document was only part of an application to get tested (theory test) and later acquire a real Chinese license.
    Foolish Pete .

This post takes a little while to read so unless youre interested in the story you can just skip to the summary at the bottom.

A few days ago I went back to that same (FRB) office with my U.S. driving license and told them it was for both cars and motorcycles (not the whole truth but they couldnt tell and didnt care), I wanted to apply for a C1E license and needed it translated. They told me that they werent sure the license issuing office (the L.I.O.) would accept the document they could produce for me but I could give it a try.

I took it to the L.I.O along with my passport + visa and all other documents I could think of to take. I was turned back from the L.I.O. and told to come back with the following things:
    A health check document (from another local L.I.O medical office, not just any doctor who can perform a health check)
    The western license translation document
    My U.S. license
    A certificate of residence (from the police station nearest to my school/home)
    My passport

I went to the local police station first, told them what I needed and what it was for. They also needed ALL of the above documents before giving me my certificate of residence. I provided the docs requested and it took three of them (including the stations lieutenant) about 15 minutes to wing their way through a form; no problems there.

The health check at the medical office took a few hours because of the queues: there were so many people there getting checked for their licenses too. They needed my passport + visa, U.S. license and the translation document too, so to those who want to do this in the future be sure to take EVERYTHING with you as well as some cash: at least 100rmb but more is better; it would probably gain you some favour with them if you have change too because it usually costs 70-90rmb for the first payment. I first had to have my photo taken, then have an eye test + colourblindness test + hearing test before they sent me back to the L.I.O.
    ***Note***
    The guys at the medical office only wrote C1 (car driving license, NO motorcycles) on the medical certificate. When I noticed this I told them that wasn't what I was after. My license translation document stated that I was eligible for a C1E. They said that all I had to do was explain this to the people at the L.I.O and they would change it there.

I finally returned to the L.I.O. and gave them everything they asked for. It was 16:30 and they were due to close at 17:00 so the place was pretty empty.
    They first asked me to photocopy my passport ID page, visa page and drivers license at their photocopying desk. It was 3rmb for 3 pages. I would advise taking previously prepared photocopies with you but the photocopies here were immediately stamped and dated with the insignia of the L.I.O. so I dont know if theyd accept anything that youve prepared beforehand.
    I waited around for a little bit while the female employee took my paperwork to her superior for advice because there was nothing in her training that explained how to deal with foreigners.
    Meanwhile I was exchanging eye contact and flirty glances from numerous other middle-aged female employees who had been following every verbal exchange - between myself and the other employee - from behind the counter while waiting around for closing time (T-minus twenty minutes).
    I noticed some commotion and negative facial expressions during the chat between the employee and superior followed by the return of the employee who told me I can only choose between a car OR a motorcycle license; I couldnt possibly get a license for both (the legendary C1E).
    I was beginning to feel pressure but I didn't give in, I held my calm composure. Chinas general lack of workplace guidelines ultimately leads superiors into making random, single-second decisions based on their feelings because they cant bear loosing face in-front of their underlings for not knowing absolutely everything; this can also work in your favour... like so: I replied "But I have a friend in another province that got his C1E this way. Why cant I? Again, not the whole truth but they couldnt tell.
    She went back to her superior and was met with a very aggressive, negative but uncertain reply. At that time, three or four of the other workers who had previously been eyeing me up interjected simultaneously and asked the superior to double check whether or not they were allowed to issue a C1E to someone providing them with a translated license document. The superior immediately withdrew and when the employee returned to my desk I saw her enter C1E into the form on the computer . She gave me a set of documents, told me that when I was ready I could book a test from their website and I was on my way.

Summary
    1. Make about three photocopies of your passport, visa, driving license and anything else that you think is important. Take these with you to each and every place.
    2. Get a certificate of residence from your local police station (ask your school which one they registered you with if youre not sure which one).
    3. Have your home country's driving/riding license translated at the F.R.B.O.
    ***Note***
    I doubt that its actually called an F.R.B.O. I just made that up for the sake of convenience during this post. I only knew how to find this building because a Chinese friend took me there when I explained that I wanted to translate my license into a Chinese driving license.
    4. Take your passport with you to each and every place.
    5. Take your home countries driving license to each and every place too.
    6. Im pretty sure youll need to go to the L.I.O. first before they give you an address for a specific office in which you must have your health/eye + hearing + colourblindness check. It should look sort of like a police station overflowing with random people, traffic lights (inside and around the building entrance), road signs on the walls and traffic lanes painted on the floor... Sort of like a kindergarten or Pat Sharps fun house; if youre from the U.K. youll likely know that old TV show.
    ***Note***
    It opened at 08:30. When I got there just before 9am there was a HUGE queue. Unless you like waiting I suggest getting there about 20 minutes before they are due to open. Also, they have very strange hours (Zibo, Zhangdian 08:30-11:30 _ 18:00 - 21:00) so ask the L.I.O. personnel for the hours and address if they don't inform you first. They informed me straight away but just be aware.
    7. When youve obtained everything above, take it all back to the L.I.O.
    ***Note***
    I made the abbreviation L.I.O. up too, for the sake of convenience. I cant remember what its called. Its where everyone goes to get a driving license. Ask a Chinese friend who knows the city youre in where to find it.
    8. There are often no written rules on how they issue these licenses to foreigners so theyll do whatever they feel is correct, even if it is easiest just to shun you by sending you on a wild goose chase for any document they can think of regardless of how it applies to the thing you are requesting. It helps if the Chinese think youre pretty or handsome:
    -Blond hair
    -Tall/not very short
    -Pale/white skin
    -Blue or green eyes
    -Long eyelashes
    -Big/slender nose (some Chinese people think thats attractive)

I only have two of the above and it helps a lot.

P.s. I've been careful to state - when necessary - that I don't need to do the practical/road test (lu kao 路考). When those at the L.I.O., the medical office or the police station asked me what I was applying for I stated "A translation of my western driving license".
    One person asked me if I was planning to do the practical/road test and I said "No, I only need to have my license translated" and "Yes, the translation document states that I can drive cars and ride motorcycles so I need the C1E license".
    I was told by the L.I.O. employee, at the end of it all, that I need to do a theory test. She said nothing about the practical. I don't want to spend money and hours on end driving a small, rusty, Chinese pickup truck around a parking lot day after day. I wouldn't learn anything knew from that.

I hope this post helps other's who are interested in getting a Chinese driving/riding license.

7. #147 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Guru
    Question 3.1.1.4
    To prevent the front wheels from floating off when accelerating, the driver should keep his body to ______.
    A. The back
    B. The left
    C. The right
    D. The front

The answer was D.jpg

Answer: D

I guess you just can't lean back on China bikes.
    Thanks to Jape for the original photo from his mcm patch thread.
    Last edited by soberpete; 03-20-2012 at 04:48 AM.

8. #148 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Good stuff, Pete! Did you get to the question yet about whether it's legal to ride a motorcycle wearing high heels? I'm not making this up.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

9. #149 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Good stuff, Pete! Did you get to the question yet about whether it's legal to ride a motorcycle wearing high heels? I'm not making this up.

cheers!
    Indeed I have. That's just one of the many that really made me chuckle.
    This test really is a good laugh, but necessary.

10. #150 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Guru
    7.1.1.9 The article that cannot be used to stop bleeding by dressing is _________.
    A. Bondage
    B. Sling
    C. Tourniquet
    D. Hemp rope

Answer: D
    Bondage can be used to stop bleeding by dressing.
    TIC.

Page 15 of 74 FirstFirst ... 51314151617253565 ... LastLast