Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 67 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1747576566676869 ... LastLast
  1. #661 Re: How to get a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi NZBrakelathes -
    THERE IS NO motorcycle ENGLISH test - I was smart and asked for something special and luckily was allowed to do it thus far. Trust me this wasn;'t easy it took my wife and I around 50 hours to manage to get 5 places and no guarantee of more etc etc etc
    Cluster Fark of rules and restrictions - if you have never lived here you CAN'T understand how simple things become so FARKING complex.
    Oh yeah - at least I've been here long enough to know a China day when it rears it head - ha ha - So I'm off to Wenzhou on 7th Feb so I'll keep you informed how that goes. Basically I'm just gonna go to the police station there as that is what the driving licence authority said is the first thing I have to do ........ maybe I can book a date for a test (in English .... if it exists !) ..

2. #662 Re: How to get a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hi Richard,
    the reason why you are banging your head is there is mixing up of information. There is an English test for Automobiles only. There is NO English motorcycle test. In Shanghai a few years back IF you had a foreign license that had both Auto and Moto you could just take the Auto English test and they would throw in the moto qualification with the Chinese licence. Now they refuse to do this and you have to take the Auto English test AND the Chinese Moto test to get both. Wenzhou will be a failure unless you have contacts or a 黄牛 with their local licensing authority that can get your Chinese test results "faked". Sure take a try but plan a trip to Chengdu and just get NZ to help you...
    btw I don't know NZ but based on history on this site seems like best way. I used a 黄牛 in and around the same cost.

Banned
    Correct Chengdu for me and many others you do the English car test and they throw on free the bike class based on the foreign license
    No ENGLISH motorcycle test in CHINA now only car test.
    I've managed to help a few thru the CHINESE motorcycle test for zero tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhonghao View Post
    Hi NZBrakelathes -
    Oh yeah - at least I've been here long enough to know a China day when it rears it head - ha ha - So I'm off to Wenzhou on 7th Feb so I'll keep you informed how that goes. Basically I'm just gonna go to the police station there as that is what the driving licence authority said is the first thing I have to do ........ maybe I can book a date for a test (in English .... if it exists !) ..
    Waste of time as you've got no place of residency for living there, also maybe just maybe your visa is Shanghai work and living only counting you out as well.
    Might depend on if you still got a valid tourist visa of 60 days or more of stay?
    If I do a license from nothing in Chengdu you need a visa and police residency form both legit for living working here, if converting I'm not sure if the visa is or isn't an issue but people can register and stay at our home etc as my wife owns the house.

5. #665 Re: How to get a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey - thanks for all the input guys ! It's looking more and more like a trip to Chengdu. My wife is from Wenzhou and she has a brother living there that can help me with a 'temporary residency permit' . However my work permit and current residency permit is all from Shanghai so don't know what this means when my details 'hit the system' ! My wife is the one whom called the driving authorities there but I am now thinking that 1) they misunderstood and the test is for the car or 2) They did understand and the test is still for the car but I can transfer the licence as a full licence with the bike thrown in on top.... 3) Nobody understood anything and I'm just going out of sheer persistence ! ha ha - well find out soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhonghao View Post
    Hey - thanks for all the input guys ! It's looking more and more like a trip to Chengdu. My wife is from Wenzhou and she has a brother living there that can help me with a 'temporary residency permit' . However my work permit and current residency permit is all from Shanghai so don't know what this means when my details 'hit the system' ! My wife is the one whom called the driving authorities there but I am now thinking that 1) they misunderstood and the test is for the car or 2) They did understand and the test is still for the car but I can transfer the licence as a full licence with the bike thrown in on top.... 3) Nobody understood anything and I'm just going out of sheer persistence ! ha ha - well find out soon enough.
    Your work permit or issue place of visa has nothing to do with the DL.
    The temporary residence of the place where you want to get the DL issued is necessary.
    When you have a foreign motorcycle license you do (at least in BJ) the standard car test and get a C1D if you applied for it.
    I have several new riding mates just coning in 2017 who did that.
    Only doing a Chinese motorcycle license seems to be impossible nowadays for laowais.
    But also there is a work around via a Korean international license that can be done in English. ( also proven by a friend in 2017) He just had then to do the standard car test in BJ.

Sent from my GN8003 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

7. #667 Re: How to get a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi ShuBen - That all makes sense - so it seems the most likely story is that I will go to Wenzhou and make sure I apply for a C1D licence so I can get the motorbike simply added to the car licence which should be in English. The difference between Wenzhou and Shanghai hopefully will be that this is taken as a single test in English .... fingers crossed then. Regards - Richard

Banned
    Careful ShuBen
    I'll outline my case
    His visa states he works in Shanghai
    He managed to get police residency for in Chengdu and mentioned he works here (already illegally)
    He applied to do bike only license which is only in Chinese yet I found a solution legally
    He was rejected the application due to visa issue area or work area or what ever being Shanghai
    This case wasn't for license conversion but a from scratch situation
    Both might or might not be different and might depend where or who you ask etc
    All above is stated facts in Chengdu

9. #669 Re: How to get a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello everyone,

First of all, thanks a lot for posting so much useful information here. It's a good starting point for me, and I think, for everyone else looking into this subject a little further.

However, I feel necessary to present my situation, as it's a little different than what I read here: I am a Romanian national, with a Romanian (EU) driver's license. I have both CAR and MOTORCYCLE categories and I've obtained them in 2005 (if that matters in any way). I can add an IDL on top of that, as I somehow feel the translation might be a little of an issue (I wouldn't imagine there are too many Romanian-Chinese authorized translators).

I'm planning to travel to China this autumn or next spring, depending on how I manage to sort out other personal and business issues in the meantime. My target city to start with would be Chengdu, as it's the big city that is closest to the mountains, and also not very far from the desert, both areas which I'd like to visit. I'm hoping to get a motorcycle driver's license, purchase a local motorbike (BTW, any recommendations?) and then ride around for a couple of months. If possible...

And here's the (somewhat elaborate) questions list:
    - is it possible for me to obtain the temporary residence permit required for a driver's license on a tourist visa? or must I get a more 'special' visa?
    - since I have both car and motorcycle on my current DL, do I still need to do any tests 'in Chinese only', or will it be more like a formality?
    - how is it with purchasing a motorbike? possible or not?
    - my passport expires in July 2019. In these conditions, would it be possible to get a 6 Month visa at the beginning of 2019 and then based on this do the aforementioned actions? Or would it be better I get a new passport before attempting anything?

I think that's it for now...

My greatest appreciation for any useful information!

Thank you!

10. #670 Re: How to get a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Start of with getting a new Passport IMO
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Page 67 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1747576566676869 ... LastLast