Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 51 of 74 FirstFirst ... 314149505152536171 ... LastLast
  1. #501 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Damn, David... that's a lot of bullshit, no doubt.

I can read over 1000 Chinese characters, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to take a theory exam in Chinese.

To be honest, if I were faced with your predicament, I would probably just go home and get my motorcycle endorsement, then return to China with that and get my license that way... (of course, I'm always looking for some excuse to go home for a few weeks, haha!)

I'm sure others will appreciate the legwork you're putting into this endeavor!

2. #502 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Regular
    Right,
    Here is the chinese full processlaoshan moto license process.jpg
    Here is my own translation, for you to have an idea:
    Lao shan Motorbike license process {loosely translated}
    1.) Give in all forms and required documents with their originals.
    The documents will be checked and your originals will be handed back to you after your registration.
    Pay your registration fee and you will be given another document showing that you have officially registered and paid.
    2.) Take your originals again, settle your computer test time. [cannot organise for the same day, as your registration date]
    3.) Go take part in the computer test at your specified appointment time.
    Make sure you bring your I.D and your form showing that you’ve paid and that says you are supposed to be there at that appointment time.
    Note- you have to turn up otherwise your score is 0. Your fine will be 50 元
    If you don’t pass you also have to pay 50 元 to take the test again
    (there is no information about how many times you can take the test, just that you have to organise in advance and cannot do it on the same day)
    4.) After you pass the 1st course (the computer test) and get your ‘certification of pass’, take this back to the registration office. (where you initially registered for the whole process)
    Note-You have to take this ‘certification of pass’ to the registration office within a certain amount of time otherwise they cannot arrange the training – does not explain how much time you’ve got.
    5.) Come to the test for training.
    If you do not attend every lesson of the practical training you cannot take the practical test.
    [also doesn’t say how many days of practical training there is, but from other sites it seems to be 1 week Monday-Friday in the mornings]
    6.) Do exam of 2nd & 3rd course [Note- there’s no reference to a 3rd course, but just assume it’s the practical training exam split into 2 sections]
    If you pass this they will give you a new ‘certification of pass’ , but this time is will have a time stamped on the paper. (specific time needed for you to register for next course)
    Take this ‘certification of pass’ to the initial registration office once again to make your appointment for the 4th course.
    Note- if you do not pass, you must pay 40 元 for re-testing and have to wait 10 days to the next exam session.
    7.) Go to the office at appointment time specified to do 4th course
    Take your I.D and your ‘certification of pass’
    If for some reason you can’t do the exam without a good reason you get 0.
    (don’t know what a good reason is)
    If you didn’t attend, or you didn’t pass you have to pay a 60 元 re-registration fee.

If you do pass they will tell you a time you can pick up your license.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by 1288711; 12-16-2014 at 09:17 AM. Reason: wrong picture

3. #503 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Regular
    Here is the medical check form as well, which is needed for both the Car license (including transferring over your foreign car license) & your Motorbike license
    car motorbike health check form.jpg

If someone knows a list of approved hospitals, especially that does it on the cheap and is not in the middle of nowhere, like the one for the visa check, it would be greatly appreciated

4. #504 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    When I did the test the 'medical' test was just an office 'round the back of the cop shop. The medical technically consisted of a raft of exhaustive tests, to make sure that you were 'good enough' to join the hapless sea of imbeciles which is China traffic.

In reality it was two doctors testing eyesight and colorblindness with chart praying that you'd fail so they could extort a few yuan to say you'd actually passed. Why the F**k colorblindness when you can fly a 747 and be colorblind, I'll never quite understand.....

5. #505 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    bjhospital10001.jpgbjhospital20006.jpg

Here's a scan of the brochure listing the approved hospitals for the check. (the font is small, so if you click on the pictures they should open into bigger versions). I went to one near my house that's underlined and marked with a star on the list. "Běijīng shě shčhuě fúlě yīyuŕn" It cost me 10 kuai and about 40 minutes of my time (5 spent figuring out where to gua hao, 15 waiting for the doctor, 10 waiting for a red stamp, and 10 in the actual examination) . The doctors checked my vision, saw that my arms were more or less attached, that on each of my hands I sufficiently had at least three fingers still remaining, that I could stand of my own free will, and sit upright, and apparently didn't suffer from any mental disease. Something like that, anyway.

6. #506 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    As ZMC888 noted, often there is a clinical provider service attached to the PSB Traffic Management Bureau office/building handling MV licensing. In Shanghai and Ningbo as well as Beilun district this had been the case. In all these locations where I've been required to undertake such exams, the clinical providers have been located on-site, and are often from one of the local hospitals. No need to go off-site to some other designated clinical provider/hospital. Whenever a basic medical exam was required one would be referred to the building where the provider was on-site. Hearing, vision, BP and other simple assessments would be undertaken usually a 5-10 minute process, the majority being the paper shuffle/waiting. Paperwork stamped accordingly and one sent on their way to continue the process.

As always TIC (LFZ) what works in one jurisdiction may not in another.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

7. #507 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Regular
    Thanks guys for the information,
    I will be checking out one of the hospitals this weekend then, and will also help a friend convert his car license.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    The medical technically consisted of a raft of exhaustive tests, to make sure that you were 'good enough' to join the hapless sea of imbeciles which is China traffic.
    Hahahah nice, yes China traffic is mostly populated by imbeciles... yet somehow it all seems to work out

8. #508 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Quote Originally Posted by 1288711 View Post
    Thanks guys for the information,
    I will be checking out one of the hospitals this weekend then, and will also help a friend convert his car license.

Hahahah nice, yes China traffic is mostly populated by imbeciles... yet somehow it all seems to work out
    I've seen plenty of the 'fails', in 12 years. Last classic was one car upside-down on the roof of another. I think both drivers decided to suddenly change lane without looking or signaling.

9. #509 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Regular
    oh dear, it looks like my dreams of conquering the chinese drivers license might be coming to a quick end.

i've just found out that the australian drivers license is considerably more easy than what they list on their website (at least the west australian one) So i'll be going back to do that in chinese new year. (i do have other reasons for going back, but drivers license is a bonus)
    I'm still determined to have a go at the chinese one, as i see it as a challenge... a challenge to beat china at its own demented game.
    But there is so much study to do... so many terms to learn, even if you can already read chinese...

10. #510 Re: Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    ^ good call. Gaining the MC DL in WA will serve you better in many ways - it will pay dividends far beyond the bit of plastic itself. Once you have it, then your on the fast track to be able to gain a PRC MC DL too. Just keep in mind that any conditions (e.g. LAMS restrictions etc) on the WA MC DL may hinder your ability to gain a full PRC MC DL though.
    Once you are able to 'tick the boxes' needed to get the PRC DL personally I wouldn't bother attempting to go through the process attending the PRC MC classes etc, as they will likely add little to no value to the end game - which is getting your much wanted PRC DL.

Best of luck with the WA DL testing etc.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

Page 51 of 74 FirstFirst ... 314149505152536171 ... LastLast