Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 21 of 74 FirstFirst ... 111920212223314171 ... LastLast
  1. #201 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Senior
    Thanks all,

Still around the 84 - 86 out of 100.

But I think, if I got the "right" 100 questions, then I would get them all right !!!!!

But then I might get the "wrong" 100 questions, and look like a real dork, with just 20 right !!

Oh well, the joys,,,,,, may be they will let me pick which " 100 " ??

Gra.

2. #202 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    may be they will let me pick which " 100 " ??

Gra.
    If you slip a 'hong bao' to the right person in the examination room they might even let you pick your score

3. #203 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Hi all, heres the latest info on getting a Chinese driving license in Shanghai.

In case you are wondering "how do I get the bloody licence in Shanghai" - I have just registered for the test yesterday, heres the story + manual.

Unlike probably most of people here in the forum I dont have a residence permit and Im on an F visa that I have to renew every 6 months in HK. So that was my first concern when going to the register. Another one, my visa is made in Shenzhen, and from what I was told in traffic police office ( I went to the wrong place first ) that Shanghai rules are different and I will probably have to go to Shenzhen to pass my test. Whatever it takes, I was ready for anything as Im planning a cross China bike trip next year.

I finally found the correct office (its in Hami rd, Shanghai zoo metro stop on line 10) and was in for a nice surprise that my visa is OK ( there have to be 90 days of stay left in it on the day you pass the test) and all I need to get it sorted is translate my international licence, bring the registration paper (where you live) and they will put sing me up for a test. I was very happy. So I ran to translation office, 100rmb/5 minutes - done. Than ran to a nearby hostel to get the registration form. Did that but had a doubt as the paper was pink and the one I was showed in the driving office was white. So I get hostel to call the DL office and they confirm, that I have to go to police station to get the white paper. So I do. In the police they start waving their hands in my face saying that I have to have a permanent place of registration, like an apartment, the hotel wont do. So what do I do if I stay in hotel for 6 months?! No one can tell or wants to help and they try to get rid of me so Im someone else's problem. I refused to go until they give me answers what to do. After more than an hour of walking up and down the corridor with hands behind my back, one young officer takes a pity on me and calls his mate in the DL office, who tells him, that the pink registration form is ok. So Im off to DL office across town again. It was close to 4pm when I got there and it was a good thing, as thats the time of the day, when everybody starts to work fast, to shift the remaining people, so they can go home. So I get my picture taken, fly by the medical test and get signed up for a theory test on a second day of Christmass. I have to make sure I to bring a valid registration paper ( as hostel only put 10 days on it and it has to be up to date on the day you go in for a test) and know the answers to the questions. PHEWW!

So: Translated driving licence and registration paper where you stay and a visa that has 90 days remaning is pretty much all you need to be allowed to pass the test, and it costs around 300rmb including the translation.
    Previous bikes:
    Jawa 350 1971; Triumph Tiger 900 1999; Yamaha XT600 1995; Honda CX450 1983; Suzuki DRZ-E 400 1998; Sanlg 125cc 2007.

Forever bicycle now.

4. #204 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakas View Post
    Hi all, heres the latest info on getting a Chinese driving license in Shanghai.

In case you are wondering "how do I get the bloody licence in Shanghai" - I have just registered for the test yesterday, heres the story + manual.

Unlike probably most of people here in the forum I dont have a residence permit and Im on an F visa that I have to renew every 6 months in HK. So that was my first concern when going to the register. Another one, my visa is made in Shenzhen, and from what I was told in traffic police office ( I went to the wrong place first ) that Shanghai rules are different and I will probably have to go to Shenzhen to pass my test. Whatever it takes, I was ready for anything as Im planning a cross China bike trip next year.

