Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 50 of 74 FirstFirst ... 304048495051526070 ... LastLast
  1. #491 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Well since I have been waiting nearly a couple years to go through the full process of getting my motorcycle license (not available in English in my city that I know of yet), I decided to get my drivers license instead (also needed to do the full process). This was complicated during the second and fourth testing phases do to the fact my Chinese is not tuned to rules and regulations of driving. The second phase was taken on a massive driving course monitored by lasers and cameras and I was only given one chance to correct one mistake OR I would have to wait a month and take the same test again. I passed after the third time and thankfully so because I was only given 5 times to take this test or I would have to do everything all over again (was not told this when I started). The fourth and final test phase was another computer test which my driving school failed to inform me that it was completely different from the first test (first test has 100 single answer questions, final test has 50 sometimes multiple answer questions). Of course my school didn't have any books in English and I had to get my wife to find them on baidu, DL and then painfully translate all the questions. Now that I can legally drive my car in China I was informed that I have to wait another year before I can even think about going to get my motorcycle license...that's IF it will be translated in English by then (not holding my breathe).

2. #492 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by FarTravel View Post
    My Chinese friend suggested I change my car driving license to the chinese driving license and that way avoid doing the first test (which they still claim to not have in English). Has anyone tried this route?

If the first computer test is indeed the same for motorcycles and cars this might make sense, and then I could forgo doing the computer test and go straight to the driving moto tests. Anyone try this?
    Hi, what was the most recent update on doing the change over for the car license first?
    It seems that many people have said that it is indeed the same test, (computer test) and the fact that they don't have an english language computer test for the motorbike, is just ridiculous.
    Any updates though?

3. #493 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    I will only say this once so people don't ask again
    The Car/Bike Computer test is the same ! No special
    test for Bikes!!! that is not to say "Maybe" the odd bike
    question "COULD" come up .
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #494 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Quote Originally Posted by 1288711 View Post
    Hi, what was the most recent update on doing the change over for the car license first?
    It seems that many people have said that it is indeed the same test, (computer test) and the fact that they don't have an english language computer test for the motorbike, is just ridiculous.
    Any updates though?
    I just did the whole process of obtaining a Chinese driver's license with motorcycle endorsement (C1E) a couple of weeks ago in Beijing. I already have a Washington State driver's license with motorcycle endorsement, so your situation might be different. But, when I took the written test, I didn't encounter a single motorcycle-related question. Nor does the study book have any information on motorcycles.

Anyway, details of that process are in my newbie thread here: http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...member-Beijing!

5. #495 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Ahh, just realized that I've been talking to you in my thread, and on text message... lol. Anyway, may as well post here in the "getting a license" section so that it might help others that read this thread.

6. #496 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Galenernest, was this written test in English? I realize the transferal of an existing foeign licence is a much easier process, but if the tests really are the same for car and moto WTF?

As for an update on mine... the get a car licence first then transfer it over seems just as complicated, and as people have said even once done you have to wait a whole year to switch it to a moto one. So I've decided to wait until Spring 2015 since its too cold now anyway and hope they come out with an English test by then.

Also an interesting FYI, a Chinese friend of mine spoke to someone at the police station recently and was told foreigners that cant speak Chinese can actually apply (apparently theres a form) to have a translator permitted for the test, BUT because its a complicated process for them they usually just say this isnt allowed to avoid trouble. So I was advised to either try this route which may not work and will be a headache or get an out of town licence.

7. #497 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Quote Originally Posted by FarTravel View Post
    Galenernest, was this written test in English? I realize the transferal of an existing foeign licence is a much easier process, but if the tests really are the same for car and moto WTF?

As for an update on mine... the get a car licence first then transfer it over seems just as complicated, and as people have said even once done you have to wait a whole year to switch it to a moto one. So I've decided to wait until Spring 2015 since its too cold now anyway and hope they come out with an English test by then.

Also an interesting FYI, a Chinese friend of mine spoke to someone at the police station recently and was told foreigners that cant speak Chinese can actually apply (apparently theres a form) to have a translator permitted for the test, BUT because its a complicated process for them they usually just say this isnt allowed to avoid trouble. So I was advised to either try this route which may not work and will be a headache or get an out of town licence.
    As far as I'm aware if you transfer your car and motorcycle license you'll only have to do the car multi-choice questions, or that's how it was when I did mine. In Chinese mentality a car is like an upgrade from a motorcycle, despite how much better a good motorcycle is than a rubbish car.

8. #498 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    I took a 100 question written test offered in many languages, including English. There wasn't a single motorcycle-related question on the exam. Three days after passing the test, I picked up my C1E license.

9. #499 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hey guys, just a quick update on mine.
    I spent the afternoon today running about trying to figure out the process, and perhaps register for the full motorbike license. ( i was also keen to ask if i could just do the car computer test in English and then transfer it across for the motorbike)
    Well i got my answers.
    What bikerdoc said before in a previous forum, is indeed correct. If you switch over your car license for a chinese one. (and you don't have your bike license back home) you have to wait a full year before you can register at laoshan to do the motorbike lessons and test.
    when i asked the dude why? he just shrugged and said... 'unfortunately that's the rules.'
    Also went to the address that is on the laoshan website, where they tell you to go to register if you are a foreigner. (石景山区,万达广场F座25层2508)This is bullshit. When i came in they said 'oh... ok let's see your chinese i.d. card.' ... but i'm clearly a foreigner.
    So finally got pointed in the right direction (to the real laoshan driving school & registration office) and arrived there just as it was closing.
    But after all of this bureaucratic shit, i at least got the forms to fill in and the process.
    I will take a scan when i'm at work on monday and upload it, (because i don't want to just take a camera phone pic~ not very useable for the rest of you)
    The deal with the computer test- It is all in Chinese, there's no getting around this. But, it's the same test as the english one- why they can't just transfer it across i have absolutely no idea.
    But i think they also stress this point so as to put off foreigners from taking the test.

I think the way i'm going to do it, is practice for the english test, understand the 'logic' behind the answers. [oh yes the post 2013 test has logic in it... the one before that... was just about memorizing]
    and then buy the book in chinese to get a feel for how they ask the questions in chinese.

I will post up the forms with the translations as best as i can on monday, and instructions on how to buy the book. But for now i'm exhausted

@Far travel, i intend to go through this whole process so if you want to try it with me, you're more than welcome

10. #500 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    As far as I'm aware if you transfer your car and motorcycle license you'll only have to do the car multi-choice questions, or that's how it was when I did mine. In Chinese mentality a car is like an upgrade from a motorcycle, despite how much better a good motorcycle is than a rubbish car.
    Actually, that makes a lot of sense. That would explain whey galenernest said that no motorbike questions came up.

Page 50 of 74 FirstFirst ... 304048495051526070 ... LastLast