Quote Originally Posted by sixvolt View Post
The starting point for such a project would be one of the infamous, under-appreciated "plastic Changs". There are many variations/brands. Some of the most common model designations are: Chang Jiang M5 (closest to an original BMW /5 frame), Feng Tong, Xiang Jiang, Dongtian, etc. As Geronimo pointed out, this type is still in (dwindling) usage by the police and urban patrol units.

The green US Army themed conversion below was just a picture I found on the internet that seemed to be along the lines of your question.

The gray two wheeler with fairing was my Guan Jun 750 after removing the sidecar. Not legal, but fun as heck.

The two pics of the black bike are the end result of my project to 'revert' a plastic Chang back to its R75/5 roots. I started with the semi-derelict white-and-green police bike in the last picture.

I think it would be neat to try to adapt the M1 style of round fuel tank to the M5 frame to look more like the Ural you posted. I have seen it done in an on-line picture somewhere, but couldn't find it.

-Sixvolt

CJ750 M5 conversi&#11.jpgGuanjun 750 2 whe&#1.jpgMy Chinese R75 sl&#.jpgM5 on ride Feb 20&#48.jpgMy Chinese R75 sl&#.jpg
your black retro "beemer" aint look that bad!

i'm still playing around to convert another solo (would be my 4th Chang) to a kind of motocross version or so - problem is money and space to store the ride ...