Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    Hi, it is just me, I got her yesterday and we made it back to home today.

Edit: (After travelling about 370km together.)
    Last edited by moilami; 05-20-2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: A side note.

2. #2 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    (Ok I make a combined ride report and introduction in this thread. I know there is a designated place for ride reports, and I will use it after this report, but for this report I feel the introduction thread is a proper place.)

The Long Wait finally ended. I never got Galaxy 250 XTR, but I got a Skyteam 250 ST enduro. I took a train to Tampere and said goodbye to the train. As much as I like to travel by train, I much more prefer to travel by motorcycle.

I felt so abandoned I almost cried because I called three people to take me to the Skyteam dealer and everyone of them were unable to do it. One had to get his kids and wife and bring them here and there, one had to lead a meeting, and one had to go get wheels and tires for himself. People have so much life I at times wonder could they share some.

Luckily there are professional transportation services. I took a taxi from the railway station and proceeded to the Skyteam dealer. There was much love in the air when I saw my Skyteam for the first time.

She was not perfectly brand new but still quite unused.

Would you buy a bike from this man? I did happily. It was a blast to do business with him.

After leading an important meeting Tomas had time to come check my bike.

When I drove around Tampere I met two guys drinking beer and racing with these little bugs. The Ferrari used to be the winner but for some reason things has changed.

My Skyteam stares coldly at the fuel prize in Finland.

To be continued...
    Last edited by moilami; 05-21-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Formatting.

3. #3 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    Good to see you got some wheels! Looking forward to hearing more. What is May in Finland like, is it warm enough to really enjoy riding?

When I drove around Tampere I met two guys drinking beer and racing with these little bugs. Sounds like Finland is like Australia, without the flies and sun! Fuel prices here at present are about equivalent to just over a dollar US a litre.

4. #4 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    We had extraordinary warm weather here for about almost two weeks. The temperatures were +25 Celcius (77 Fahrenheit) and more. According to forecasts it will be much colder in the upcoming week. Colder than it should be normally.

Fuel costs here 1.5 euro one litre. It is quite some more than 1 euro per litre. Flies we don't have that much but we have mosquitos.

It can take some days before I can continue the story, work issues, but I can't complain of that even though I need to photograph funerals. Such can be life.

5. #5 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    Great buy, Moilami!! We used to have the 200 Skyteams imported and distributed by United Motors, but they lost interest in the dual sport, and now UM is no longer in business here. I know that Skyteam had an exclusive deal with UM, but now they might be able to bring these over. They seem more interesting than the 200, that is for sure!

6. #6 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    Hong Kong, China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, USA, Pirmasens
    Hi Moilami,

great to see that you finally got your ride. Very nice bike and popular color... You report is really nice and funny. Hope to see more coming up from you and the bike. I didn't look much around in China on local bikes besides the XTR and the JH600. Is this bike being sold in China too? Anyone knows the maker?
    Wishing you many fun miles on the bike - and lot's of pictures for us...

Cheers,
    AW.
    Modifications and talk around the JH600

My New JH600

7. #7 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfaelzer View Post
    Is this bike being sold in China too? Anyone knows the maker?
    Wishing you many fun miles on the bike - and lot's of pictures for us...

Cheers,
    AW.
    I am not sure of the extended name in China (i.e. Shadong Chongqing Lifan Zongshen Factory Company, LLC ), but the compan's main name is actually Skyteam.

8. #8 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    OK, found the company http://www.skyteam.cn/

And the company's name is not just Skyteam, but aka Jiangsu Sacin Motorcycle Co., Ltd.

9. #9 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    Thanks all and sorry for my bad English. I am happy with my bike and very curious to see how it goes. Will write more of the bike as the report/introduction goes on.

10. #10 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    The journey continued and after feeding myself with a “panilla” or something and with fuel my bike I inspected it. The Skyteam looked all good, except it was dropping oil. Or so I thought, it was oil coming from the chain concentrated on the one specific place in the chassis. The dealer at least had lubricated the chain well.

There was another problem too. It was too long way back to home for my bike without any oil changes. So I had two nice choises: either drive on and try to find a place on the way where engine oil can be changed or find a nice place to sleep and go in the morning back to the dealer. I opted for the latter and called one lady I knew near Tampere. Unfortunately she was not at home but in a work related trip and would not come back untill the next weekend. It meant I had no choises except to hit the road.

My left foot was almost numb because the second gear was at times next to impossible to enable in the city after the first gear (the problem now non existing). Leaving the city dealt with that problem. So I was enjoying big time of the incoming early night and warm weather with no problems, picking up photo opportunities here and there.

Since I didn’t had unlimited time with me I had to buy a map and do some planning on which route to take. It was not hard to ignore bigger roads for nice small roads, for the small roads I had time.

I thought that maybe I could change the engine oil in some fuel station. The first one I found was so called “cold station”, no luck this time.

The cold station refused to sell me fuel in small enough quantity to refil my bike.

After turning to a nice small road and driving it some time I saw a small village general goods shop and a backyard with two men and one ATV quad in the backyard. I kept driving untill I came to the next crossroads. There I stopped and begun to think what I saw. The bearded one looked like he could understand something of engines, and ATV quad suggested the same. I watched kids playing near me and thought I better go ask for help from them. The conversation went like this:

- Hey.
    - Hey.
    - Do you know where I can change engine oil to my bike here? It is a brand new bike and I have a long way back to home, it would be really awful for the bike if I would have to drive all the way back to home with the same engine oil.
    - Hmm.
    - I can pay you something, say 20 euro.
    - Is that KTM?
    - No, uhm, err.. it is just a china bike. I like KTMs a lot but unfortunately I had to buy this and see how it goes.
    - Do you have engine oil?
    - Yes, the dealer gave me a bottle and said I should change the oil somewhere on the way.
    - No problems mate, I will change the oil for you.
    - Great! I pay you.
    - No, you don’t have to pay anything.
    - Really?
    - Hey, this is now a different situation. You don’t have to pay anything. Now let me change the oil for you.

In addition to being a merchant in the shop he was also a professional mechanic, repairing all kind of engine powered stuff around. I had hard time in believing how lucky I was to meet them. For one it felt great to be a Finlander in Finland, and to meet other Finlanders. They seriously saved my day and for sure the day after too.

The used engine oil in the bike looked nasty! I had only drived 65km at that time! The dealer said he changed the oil too. The sight of the engine oil made me even more happy I got the oil changed! For my Skyteam!

After I told them I am going to write a story of my trip and publish it in Internet he laughed and said write in it too that be welcome all people to come change the engine oil by Service Chief Esa Laakso at Nikkilä’s village general goods shop. I say highly recommended! Seriously guys, I hope you read this someday and know that I am more than very eager to give you a hand in turn anytime. You rock, let the flag stay high.

Now everything was more than perfect, my Skyteam got the oils changed and I was darn good to continue my journey back to home.
    Last edited by moilami; 05-23-2010 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Formatting.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast