Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 68 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1848586667686970 ... LastLast
  1. #671 Re: How to get a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Definitely get the new passport first.

1) Short term Lisc - You can't get a local DL based on just a Tourist Visa - has to be some kind of working visa or resident visa to process a local DL. Only short term option would be to get a AAA International Lisc while you are in Europe before you arrive (good for up to 1 yr I think and pretty cheap).

2) Moto Lisc - Even with a full Car and Moto Lisc you will still need to take the test - it will be offered in English if you're in a major city. Standard is for them to offer it as a computer test of 100 Questions from a pool of 1,500 potentials. You can download and study the Questions and answers in advance but there is no actual textbook to study. When I took the test the questions for both the Car and Moto tests were the same - not sure why they bothered making me take the test twice. You have to score a 90% or better out of 100 to pass.

3) Buy a Bike - To buy a bike you will definitely need a 1 yr resident or work visa - basic requirement to officially OWNING property in China.

4) Definitely get a new passport NOW before you do anything with Chinese Visas or attempt to get a DL here. Waste of time an money to add any PRC Visa to a passport with less than 1 yr validity.
    Sam --
    The older I get, the faster I was....
    2006 CJ750 Sidecar / 2012 Ducati MTSPP / 2013 SRX5

2. #672 Re: How to get a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinasam View Post
    Definitely get the new passport first.

1) Short term Lisc - You can't get a local DL based on just a Tourist Visa - has to be some kind of working visa or resident visa to process a local DL. Only short term option would be to get a AAA International Lisc while you are in Europe before you arrive (good for up to 1 yr I think and pretty cheap).

2) Moto Lisc - Even with a full Car and Moto Lisc you will still need to take the test - it will be offered in English if you're in a major city. Standard is for them to offer it as a computer test of 100 Questions from a pool of 1,500 potentials. You can download and study the Questions and answers in advance but there is no actual textbook to study. When I took the test the questions for both the Car and Moto tests were the same - not sure why they bothered making me take the test twice. You have to score a 90% or better out of 100 to pass.

3) Buy a Bike - To buy a bike you will definitely need a 1 yr resident or work visa - basic requirement to officially OWNING property in China.

4) Definitely get a new passport NOW before you do anything with Chinese Visas or attempt to get a DL here. Waste of time an money to add any PRC Visa to a passport with less than 1 yr validity.
    Thanks for the answer, but as far as I read throughout this topic and others:
    1) I read everywhere that International DL is not recognized in China. And I also read that if I get a 'short term license' based on that, it's not valid outside the city where the temporary license is obtained, is that correct?
    I also read somewhere there is no temporary DL for moto, only for rental cars, which combined to the area restriction, makes it utterly useless...or did I get something wrong here?
    2) Good to know the test is in English for moto, too, thanks!
    3) Buying the bike doesn't need to be too "official" ... even if I can buy a bike registered on somebody else and some paper proof I did not steal it is fine for me. I find it hard to believe than moto dealers looking for easy money would not find a way of making this work..or am I wrong in my assumption here?
    4) I'll get the new passport, thanks!

3. #673 Re: How to get a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    read everywhere that International DL is not recognized in China
    You are correct.
    But IMO would still be helpful if you don't or can't get a Chinese DL C1E.
    Not sure if the temperory Chinese DL you can get at the airport is only valid for that city.
    But it would only be valid for the same length of time as your visa.

Yes most people would only get a C1 car only at the airport, but I see no reason why you can't ask for a C1E car and bike.
    Just tell them your here to road test motorbikes?
    Bike not in your name.
    No big problems here except for speeding or traffic fines.
    Also when you go to sell it could be a problem.
    And don't forget after 3 years it needs to be inspected.
    So you need the legal owner to be a close friend.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #674 Re: How to get a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    1) Temp Lisc - Legal is a very relative term in China.... If you can show a legal outside Lisc and you also have the official International Lisc, then most cops won't bother you. The real key is not to do anything stupid that would make them want to give you a ticket. Now if you do get into a real situation and cause an accident, then you are likely to pay an even larger fine or they scream at you more, but ultimately the Lisc itself won't make a difference. You just are not gonna get much in the way of a short-term lisc in China without a real Visa. I have heard of guys that get a temp lisc for riding their bike FROM Europe through parts of China - but it is mostly a lisc for their bike to be on Chinese roads, not for them as a driver.

