1. #211 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Hello BikerDoc,

Sorry to tell you,

You are wrong on the 94%
    You are wrong on the "several questions must be answered correctly"
    All questions have the same weighting.

You can sit the re-sit exam same morning, or same day, but on Friday, there is no afternoon sitting in Weifang.
    If I had got there for say 10:00am, done one test and failed, then I could have quite easily done the 2nd test within 10 minutes of walking out of the first test.

Gra.
    As I wrote Graham, TIC!

I have to confess having sat my license way back here in PRC, back in the days when foreigners could get a DL using their English name, could read and learn the MCQ's in English or one of about a half dozen other major languages, and the computer tests were generated in the language of choice as listed in the "test book" alas things change. When I did my test the minimum was 94% or better AND several questions had to be answered correctly to pass. Some places would also NOT allow a test taker to resit a failed test the same day as evidenced the day I sat my test. One other foreigner missed out by 1% and even though he wanted to resit the test, he was told no. Instead he was offered the official road code book again to take home to study and come back on another predetermined day for his resit.

Again, I reiterate that what applied/applies in one place in China, may not apply elsewhere, even between cities in the same province. TIC.

2. #212 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    I got my license back in 2010. Since I do not read Chinese and the test is in Chinese, it was suggested by powers that be that I hire a translator. I paid 500RMB for a lovely lady to sit next to me and "translate" for me. We only missed one question. Best money I have ever spent in China. My license has my Chinese name and is completely legit. I really would suggest looking to see if this process is available for you. Just sayin.....
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

3. #213 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    I got my license back in 2010. Since I do not read Chinese and the test is in Chinese, it was suggested by powers that be that I hire a translator. I paid 500RMB for a lovely lady to sit next to me and "translate" for me. We only missed one question. Best money I have ever spent in China. My license has my Chinese name and is completely legit. I really would suggest looking to see if this process is available for you. Just sayin.....
    Aaaahhhhh,

Doesn't happen now.

We asked.

If your tongue is English, they set you the English test.
    If your tounge is German, they set you the German test

They have many languages to pick from.

