Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 kinlon is a 'roketa' and maybe other things? 
    I found out through browsing pages deep into Google that my Kinlon KBR GL 200 GY2 (what a lot of numbers!) is basically, or was, once called a 'Roketa' and thus I got to find some basic manuals online and so on.

Does anybody here know more of the manufacturer 'Kinlon' and any name changes? Chongqing Kinlon S & T Group Co., Ltd.

It would be handy to know of other bike parts or makes that would fit this machine too. Like a rear luggage rack, windshield (I am 188 cm tall and need one badly).

I am growing to like it a lot, only done 300km so far but that is only because I have a smashed back and cannot ride far. I don't like or trust the importers much as they never offer any help just say bring it in (to make money obviously). I live a 100 km from them and do not want to take it in for tune-ups etc or small questions I have as I learn. I am not really mechanically competent but willing to have a go.

The local bike shop is refusing to touch it or even look at it (jap bikes only they say), they have had some bad experiences of chinese bikes. Well I am old enough to remember UK riders saying bad things about jap bikes and without meaning to be culturally incorrect, a few million chinese amd asian bike owners cannot all be wrong! I think my bike has a chance of lasting if I maintain it and even improve it a little over time, thus my search for information.

And one day when I am not so scared I want to take it on more than 30km round trips!!!

2. #2 Re: kinlon is a 'roketa' and maybe other things? 
    I know a fellow in China who had the earliest version of the Kinlon and clocked over 35k/km on it with relatively little problems. If I'm keeping my names to manufacturers straight.. I believe the Kinlons are Loncin bikes.

Forget the local bike shop. Nice thing about these bikes is they'll be easy to wrench ... actually they're probably the best to learn on as the tools needed are relatively simple and cheap. As with all these bikes its worth taking the plastics off and checking all the major screws... namely engine mount bolts and suspension bits.

I think learning how to work on the bike will ultimately make you a more confident and understanding rider. A little mixture of wrenching and riding can do wonders!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: kinlon is a 'roketa' and maybe other things? 
    Hi CC.
    Is 'loncin' a good thing? I know 'some-one' must make the engines for the millions of bikes putting-putting around the world and some get a good rep, like 'postie' bikes in Australia for going on and on. One friend had a postie for ten years + everyday use without a single problem. Everyone laughs at me for hoping a chinese bike will be reliable over time but I hope I will have the last laugh. How long does a bike engine last? I know it is high revving but 35k/km seems very little compared to my 20 yr. old car for example at 250k/km and going well!
    I am not too put off by the idea of using a spanner, just that I am partly disabled with an old back injury and cannot bend or walk well. Yeah, I know, insane to get a R/T bike but I prefer to live my life at least a little, rather than just curl up and die!

4. #4 Re: kinlon is a 'roketa' and maybe other things? 
    Welcome jape. We have another member 'from the land down under' here and he has a Kinlon also. Check out WillsSM and his posts as he's done some sweet improvements to to his bike. Here's a start;

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...RE-KINLON-MODS

5. #5 Re: kinlon is a 'roketa' and maybe other things? 
    Thanks David.

6. #6 Re: kinlon is a 'roketa' and maybe other things? 
    hey jape, done roughly 300km on mine as well and if you really want to go for a ride one day let us know where in central Vic you are and i will gladly come join you if you like. would love to start taking mine on longer rides now and im only done in s/e suburbs of Melbourne

regards Matt
    2009 kinlon kbr200sm
    mods so far- custom gear rack, custom exhaust, custom bash plate, led indicators, led tail/stop light, 155main jet and needle set on 4th groove from top, airbox restrictor removed,front fairing shortened 75mm

7. #7 Re: kinlon is a 'roketa' and maybe other things? 
    Melbourne is a great place to ride... out in them thar' gold hills. Nice folks out that way. Rented a Hornet from Garners's and spent a couple days riding around there in 04.

Never got to do the Coastal Highway cuz I heard it's full o' fuzz. Decided to take the inland route instead and spend some time with a fellow 1st gen Honda V4 buddy, Peter. I'm sure you guys will recognize some of these pics.

AUS-MLB36.jpg

AUS-MLB38.jpg

This is Peter and his buddy John (and Daisy on the left) ... both are real get down and dirty guys.
    AUS-MLB79.jpg

John was in the process of building a BMW sidecar with the same track width as old 4Runners to cross the desert.
    AUS-MLB81.JPG

AUS-MLB92.JPG

Good times out there... would love to go back and do a Tour du Oz!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

8. #8 Re: kinlon is a 'roketa' and maybe other things? 
    Hi Matt, that sounds good. Never done a bush 'ride' with anyone before. Probably much safer and more fun. It may be a couple of months yet as I have a back injury that isn't too good at the moment but nearest town to me is Malmsbury which is the entrance way to many great tracks into the bush. Mind you,the Dandenongs isn't so far from you is it!

CC, you get over here again and you are sure of a few folk to do that coastal run with you, it is spectacular, and there are many, many places worth a bike trip in this great land. I have a few mates on big 'cruisers' and Harley's that load up the missus/old lady and go off for a few hundred Km every now and again and the photos they send back are wonderful. The biggest problem with this land for me (I came out here from UK) is that it is too bloody hot! However travelling on a bike helps with that. The other problem is distance as in China or USA - thousand of kms between mates. Small bikes don't cut it for such journeys. I am currently fixing up an old trailer to get the best of both worlds and take my archery gear as well.

9. #9 Re: kinlon is a 'roketa' and maybe other things? 
    hi jape, no mate the dandenongs are only 15min away, mind you malmsbury isn't that far away either mate. beautiful part of Vic u from mate have you ever ridden up to hanging rock before?
    2009 kinlon kbr200sm
    mods so far- custom gear rack, custom exhaust, custom bash plate, led indicators, led tail/stop light, 155main jet and needle set on 4th groove from top, airbox restrictor removed,front fairing shortened 75mm

10. #10 Re: kinlon is a 'roketa' and maybe other things? 
    cc, couldn't have put it better than jape, next time u here let us all know and we can hook up for ride.
    2009 kinlon kbr200sm