2) Buying Bikes - If you DON'T have a legal DL here in China you will be very hard pressed to get a shop to RENT you a bike for more than a few days. They don't want to take the risk if you get caught and they lose the bike as penalty. Maybe a small local place will sell you an overpriced USED Chinese bike / Scooter, but that is hardly worth the trouble.
    Sam --
    The older I get, the faster I was....
    2006 CJ750 Sidecar / 2012 Ducati MTSPP / 2013 SRX5

5. #675 Re: How to get a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    dl_license1-1.jpg

Read at the bottom you need to have a translation of your home country DL as well.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

6. #676 Re: How to get a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post

Read at the bottom you need to have a translation of your home country DL as well.
    And it also says in RED "Operation of rental cars only" :-(

7. #677 Re: How to get a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    Yes you are correct but the guy only asked for car ?
    See my point
    Until someone goes and say Hi mate can't drive a car but ok on a bike.
    Then we will know if you can get a C1E.?
    Until then we are ALL PISSING IN THE WIND ?

8. #678 Re: How to get a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    [QUOTE=raduop;87532]Thanks for the answer, but as far as I read throughout this topic and others:

<snip/>
    3) Buying the bike doesn't need to be too "official" ... even if I can buy a bike registered on somebody else and some paper proof I did not steal it is fine for me. I find it hard to believe than moto dealers looking for easy money would not find a way of making this work..or am I wrong in my assumption here?

-----------------
    It's all based on your situation, but just to share what I can about buying...
    I'm in a small outer suburb of a central city (Zhengzhou), and they couldn't care less about licenses or registrations for small, such as <200cc bikes.
    Of course, they might change that some day, or you might go somewhere else that does care, so legal is smart.
    But I am the 4th or 5th foreigner to use the same Sundiro Honda shop and another used a Wuyang and they only need to talk about price. None of us had a license, and none of us had a problem. They even stamped all the spiffy Honda papers so that it looks pretty official. There was simply no discussion of registration.
    (although I've read in here it will be tough to sell to a private party since it's unregistered and so they can't transfer the registration)

9. #679 Re: How to get a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Regular
    I wrote somewhere before...

IF you plan on doing foggy things (gray area) things. for license and bikes, you need to think of the worst that can happen and are you ok with the consequences.

Many of the advice here is for very small problems like getting stopped at a check point or traffic tickets. If you hit someone, or are hit or crash into property (damage) you need to be aware of the amount of cash you need to fork out. I had a friend who had a diver on the street jump in front on him and said her head hurt... he had a "rental" and when all was said and done he had to paid 15k in hospital expenses and 5k to the lady for her suffering and police were essentially just there to broker a "deal". He was not illegal but police just said they will not help either side and impounded all vehicles and took both sides IDs and visas until either they rectified it or police would start "charging procedures".

This was in Shanghai.

10. #680 Re: How to get a Chinese Motorcycle License 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks everyone for the useful info!

Maybe I'd need to clarify some more things: my wish is to ride mainly through rural areas, mountains and desert. Through cities, I will only ride when absolutely needed, otherwise park at some accommodation and use local public transport or taxi.

The idea behind having a license and bike registration was so that I don't get bothered too much on checkpoints or if they catch me riding to fast, or other minor things like these, which could escalate badly if the officer has a bad day and I can't show any other papers beside my passport and original license. Granted, if they have a really bad day, I suppose no papers could really save me, but it's good to have them nonetheless, I reckon.

The idea behind some insurance would be to have it "just in case". I was, for example, involved in an accident in India in 2015. The police were really friendly and helpful, once I presented them all the papers and they were all in good order. That's the sort of situation where an otherwise cheap and almost negligible insurance can make a big difference. I ended up with a busted knee that had me limping for a few weeks, but I suppose that' another price that one sometimes needs to pay for riding a bike and not being too careful at it.

All in all, I don't have too many concerns, I just want to avoid the things that, starting from minor traffic "incidents", could land me in a really bad situation.

One more thing, any info where I could check what kind of bikes would be found on the market? A dual sport would be nice, as I suppose the mountain roads aren't exactly fit for superbikes..Also service network for the brand is something to consider, as the bike will need servicing from time to time.

Page 68 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1848586667686970 ... LastLast