Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 26 of 74 FirstFirst ... 61624252627283646 ... LastLast
  1. #251 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Ask your girlfriend to have a look at this taobao link, which I think is the one referenced in the newspaper story TB-Racing posted.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #252 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Thanks a lot for that! Once I have it Ill mail it to you.

3. #253 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    mate has to do a new full test (theory & questions only for car) and a full medical check up as he is a few years over 60 and was never asked to do the medical during the last few years.
    Just talked to our biker buddy in Shanghai and he went for the test on 10th.January 2013, failed due to new questions (of course he studied all the 2012 questions).
    He was informed to get ready for another test in 70-90 days as English test are not available right now and the Shanghai Traffic Management Bureau will contact him once the new English tests are ready..... time to move on to greener pastures I reckon...

4. #254 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi fellows,

I would like to share some (not so now) fresh information about the driving license in shanghai.
    Big surprise today when the driving license officer told me that i couldn't take the test as English or other languages weren't available. no more foreign language test until further notice (i guess when they don't know that is the common answer) .

I feel so bad coz I was already so happy to take the test today as I fail the last time (too early in the morning :-) Didn't get the chance to even try.

So after talking with the lady for ages, its seems that I don't have much options.
    A translator? they do not allow translators anymore in shanghai sure thing.
    other places ? I need to double check.

My coworker told me the traffic rules have been updated.
    So I guess that might be the reason. Update the English will take time.
    I wonder if I could pass it somewhere else with a translator.
    The license should be valid everywhere.

Anyway, I can't even be pissed at the them coz I'm the one that can't read Chinese.
    And to top of that not so many countries have the multi-language option.

I was thinking maybe I should buy my bike now with the C plate so its already there and I can save on the continuous
    growing plate price.

Solution anyone?

cheers,
    -o_x-oner

5. #255 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Quote Originally Posted by oxoner View Post
    Anyway, I can't even be pissed at the them coz I'm the one that can't read Chinese.
    And to top of that not so many countries have the multi-language option.
    Actually, you can be pissed because real countries honour international driving licenses. Other countries don't discriminate against the Chinese, it's only the Chinese that unfairly have a double standard for operating a vehicle in their country.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

6. #256 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by oxoner View Post

I was thinking maybe I should buy my bike now with the C plate so its already there and I can save on the continuous
    growing plate price.
    Pretty sure you cannot get a plate without a license. Hoping some others will chime in on this as it seems pretty effed up. Is there an effort now to prevent foreigners from getting legal licenses?

7. #257 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    So i just came back from police station. They told me that i cant have the exam cos they dont have the English version. They told me to come back next week when the supervisor comes back from her holiday cos only she knows what to do with me. Turns out that supervisor is the same lady who examined my riding and told me to come back next day for second writing exam..... i really hope that she knows a way to make me get that license soon...........but my gut tells me that she simply didnt know before that they dont have the English so she told me to come have the exam next day

all in all its pretty f%&*ing ridiculous cos i wanted to get a license, buy a bike, run it in and ride it around China and Mongolia in May-June (already have 2 months off work) and now i cant :(

8. #258 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    So i just came back from police station. They told me that i cant have the exam cos they dont have the English version. They told me to come back next week when the supervisor comes back from her holiday cos only she knows what to do with me. Turns out that supervisor is the same lady who examined my riding and told me to come back next day for second writing exam..... i really hope that she knows a way to make me get that license soon...........but my gut tells me that she simply didnt know before that they dont have the English so she told me to come have the exam next day

all in all its pretty f%&*ing ridiculous cos i wanted to get a license, buy a bike, run it in and ride it around China and Mongolia in May-June (already have 2 months off work) and now i cant :(
    Keep your cool, modron. Miracles do happen. And I think if you are really calm, friendly and complimentary toward the improvements in the system, and explain how it's not particularly fair to make someone take two exams, you might persuade them to issue your license on the basis of your earlier exam.

Good luck!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #259 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi all,

Some may remember that I recently took my Chinese driving test.
    However it was just a C1 license, and not the C1D that I wanted.

The official translator service made a translation error, and only translated my car license details, ignoring, or forgetting my other categories.
    By that I mean, the translator only put down the car eligibility, and forgot, or didn't bother about the other 10 or so driving eligibility.

Cut a long story short, On or about 04 December 2012.
    we got the corrected translation, at no extra cost.
    We took the new translated documents to the traffic, and they said, wait 3 months, as it needs to go to "head traffic dept, in Jinan" and it will be looked at.
    I was wanting them to add on the "D" entitlement to my already "C1" entitlement.

This morning 22 January, 2013, we get a phone call from traffic department, to come and collect my new license.

So now I have the all important C1+D

This has now vastly restored my faith in the system.

We just went there once to traffic to ask if there was any progress, this was about 1st or second week in January.

Gra.

10. #260 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Graham - congratulations on your success! Time to hit the road, weather permitting. Fantastic riding in China, outside the cities.

Page 26 of 74 FirstFirst ... 61624252627283646 ... LastLast