Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 44 of 74 FirstFirst ... 243442434445465464 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Having been licensed through the normal legal channels in both Beijing and Shanghai, I have a hard time understanding why anyone would think it necessary to sneak down to Haikou and pay an agent 8800 RMB. While this might be quasi legal, that probably means it's also quasi illegal. What's more, that price of 8800 sure looks like a "dupe the gullible foreigner" price.

A big part of the price of living in China -- and the inherent satisfaction -- is learning how to get things done. Paying bribes to open back channels does not count. As Lao Jia Huo has said, read through this thread and figure it out. Everyone's experience will differ, as the system is not highly standardized across China, and is being implemented by low-rung bureaucrat saps who have little incentive to see you through to success. But, with persistence and bit of good humor and ingenuity, it can be done.

euphonius
    This info was given to me by a tour guide company
    I'm sharing what I know etc
    All comments welcome of course

2. #432 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Kunming, When Not Drifting- Originally from DownUnder
    And just when I thought everything was running like clockwork..

Went down to the Kunming Vehicle Administration Office yesterday to see about getting my motorbike licence. It's the only place in Kunming where you can do this, as a foreigner, and is located at 昆明市经济开发区经开路12号. It's a fair way out of town but didn't take too long on the ebike. Anyway spoke to the lady behind the desk in the main building, and turned out I was only short a couple of documents, which if I had I could immediately sit the test, and if passed would be given a C1E.

All up, I needed:
    1) Copy of Passport
    2)Copy of Current Visa
    3)Copy of Residence Registration Permit
    4)Copy of Australian Driving Licence
    5)Translation of Australian Driving Licence
    6)3 passport photos, on a white background
    7)Medical Examination Certificate

I was short the translation and the residence permit, and hadn't done the med exam but that's done in an adjacent building to the office for 12 yuan, takes about 5 minutes and consists of filling out a form, reading a couple of letters off a distance chart, giving your height and ensuring you're not colourblind . The lady then gave me the address for the official translator who must be used (which I have tucked away if anyone needs), and I went straight there and got the translation done on the spot, took 10 minutes and cost 30yuan.

Went back today in the hopes of sitting the exam as was promised yesterday, with all the correct paperwork and having spent a few hours studying the 'Driving in China' app. Ducked out to do the medical, came back and shit started to hit the fan. The lady (who despite my attempts to be pleasant turned out to be a bit of a dragon) started questioning whether I was able to drive a motorbike on my Aus licence, as it was not explicitly stated. It took a hell of a long time, prolonged consultation with other members of the establishment, calls to the translation office, and my showing them random photos of my 'bike back home' along with my anecdotal evidence, to finally convince them that motorbikes are included under my licence category. They had me write this down on the official translation in pen and sign it. (As a matter of fact, motorbikes aren't included under my licence, but hey.)

Anyway I think this might have cheesed old dragon off mightily, and after she'd filled out my info on the computer she started nit-picking through all the different categories of Australian licence stored on their database. You wouldn't believe it, they have details and images of every kind of licence from every state. I saw where this was going as my licence is actually a provisional one, not a full, but back home that means you can drive alone, with a few restrictions on speed limits and other minor points-however apparently, according to them, provisional licences can't be changed over for a Chinese licence. So the rigmarole started again, the phone calls, the group therapy sessions, and on and on. I stuck my ground, told them their database was out of date, that they'd incorrectly translated 'provisional', that they had the wrong photos, that their was no difference between my licence and any other in Aus, that back home we all have 'provisional' licence. After kicking up enough stink, they finally took down my number, said they'll speak to their 'leader' and call me tomorrow or day after. The other option one guy suggested was that I just go for the Chinese motorbike licence from scratch. He said it costs 800-1,000, which compared with the 60kuai for directly changing my current licence is a bit of a bill to foot.

I was pissed by this stage but went off and checked at the separate counter that deals with this, and was helped out by a wonderful lady who said I was good to go, could sit tomorrow if desired as they have the test every Wednesday, and that it should only cost 400-500. I'm waiting on that phone call so told her I'd wait til next Weds- if I've been rejected by then, as is probably going to happen, I'll go for the test then.