No translators allowed any more I am afraid.

~~~~~~~~~~

So actually you didn't do the theory test, in your own right?
    Some one did it for you?

Gra.

4. #214 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Again, I reiterate that what applied/applies in one place in China, may not apply elsewhere, even between cities in the same province.
    Same as back home. DLs are largely a local responsibility, and each province/state has different rules. Used to be that in Alberta, Canada, one could get a MC license at age 14. Probably changed now.

It is relatively easy in Beijing if you meet the criteria re visa, etc. The tough part is the exam - I keep telling people they absolutely, positively MUST study! Typical "biker" scoffs with a "I've been riding for 200 years - I don't need no damn help" ... then they fail.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    I paid 500RMB for a lovely lady ... Best money I have ever spent in China.
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

5. #215 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Banned
    check this website: http://www.chinese-driving-test.com
    not sure how up to date the info and questions really are, has been a long time since I exchanged one of my overseas license for a Chinese one during the good old easy days in this lovely country......

6. #216 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Hi, can someone confirm this is the right one to learn from http://www.chinese-driving-test.com ?

As the one I was shown in the DL office is a bunch of word files and their website is broken.

Thanks!
    Previous bikes:
    Jawa 350 1971; Triumph Tiger 900 1999; Yamaha XT600 1995; Honda CX450 1983; Suzuki DRZ-E 400 1998; Sanlg 125cc 2007.

Forever bicycle now.

7. #217 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    This is a very cool website and the questions in English are genuine. My question would be whether it includes all 1300+ questions in the national question bank, and particularly whether it includes the full range of motorcycle-related questions that are more likely to appear on the motorcycle exams.

Alas, there's no information about who is running this site. If you do a "whois" trace on the website, you can see only that it's registered through Tucows/Hover of Canada, and nothing more. The site has a hidden "about" page that lists the following information:

The chinese-driving-test.com web app is a free study aid designed to make it as easy as possible to pass the English language version of the driving test in China.

Quiz
    Quiz mode generates a series of questions selected randomly from the official pool of over 1,300.

Study
    Study mode enables the user to revise specific subjects and topics from the question bank and uses a learning programme to guide each individual to the specific questions that they most need to review.

Test
    Test mode gives you a practice test of 100 questions selected and grouped in accordance with the ratios specified in the Regulations on Motorized Vehicle Driving Licenses as follows.

Laws, rules and regulations on road traffic safety [25 questions]

Regional regulations [5 questions]

Traffic signals [20 questions]

Knowledge on safe and courteous driving [20 questions]

Knowledge about safe driving on expressways and mountain roads, through bridges and tunnels, at night, in bad weather and complex road conditions [10 questions]

Knowledge dealing with emergency such as tire blowout, steering out of control and braking failure etc [10 questions]

Common knowledge on overall structures of motor vehicles, decision of common troubles, and routine inspection and maintenance of vehicles [5 questions]

Knowledge about self-rescue and first-aid after traffic accidents, and dangerous articles [5 questions]

Note: In the provinces (regions) and municipalities where no regional regulations on traffic safety control have been promulgated, the ratio of the questions on the regional regulations should be included in the ratio of the questions on the national law and regulations on traffic safety.

I'll ask them who they are and why they've done this.

And I'm still happy to email the 2.6mb PDF of the complete motorcycle-inclusive data bank with every question in Chinese and English to anyone who requests it by PM.

Cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #218 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Senior
    I have the interactive excel 1318 car question bank.

I have modified it a bit, to make it more friendly.

1318 questions broken into groups of 100, with a % correct at the end of each group.

Then eventually, when you get to question 1318, it gives your overall % correct score.

It is 21Mb.
    Also the 800 motorbike Questions in word format.
    It is 4,4Mb.

I think hotmail can do it, and I will give my QQ if any one also wants to have a go at learning them

Gra.

9. #219 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    OK, folks, this is interesting. As promised, I contacted the author of Chinese-driving-test.com, a very clever guy called Nick, and learned that he sourced the English-language questions in his online test simulator to a public security website in Guangdong that has full downloadable question banks for both car and motorcycle exams in both English and Chinese but also French, Japanese, Russian and Spanish! The files appear to date from 2007, so they may not be 100% current. Edit: Please note that Nick's website is based on the car-related question bank not the motorcycle question bank, so it will come up short on motorcycle questions. Here are the links for motorcycles in five languages:

Motorcycle question bank in English
    Motorcycle question bank in Russian
    Motorcycle question bank in Spanish
    Motorcycle question bank in Japanese
    Motorcycle question bank in French

All links can be found here.

Finally, Nick pointed to a couple of other fun sites where you can take a simulated licensing test in English for pretty much any vehicle category, including a city bus or a tram!

Here's the simulated test site in Chengdu.

Here's the simulated test site in Jiangxi. The Jiangxi site has a cute name in Chinese, which is reflected in its URL: 江西红绿灯网 (Jiangxi honglvdeng wang or "Jiangxi red-green light network").

As I've said many times before, I still have something that is very useful for the bilingual among us: the national motorcycle examination test bank in both English and Chinese, in PDF, easily emailable at about 2.6meg. PM me if you'd like it.

cheers!
    Last edited by euphonius; 12-04-2012 at 05:46 AM. Reason: noting that Nick's simulator is NOT based on motorcycle question bank
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #220 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Went to the Traffic Police department in Shanghai, Hongqiao area to apply for a Chinese car and motorcycle driving license today (C1D). Don't know if an updated process information has been posted before but nevertheless, more usefull information is better than less so here goes.

If you hold a DL from another country, you must first and can only translate it at either one of these places in Shanghai:
    上海外国语大学翻译总公司 Shanghai International Study University translation department
    虹口区赤峰路573号
    021-65362032

上海市外事翻译工作者协会 Foreign Business Translation Service
    黄浦区北京西路1277号1607室
    021-63218586, 021-63239910

Cost: around 100 RMB (SISU as reference)

DO NOT open the envelop with the translated document or else it will become invalid.

Bring your passport+copy, resident permit+copy, registration form of temporary residence+copy, your non-Chinese driving license+copy of front and back, and the translated one in the sealed envelop to:
    车辆管理所一分所 Traffic Police Department
    长宁区哈密路1330号
    021-62690606

As soon as you arrive, you will see a lot of people running around and the building to the right (with even more people in it) is the main building. Skip this for the moment and go to building number 10 to take pictures (cost 25 RMB). After the picture taking, go to building number 9 to get your photos and a printed application. Give your photos to the lady in the counter behind you and apply (new application form) for the medical exam. Application is in Chinese (didn't bother to ask for an English one) and then walk to the glass counter and pay 60 RMB. Walk outside the door and turn left in to a small ally. There is actually a sign on the ground where it says "Medical Exam, Welcome", it's right between the women and men's toilet. Walk up to the second floor and turn right to room 201 where the medical exam starts. 201 is the hearing exam, only a sign on the wall in Chinese where it says, I think, "Go in, close the door. Put on the headphones and show with the correct hand in which side the sound is coming from". You will only get one signal from each side and then you pass. Work your way down to the glass counter with exams that include, blood preassure, height and weight control, grip control(?), eye test, colour test and a test where they attach a wire to your right ankle and right wrist.

When this is done, and you got all the papers (total 3, one medical check, one copy of the medical check, and the application form you recieved when you got your photos), head for the main building. Once inside, on your left, there will be a small counter where someone is responsible to give you a queue number for correct case. You need to tell them that you want to switch to a Chinese driving license and they will give you a queue number. Walk inside and turn left, there will be stairs, take it to the second floor and walk all the way down and take the left door, sit tight and wait for your turn.

When it's your turn, walk to the counter and give her all your documents. Make sure to tell her what vehicles you want to apply for, or else they will only assume you want to apply for a driving license for car. She will ask you to check a piece of paper and decide when you want to do the test. She will then hand the papers over to her colleague next to her and you will have to go back to the waiting seats and sit put. When she calls you, you will recieve a confirmation of the application, time and information of the test, and you will get all your documents back. You will have to bring these back again, on the exam day.

For those who are a Hong Kong permanent resident and holds a Hong Kong DL, the procedures are exactly the same but the documents you need to provide are different. You will need (plus copy of all this):
    HK ID Card (front and back)
    HK - Mainland Entry pass (front and back)
    HK Passport
    HK Driving license (front and back)
    Temporary resident permit (暂住证, it's a green coloured small "book", copy of main page and the page with the official stamp)

I still haven't taken the test yet, booked exam date 8th of January, 2013. Will study hard with help from Euphonius' bilingual PDF motorcycle exam.

Hope this helps and ride safe and legal.