I finally found the correct office (its in Hami rd, Shanghai zoo metro stop on line 10) and was in for a nice surprise that my visa is OK ( there have to be 90 days of stay left in it on the day you pass the test) and all I need to get it sorted is translate my international licence, bring the registration paper (where you live) and they will put sing me up for a test. I was very happy. So I ran to translation office, 100rmb/5 minutes - done. Than ran to a nearby hostel to get the registration form. Did that but had a doubt as the paper was pink and the one I was showed in the driving office was white. So I get hostel to call the DL office and they confirm, that I have to go to police station to get the white paper. So I do. In the police they start waving their hands in my face saying that I have to have a permanent place of registration, like an apartment, the hotel wont do. So what do I do if I stay in hotel for 6 months?! No one can tell or wants to help and they try to get rid of me so Im someone else's problem. I refused to go until they give me answers what to do. After more than an hour of walking up and down the corridor with hands behind my back, one young officer takes a pity on me and calls his mate in the DL office, who tells him, that the pink registration form is ok. So Im off to DL office across town again. It was close to 4pm when I got there and it was a good thing, as thats the time of the day, when everybody starts to work fast, to shift the remaining people, so they can go home. So I get my picture taken, fly by the medical test and get signed up for a theory test on a second day of Christmass. I have to make sure I to bring a valid registration paper ( as hostel only put 10 days on it and it has to be up to date on the day you go in for a test) and know the answers to the questions. PHEWW!

So: Translated driving licence and registration paper where you stay and a visa that has 90 days remaning is pretty much all you need to be allowed to pass the test, and it costs around 300rmb including the translation.
    Dear Bakas,

Thanks for this useful, detailed and encouraging update, and thanks for posting it in this thread -- right where it belongs. Excellent to know that short-termers on 6-month F business visas can qualify for taking the driver's license exam, as this has been the single most vexing obstacle to getting legal without a (1-year) residence permit. Ninety days is hugely more manageable than 180 days, since F visas are generally pretty easy to get, especially through an agent in Hong Kong.

In this new China of nightly sobriety checkpoints and interprovincial security checkpoints, especially in "riding country" in the west of China, you'll now have huge peace of mind knowing that you've got a 5- or even 10-year driver's license in your pocket. You're substantially reducing your risk of an involuntary 15-day stay in Hotel Laojiao.

Next question will be whether this new standard is exceptional for Shanghai, or will become a standard across China.

Did they give you any grief about getting the Class E designation, which licenses you for both car and motorcycle? Most applicants care only about Class C for cars only.

Great work, and many thanks on behalf of the many MCM readers who dream of riding in China without moving here full time!

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #205 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    There is a big chance I was plain lucky to talk to an officer who had some sense and when I went back for a second time I went straight back to her. My friend was there few months ago with a working visa (Z) from Beijing and was told to go and pass the test in BJ. This means the rules are still somehow undetermined. I was repeating that I want both car and bike categories like a prayer until she said relax, what you have on your original license is what you are going to get on Chinese. Very straight forward.
    Previous bikes:
    Jawa 350 1971; Triumph Tiger 900 1999; Yamaha XT600 1995; Honda CX450 1983; Suzuki DRZ-E 400 1998; Sanlg 125cc 2007.

Forever bicycle now.

6. #206 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Senior
    Great !!

I am in Weifang, Shandong, Weicheng district.

We are going tomorrow with my "L" visa (married to Chinese girl) to the Weicheng traffic department.
    I will firstly need to ask them where to do the medical.
    Regarding your home country driving licence translation,
    Can it be done by anyone, or does it need to be done some where official?
    Did you need to take a photocopy of each side of your home country driving licence?

So, I have my living registration papers.
    I have my "L" visa with more than 90 days.
    I have my UK car and full big bike licence.
    Looks like her will have to bring the 300 quai for me !!

Did you just register for the test, or did you do it there, at that time?

Pass ???

Gra.

7. #207 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Great !!

I am in Weifang, Shandong, Weicheng district.

We are going tomorrow with my "L" visa (married to Chinese girl) to the Weicheng traffic department.
    I will firstly need to ask them where to do the medical.
    Regarding your home country driving licence translation,
    Can it be done by anyone, or does it need to be done some where official?
    Did you need to take a photocopy of each side of your home country driving licence?

So, I have my living registration papers.
    I have my "L" visa with more than 90 days.
    I have my UK car and full big bike licence.
    Looks like her will have to bring the 300 quai for me !!

Did you just register for the test, or did you do it there, at that time?

Pass ???