So a couple of questions, does anyone know what the situ is re. changing a Provisional licence from your own country for a Chinese one? Also, is the theory test for motorbikes the same material as contained in the 'Driving in China' app? Any other info I should know?

From my experience, it seems like a cakewalk to get your C1E here in Kunming IF you already have a full, motorbike licence from your home country. That's the burning IF though..
    Last edited by foxy88; 05-13-2014 at 06:06 PM.

3. #433 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    What kind of bike you getting ?

4. #434 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Not sure yet Zhu, really need to sit down and do some thorough research, as well as visit the dealers, before I decide on that one. The YBR125G sounds like a steal for the quality it provides, and I've been a little inspired by tokyokid's story of crossing to Europe on it two-up, but it might be a bit small for the purposes.. the YBR250 is another option I'm mulling over.

To be honest I'd rather go for a new, Japanese bike made-in-China, but again, need to do some research. Any hot tips? An please don't suggest this again: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=1...1.17.12.oJal2X

5. #435 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Your home license is in fact an Australian provisional? That means you are restricted under the LAMS scheme? In my view an Australian car license and provisional motorcycle license have given you far more training than any Chinese motorcycle license ever could.

I still find it remarkable the level of importance that the Chinese govt put on their driving license's worthiness. It's so corrupt that you can buy one for a few thousand and pass any portion for a few hundred. In fact if I was in the government of another country I'd make Indians, Chinese and people from a few other countries that have corrupt license systems and poor standards do a 'certificate of competence test' before they are even allowed to drive on the road at all.
    .......consists of filling out a form, reading a couple of letters off a distance chart, giving your height and ensuring you're not colourblind .
    Colorblind? I never understood this....if it is OK to drive in Europe with colorblindness why is it suddenly not OK in China? What does China know from its 'indcredibly high standards' [sarc] of driving that the rest of the world hasn't figured out? Not that anyone colorblind would ever be prevented from getting a license as I'm sure it's a 10-100 RMB 'look the other way' payment. It just undermines the importance of having good distance vision.

6. #436 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Your home license is in fact an Australian provisional? That means you are restricted under the LAMS scheme? In my view an Australian car license and provisional motorcycle license have given you far more training than any Chinese motorcycle license ever could.

I still find it remarkable the level of importance that the Chinese govt put on their driving license's worthiness. It's so corrupt that you can buy one for a few thousand and pass any portion for a few hundred. In fact if I was in the government of another country I'd make Indians, Chinese and people from a few other countries that have corrupt license systems and poor standards do a 'certificate of competence test' before they are even allowed to drive on the road at all.

Colorblind? I never understood this....if it is OK to drive in Europe with colorblindness why is it suddenly not OK in China? What does China know from its 'indcredibly high standards' [sarc] of driving that the rest of the world hasn't figured out? Not that anyone colorblind would ever be prevented from getting a license as I'm sure it's a 10-100 RMB 'look the other way' payment. It just undermines the importance of having good distance vision.
    This is China
    Last edited by bigdamo; 05-14-2014 at 02:05 AM.

7. #437 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    [...] In fact if I was in the government of another country I'd make Indians, Chinese and people from a few other countries that have corrupt license systems and poor standards do a 'certificate of competence test' before they are even allowed to drive on the road at all. [...]
    Good idea but that'd be useless cause the worse among them still drive big ass SUVs in our countries without any kind of license, lol.

No, the solution is to line them up in a stadium and send a monster truck full speed against them to demonstrate how true is their belief about how the biggest car wins regardless of what, and how much it sucks when u're caught out of ur ford F-150.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

8. #438 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Oh come on it has 4 speeds and "abs" with passenger footboards and gear position light!

