Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Could anyone mod a Chang to be like this? 
    Quote Originally Posted by sixvolt View Post
    The starting point for such a project would be one of the infamous, under-appreciated "plastic Changs". There are many variations/brands. Some of the most common model designations are: Chang Jiang M5 (closest to an original BMW /5 frame), Feng Tong, Xiang Jiang, Dongtian, etc. As Geronimo pointed out, this type is still in (dwindling) usage by the police and urban patrol units.

The green US Army themed conversion below was just a picture I found on the internet that seemed to be along the lines of your question.

The gray two wheeler with fairing was my Guan Jun 750 after removing the sidecar. Not legal, but fun as heck.

The two pics of the black bike are the end result of my project to 'revert' a plastic Chang back to its R75/5 roots. I started with the semi-derelict white-and-green police bike in the last picture.

I think it would be neat to try to adapt the M1 style of round fuel tank to the M5 frame to look more like the Ural you posted. I have seen it done in an on-line picture somewhere, but couldn't find it.

-Sixvolt

Attachment 1630Attachment 1628Attachment 1631Attachment 1629Attachment 1632
    your black retro "beemer" ainīt look that bad!

i'm still playing around to convert another solo (would be my 4th Chang) to a kind of motocross version or so - problem is money and space to store the ride ...
    http://www.4444-Chang-Jiang-Design.com

2. #12 Re: Could anyone mod a Chang to be like this? 
    I think it would be neat to try to adapt the M1 style of round fuel tank to the M5 frame to look more like the Ural you posted.
    There is a CJ here in suzhou which has exaclty that. The customer wanted the M5 frame for its rear swingarm but liked the classic look of the M1. They used two tanks to do it. They welded the inside part of the M5 tank to the outside of the classic one. Apparently it was a difficult job, but it looks perfect.
    I won't bother trying to get a picture of it as it won't show anything more than just the classic looking tank.

3. #13 Re: Could anyone mod a Chang to be like this? 
    The two pics of the black bike are the end result of my project to 'revert' a plastic Chang back to its R75/5 roots. I started with the semi-derelict white-and-green police bike in the last picture.
    Sixvolt, I absolutely adore your work on this bike, I prefer it to the Ural!
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

4. #14 Re: Could anyone mod a Chang to be like this? 
    C-Moto Senior
    We've done a couple of these. E-Mail me for details.
    Regds,
    Jim
    www.bmwsidecar.com

5. #15 Re: Could anyone mod a Chang to be like this? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for the feedback, ZMC. I eventually configured that bike as a long-distance tourer. Those Adlo boxes are incredible.
    I'll bet Jim has worked up some nice /5-styled bikes. Would love to see pics.
    Plastic Chang Tou&#.jpg

6. #16 Re: Could anyone mod a Chang to be like this? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Thanks for the feedback, ZMC. I eventually configured that bike as a long-distance tourer. Those Adlo boxes are incredible.
    I'll bet Jim has worked up some nice /5-styled bikes. Would love to see pics.
    Plastic Chang Tou&#.jpg
    Have to agree on the ADLO boxes... I've had a couple now (ADLO 981 [topbox] models with key operated push-button release) that have withstood amazing abuse. One which has fallen from two different motorcycles/scooters and the top box although having suffered some slight scuffing/scratches have remained intact. Amazing plastics...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12