Hi Everybody,

I’m in the process of getting my new bike (http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...GY-2-(aka-X2)) registered in my own name with a real 云A plate – interesting experience, believe me.

All the following is valid for Kunming, only, and only today, as it might change tomorrow…TIC

You need to prepare the following:
1. Motorbike related documents
2. FaPiao (Invoice)
3. Passport with Visa
4. Residence Registration
5. Insurance

1. Motorbike related documents
I got two main things that are needed for registration
a) One colourful paper with all technical data and registration numbers (Frame ID, Engine ID…)
b) One simple print out with a barcode and some other information

2. FaPiao (VAT Invoice)
Be sure you receive 3 copies in different colours.
Thats to verify YOU bought this bike and paid the 17%VAT, so it must be in the name of the person it is registered later.
When buying the bike be sure you have the FaPiao in your Chinese Name. For the registration you need a verification of your Chinese Name, your name in the passport and the related passport number. I forgot that paper at home today, that cost me 1h discussion and arguing.

I’m not sure, if it can be registered in your foreign name, maybe, I haven’t tried. Strange thing is, that many systems in China don’t support your foreign name, like my driving license is also with Chinese Name, I asked to get with my foreign name, in Kunming and Shanghai (6 years ago) not possible.

Btw. This invoice can be changed/redone by the dealer, if you find in the process that you cant register the bike in your name as some conditions can not be fullfilled.

3. Passport & Visa
Not sure what are the requieremnts. I’m on a Residence permit, that is issued in March, so rather recent. ChinaV mentioned 180 remaining validity in another post.

4. Resident Registration
For Kunming your registered residence must be outside of the 2nd Ring Road. Inside of 2nd Ring Road a bike can not be registered. Theoretically it should be possible to buy such plates, but they are not available, even for lots of money…
Anyhow, as a foreigner it’s easy to shift your residence, just find a friend with a apartment outside the restricted zone, make rental contract, register at responsible police station.
Here we have big advantage to our Chinese Compatriots, the HuKou systems makes such a move impossible.

5. Insurance
I bought the compulsory Insurance for 120 RMB. That should be the only one you really need. The problem is that it covers only 10.000RMB in Medical bills if something happens to a 3rd party. That might be enough if Famer Wang hits a guy in the fields, but if you get in a situation and they realize you have a long nose you will see the $$$ in their eyes – JACKPOT!
I bought another 3rd party liability insurance that covers additional 50.000RMB, its only 51RMB – dirt cheap, actually I wanted 500.000RMB that would be only around 140RMB but they don’t sell this – no reasons given for that.
“You want additional? Take the 50.000RMB and leave us alone…” TIC
I haven’t covered anything else on the bike, such as stolen or something, will investigate that later.
My experience with Insurance in China is - it is very cheap and more important, it really pays! So it’s worth the money, if you have somebody Chinese to deal with them in a claim case.
I bought Insurance from CPIC http://www.cpic.com.cn/ but any other will do as well, they are all the “same”.

Okay, got all that? Time to bother some Government officers…

6. Vehicle Purchase Tax
Go to Vehicle Purchase Tax office and pay the duty on the bike, 10%.
Paper 1. b) was needed here, it has all information for the Tax officers in the barcode.

There was a situation about the Chinese name on the FaPiao, it is nowhere mentioned in your passport, so have a verification ready. I got them convinced as the Passport Number is mentioned also in the Driving License with my Chinese Name and on the FaPiao. Took a while wasted 1h, the verification paper would saved that discussion.

The location for Kunming XiShan district is here: 25.022015,102.6882 (copy & paste into google maps)
This is different from district to district where the residence is registered I was told.

7. Traffic Police
They take your bikes ID number and copy it with tape and red ink onto the bikes certificate. Fill out some papers, pay some small money and they send you off again to the Technical Inspection.
XiShan District Traffic Police is here: 25.044533,102.658326

8. Vehicle Management Office
In Kunming are several Vehicle Management Offices but seems only the No. 4 is doing the bike inspections. All others focus on cars, busses, trucks.
No 4 Vehicle Management Office is here: 25.041632,102.644105

No thrills here, register, pay, test light and brakes, 10minutes later off you go.

9. Traffic Police
…they are closed Friday afternoons, so be back on Monday...

Why I do that? Why I bother with this ‘procedure’, instead of letting somebody deal with it?
Most important, you could say I’m curious.
Last time the car was registered it was dealt with by the dealer, he needed 2 weeks – I wanted to see why.
I’m too long in China to ignore such procedures, that I would handle back home by myself as well.

So far I would say if all locations would be clear from the beginning and I had my name verification with me I could have handled it by myself, I had some help and guidance from the guys I bought the insurance.
Another “helper” who wanted to charge 200RMB backed out as I said I will join him through the process. That made his offer very suspicious to me, would I receive ‘legal’ registration from such a person? I have doubts!
The way I proceed with this now, I know who got what money for what, everything will be legal, no funny twists!

Again everything said so far is for Kunming only! And it might have changed while I writing this...