9. #439 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    I just spent two weeks in Kunming with a gas scooter, which i left there as I will return there in a few weeks.... Inside the first ring they dont like motos..but no one stopped me and all is cool...but the city has a sit load of cameras...but the friends i made there who race around on Kymco scooter..with license plates... say that the cameras technology doesnt pick up motocycle plates..whatever that means...if they can im going to have a pile of tickets under my plate from another county...

so i plan to move to Kunming and find the city new and organized with beautiful scenery and climate and the people in cars follow the rules....

but about you taking the test...don't under estimate the exam as it is poorly translated, for instance 'passing' is driving down the road...not overtaking another car as it would be in the USA. also you are only allowed 10 wrong answers...and can be asked a series of 'medical' questions with regard to fixing broken bones....

I had mine translated..usa license...and the translator is paid to do that exactly as it is stated on your lic..from your country..so good luck with the 'provisional' designation...
    the problem i had..is in the usa the driver lic. with regard to cars in based on the weight of the vehicle..in China its the number of occupants in the car.... whereas, i have both moto and car here in china...

when i went through the process for my moto they wouldnt give me a lic until i bought a motorcycle..but the motorcyle dealers wouldnt sell me a motorcycle without a lic....for the purpose of your question...i talked to many traffic police until one would allow me to take the test without buying one..go figure!

then when i bought one with a chinese lic...i couldnt register it in my name because im a foreigner...a car yes..moto no! again go figure!

so check with where you live in kunming if you can register with your address or if you have to live a part of the city that will allow registering... i visited a traffic police in kumning about that and there answer made me feel i needed to sneak away with my moto before they saw it!

im new to Kunming so if you have any input ...thanks......take many practice tests before you sit for the computer exam...good luck

10. #440 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    This is China
    Very true damo, and the unfortunate follow-on is that the powers that be can do what they want in regards to issuing foreigners with licences, regardless of whether sensible or just.

ZMC888 is on the money, as an Australian you'd probably also know that they don't hand out Provisional licences like candy anymore- you're required to do 120 hrs over a period of around 2 years with a fully licensed driver next to you the whole time before you can even sit for the various tests required for a P-plate.

On the flip side, while it changes from state to state, according to australia.gov.au as a general rule foreigners can immediately begin driving in Australia as long as they have either an English translation or IDL as well as their country's licence. I'd agree that a tightening of the regulations might be in order..

when i went through the process for my moto they wouldnt give me a lic until i bought a motorcycle..but the motorcyle dealers wouldnt sell me a motorcycle without a lic....for the purpose of your question...i talked to many traffic police until one would allow me to take the test without buying one..go figure!

then when i bought one with a chinese lic...i couldnt register it in my name because im a foreigner...a car yes..moto no! again go figure!

so check with where you live in kunming if you can register with your address or if you have to live a part of the city that will allow registering... i visited a traffic police in kumning about that and there answer made me feel i needed to sneak away with my moto before they saw it!

im new to Kunming so if you have any input ...thanks......take many practice tests before you sit for the computer exam...good luck
    Sounds odd killerkat, so in the end you didn't manage to get your scooter registered? I'm aware of the fact that you're required to register at an address outside the 2nd ring road, which I'll have to sort out when the time comes, but the fact that you're a foreigner really shouldn't have anything to do with being able to register or not? Btw if you have any questions on any aspect of KMG drop me a PM and I'll tell you what I know..

So I got a call back from the Vehicle Management Office yesterday, they seem to have dropped the whole issue they had with my licence being 'provisional', but now we're back to the initial issue of the licence not explicitly stating that it is valid for motorcycle use.. So I've been offered the option of getting a cage licence, going through with the full Chinese motorbike test, or trying to have the C1E licence issued elsewhere. As I see it it's a slight improvement on the previous situ, but I couldn't take the call for too long so promised to call back, and of course the office is unreachable on any of their various numbers. Going to bite the bullet and make the trek back out there now, I think there's a chance I may be able to argue my way through, possibly by greasing a palm along the way, will report back after the incident.

Page 44 of 74 FirstFirst ... 243442434445465464 ... LastLast