Gra.
    The medical and the photos as well as the overseas DL translation are all handled by an official provider that will often be found in close proximity to the DL issuing police station, but being that this is China, TIC applies. Take all your documents, (DL, passport, PSB registration slip, marriage certificate etc and copies of all these just in case) with you to the applicable traffic PSB station which handles DL testing and issuing and they will direct to the other providers locations e.g. where you have to get your photos done, where the medical is completed etc. You most likely will find that you can do most of the procedural things on the same day if you start out first thing in the morning. Usually round these places there are a few people that can be hired for a fee to assist you with navigating the procedural aspects etc.

If you manage to get everything completed to the ACCEPTANCE of those in charge, you MIGHT be able to sit the computer generated 100 question test the same day, but this is at the discretion of those in charge of such procedural matters. Notwithstanding though that one should have already read and firmly committed to memory the MCQ test questions and answers. If one gets less than 94% (if I remember correctly) then that is a fail. Plus I think that there were several questions that much be answered correctly regardless and irrespective of the percentage. If one gets those answers wrong or less than the cut off percentage then the test has to be sat again, but at another time.

Again, the caveat here is that TIC and as with all things, your experience may differ. Good luck, cause I have a feeling you might very well need it.

8. #208 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Theres a month worth of waiting list to go sit in the exam room here in Shanghai. The best is just go there and see for yourself. Best of luck!
    Previous bikes:

Forever bicycle now.

9. #209 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Senior
    OK, here it is for Weifang.
    Bear in mind, WEIFANG IS NOT SHANGHAI.

We collected my passport with my "L" visa at 09:30 this morning from the Weifang PSB.
    Then a short 5 minute taxi ride to the Weifang Translation services, this cost a robbing 260 rnb, for 10 minutes work.
    Then a short 10 taxi ride to the Weifang traffic department. Address later.
    Then register at a reception desk, here the documents are checked.
    Pay 70 rnb
    Visa,
    Residence certificate location,
    original driving licence,
    Copy of both sides of driving licence
    Translated driving licence, this does not have any picture of the driving licence, just text.
    copy of "L" visa page in passport,
    copy of details page in back of passport.
    You must have a Chinese name.
    You must sign the application form with your Chinese name.
    Then to the healthy check, cost 65 rnb, which is in same building.
    Then to photographs, you get a sheet of 10 which is in the 70 rnb price paid before.
    Wait 5 mins, get your photos.
    Go back to healthy check desk, there it is just eyesight colour test.
    Then still in same building, go to 2F fro the examination hall.
    I sat for the exam at 11:15, same day, so quite quick at Weifang.
    Unfortunately, I only scored 86 on first attempt.
    Now it was lunch time, and the place closed.
    So we went home for lunch.
    There is no afternoon testing on Fridays in Weifang.
    I will go back on Monday for my 2nd test, which is included in the 70 rnb price paid at the beginning.

I hope I can do better on Monday.
    There was only about 6 people in the examination hall, which has aprox. 100 computer desk places.

The first thing that struck me was just how very friendly every one was there.
    Every one had a smiling face, every one was cheerful.
    When I went back to the first girl, to return my registration sheet, after just getting 86, she commented that getting 86 for a foreigner, for first try was very good.

Gra.

10. #210 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post

If you manage to get everything completed to the ACCEPTANCE of those in charge, you MIGHT be able to sit the computer generated 100 question test the same day, but this is at the discretion of those in charge of such procedural matters.

If one gets less than 94% (if I remember correctly) then that is a fail. Plus I think that there were several questions that much be answered correctly regardless and irrespective of the percentage. If one gets those answers wrong or less than the cut off percentage then the test has to be sat again, but at another time.

Again, the caveat here is that TIC and as with all things, your experience may differ. Good luck, cause I have a feeling you might very well need it.
    Hello BikerDoc,

Sorry to tell you,

You are wrong on the 94%
    You are wrong on the "several questions must be answered correctly"
    All questions have the same weighting.

You can sit the re-sit exam same morning, or same day, but on Friday, there is no afternoon sitting in Weifang.
    If I had got there for say 10:00am, done one test and failed, then I could have quite easily done the 2nd test within 10 minutes of walking out of the first test.

Gra.

Page 21 of 74 FirstFirst ... 111920212223314171 ... LastLast