Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Could anyone mod a Chang to be like this? 

Ural have released this beauty. Is it possible for any of you Chang/BMW builders to build a solo like this? How about legality? Would a separated sidecar registered version still be legal solo? How much do you think it would cost, and do you think there is a market for something like this in China?

The company says, “Think of it as a bike that could have been produced by Ural in the 1970s if the engineers were allowed to fulfill their ambition for a performance two-wheeler.” The ST keeps the traditional Ural look, and like its sidecar cousins, it’s at home on a forest road as well as the Interstate. Interestingly, Ural will build each ST to order, using what it calls ‘Ural A La Carte’: “The starting point is the base model in flat black. It comes with straight stainless steel exhaust, standard gas tank, black trim, single ‘tractor seat’ and a black rear fender rack. You can choose to order additional equipment and/or upgrade from standard specification.” There are two seat options: a base model single ‘tractor’ seat with a rubber shock mount, or a two-up bench seat. You can also have two single seats, if you mount the second seat on the rear fender.
    Maybe with a more modern pillion one-piece seat would be more to my personal taste, rev counter and more modern shaped tank possible?

Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

2. #2 Re: Could anyone mod a Chang to be like this? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Ural have released this beauty. Is it possible for any of you Chang/BMW builders to build a solo like this? How about legality? Would a separated sidecar registered version still be legal solo? How much do you think it would cost, and do you think there is a market for something like this in China?

Maybe with a more modern pillion one-piece seat would be more to my personal taste, rev counter and more modern shaped tank possible?
    the CJ750's only come with license plates and relevant documents etc as a sidecar unit, not as a solo. Sure sometimes one can see some bikes where they have the chair removed, but technically thats breaking the law. Also getting 100% legal license plates for the CJ750's for foreign owners (in other words trying to get your name on the motor reg documents) is almost impossible for use in PRC. The sidecars have to be registered in a Chinese company/persons name.

3. #3 Re: Could anyone mod a Chang to be like this? 
    the CJ750's only come with license plates and relevant documents etc as a sidecar unit, not as a solo. Sure sometimes one can see some bikes where they have the chair removed, but technically thats breaking the law. Also getting 100% legal license plates for the CJ750's for foreign owners (in other words trying to get your name on the motor reg documents) is almost impossible for use in PRC. The sidecars have to be registered in a Chinese company/persons name.
    What I suspected, although I was more interested in the someone modding the bike angle. Probably requires Chang Jiang themselves to start to manufacture their own solo and get CCC approval for them to be legal as solos. Clearly there is moderate demand for a solo version for export, and even possibly domestically. The classic bike market is pretty big in some countries. Although Harleys are the obvious modern classic, there are many others which sell well as alternatives such as the Triumph Bonnevilles, Scamblers, the Norton Commando has been brought back from the dead recently. There are even custom bikes using old Honda CB550 and CB750 inline fours these days!
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

4. #4 Re: Could anyone mod a Chang to be like this? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    What I suspected, although I was more interested in the someone modding the bike angle. Probably requires Chang Jiang themselves to start to manufacture their own solo and get CCC approval for them to be legal as solos. Clearly there is moderate demand for a solo version for export, and even possibly domestically. The classic bike market is pretty big in some countries. Although Harleys are the obvious modern classic, there are many others which sell well as alternatives such as the Triumph Bonnevilles, Scamblers, the Norton Commando has been brought back from the dead recently. There are even custom bikes using old Honda CB550 and CB750 inline fours these days!
    Even minor mods can cause a problem, take any bike here in PRC and change the paint/colour and when it comes time to do the reinspection certificate, the vehicle will fail. They (authorities) only accept the original colour as supplied by manufacture or when first registered in PRC. Doing anything else substantially that is easily observed will also likely lead to failing the reinspection.

5. #5 Re: Could anyone mod a Chang to be like this? 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    At least in the capital CJs can be registered in a foreigner's name and it is widely done.However, the two 2 wheel version may not be legal.
    Andy

6. #6 Re: Could anyone mod a Chang to be like this? 
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    At least in the capital CJs can be registered in a foreigner's name and it is widely done.However, the two 2 wheel version may not be legal.
    Urals like the one in the first picture are awesome sidecar motocycles. They have a reverse gear and two wheel drive. Try to beat that!

http://www.ural-motorcycles.com/inde...d=75,0,0,1,0,0)

7. #7 Re: Could anyone mod a Chang to be like this? 
    Changs have also been produced with a similar shock-assy setup on the rear like the Urals!

As far as i know especially the Police-Version with this lots of plastic-covers had such a kind of rear singarm.

So usually conversion of a Chang to such a URAL-Outfit should not be a problem ...
    http://www.4444-Chang-Jiang-Design.com

8. #8 Re: Could anyone mod a Chang to be like this? 
    C-Moto Noob
    The starting point for such a project would be one of the infamous, under-appreciated "plastic Changs". There are many variations/brands. Some of the most common model designations are: Chang Jiang M5 (closest to an original BMW /5 frame), Feng Tong, Xiang Jiang, Dongtian, etc. As Geronimo pointed out, this type is still in (dwindling) usage by the police and urban patrol units.

The green US Army themed conversion below was just a picture I found on the internet that seemed to be along the lines of your question.

The gray two wheeler with fairing was my Guan Jun 750 after removing the sidecar. Not legal, but fun as heck.

The two pics of the black bike are the end result of my project to 'revert' a plastic Chang back to its R75/5 roots. I started with the semi-derelict white-and-green police bike in the last picture.

I think it would be neat to try to adapt the M1 style of round fuel tank to the M5 frame to look more like the Ural you posted. I have seen it done in an on-line picture somewhere, but couldn't find it.

-Sixvolt

CJ750 M5 conversi&#11.jpgGuanjun 750 2 whe&#1.jpgMy Chinese R75 sl&#.jpgM5 on ride Feb 20&#48.jpgMy Chinese R75 sl&#.jpg

9. #9 Re: Could anyone mod a Chang to be like this? 
    C-Moto Noob
    This was my first feeble attempt to make the Guanjun look more like a classic...

GJ750 in cave..jpgGJ750 2 wheel wit&#1.jpg

Good luck if you try such a project!

10. #10 Re: Could anyone mod a Chang to be like this? 
    Very interesting and good, not feeble results! I find that despite that it is often a lot more work, because it is an improvement and an achievement, restoration always feels much better than repair!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast