Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: 16 inch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: 16 inch 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I think the solo overall looks nice. My thoughts on the front rim/tyre set up, is that having a bigger rim on the front with a narrower tyre than what you have with the 16" rim and tyre would be better, it will not turn-in as easy like when racing through the twisties, but at low speed it will feel/be more manoeuvrable and it will feel the crap road surfaces less, meaning that rough surfaces will not be transferred through the bars to your hands and arms as much with the large diameter rim compared to the small 16" rim.

As for the look, well it's purely subjective, just like art, however I do prefer the look of the bigger rim and thinner tyre. But as above, how does it ride?

2. #12 Re: 16 inch 
    so far with the 16inchers no remarkable difference in the performance ...

my first chang - now almost 3 years ago - was a sidecar with the "bigger" 32 hp engine and i have a lot of ooportunities to also ride the 24 hp version with sidecar!

generally said performance of my solos is much better tahn with the heavy bucket on the side and for me riding is much more fun than with the bulky sidecar ...

anyway those rides are not engineered to run FAAAAAAAAST - drivetrain and everything is much too heavy but with the single-version performance is pretty good

no problems so far with the fat tyres - circling small slopes with a chang is difficult in every-case so i do not care quick the reaction is! for me manouverability is ok!
    http://www.4444-Chang-Jiang-Design.com

3. #13 Re: 16 inch 
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
    Since today i'm riding "fat" also on the front ...

Very nice! I would enjoy to roll with that one. It looks like a curvy (black) woman with plenty of stuff to touch Again makes me to think I should get a street (toy) bike for summer

4. #14 Re: 16 inch 
    C-Moto Noob
    Can you tell us where you got the spokes or the size/dimensions of them so we can duplicate your wheel setup?

Also, what is the tire size and model?

5. #15 Re: 16 inch 
    Quote Originally Posted by jag7720 View Post
    Can you tell us where you got the spokes or the size/dimensions of them so we can duplicate your wheel setup?

Also, what is the tire size and model?
    Yep!

That's a good idea ...

Should i tell you how long it took for me to get the correct setup of spoke-length - nipples - tyres and things????

Unbelieveable loooooooong!

If you want such a set - get in touch with me and after some money i forward you the info

6. #16 Re: 16 inch 
    btw:

pic of my current project ...
    Last edited by Geronimo; 03-26-2011 at 11:50 PM.

7. #17 Re: 16 inch 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
    Yep!

That's a good idea ...

Should i tell you how long it took for me to get the correct setup of spoke-length - nipples - tyres and things????

Unbelieveable loooooooong!

If you want such a set - get in touch with me and after some money i forward you the info
    Really? I guess you are going to own that info for a long time.... and when I figure it out, I'll post it for FREE.

I have to say,,,, what a really crappy attitude. And you use forums... forums are generally a place that people SHARE the info they have found so other people don't have to waste the same time and money making mistakes... See the logo up top? "Community and Resources". Not "Retail out let for info you don't have but need".

When I find info, I SHARE it. Remember what your parents taught you as a kid... "Share".

But I'll probably never come to this forum again, if only to put what I find about this set up.

Maybe you own the forum. and if you don't, then you are here just to make a dollar and that doesn't really make you part of the forum community.... just a capitalist.

Wow!

8. #18 Re: 16 inch 
    C-Moto Noob
    By the way... the tire appears to be a MT90-16 and you can get the spokes custom made by Buchanan Spokes http://www.buchananspokes.net/catego...spoke_sets.asp
    from $110 to $163 per set and if they haven't done this particular hub... send it to them and they will make up the spokes.

See how cheap and easy that was... and it didn't cost a dime. I'll post some pictures when I get mine done.... with final prices and anything that might have cause an issue.... all for the low price of free.

9. #19 Re: 16 inch 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Jag,

Thanks for posting some honest words. Geronimo's post surprised me too, and is not exemplary of the quality of MCM members.

I hope you stick around. There's a lot of value here.

What are you riding now, and what are you trying to make?

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #20 Re: 16 inch 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Jag,

Thanks for posting some honest words. Geronimo's post surprised me too, and is not exemplary of the quality of MCM members.

I hope you stick around. There's a lot of value here.

What are you riding now, and what are you trying to make?

cheers!
    euphonius,

Thanks! Now that I see he is relatively new to the forum (35 post) I think I'll stick around.

Not sure exactly what I have... It is probably russian (M72). The front end is chinese though. I bought it "new" from blitz bikes. I was going to sell it but spring has hit and that itch has come back. I had an old dnepr with a hack a few years ago and now this M72 solo. I'd like to just get it rolling and have something to scoot around town on.

Nothing fancy, just a simple ride. Parts are my weak link.. they are either non-existent or 8K miles away. I'll probably go with an 18" wheel as tires are easier to come by and I am changing the rear diff ratio to 3.5:1

I'm in Kansas City BTW.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast