Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    Since I saw on the "Google maps" where you live and It was instant clear why Finland is called "land of a thousand lakes", I wonder if you're planning to buy an amphibious vehicle,... .....because I know a guy in St. Petersburg, which can provide you BRDM good at fair price...
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

2. #32 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    BRDM sounds very interesting, please tell me more

Seriously, the superior independent man all terrain adventuring vehicle is here:

(From: http://www.autoevolution.com/trucks/gaz/history/)

Could build a photo studio on the back of it for portraits of the locals

3. #33 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    Well... "Sadko" is not amphibious...
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

4. #34 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    I don't care! She looks sweet. And I am sure I could figure out something with her, like driving on the shore of lakes

5. #35 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    After seeing your Skyteam I'm considering a second scoot. I can see it is quick and agile. I suffer horrible back pain and the light weight is a blessing. I'm planning a modest camp and ride at the end of the month. There are so many places to go I'm having a hard time choosing a destination. I guess I'll let my back decide how far I want to ride.
    See ya on the road.
    Di

6. #36 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    Hello Dianageorgina! I did not understand exactly are you considering to buy another scooter or enduro. I have driven both, a scooter is in my opinion a little bit more comfortable in some scenarios than these modern enduros, but I would strongly recommend you to try out an enduro. They are a treat to drive everywhere except not so much in highway, which doesn't mean they could not be taken to the highway. Also you can drive them with your back straight, and if you don't have already you can buy a motorcycling body armour, which in my opinion greatly supports your back and stuff.

I can copy with your problems in chosing where to drive. I can mess my head with it! Yet I have learnt that it doesn't matter that much in the end. Just trust your instincts and go where you desire the most, and never look back! Take a hammer and bash the mileage meter on the bike, it is not about tons of kilometers eaten. Your back will like that too for sure.

See you on the road, and before that please take some photographs with what you can share the journey and relive it yourself later.

7. #37 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Enduro, okay. That's what the Skyteam is. I've always ridden street bikes, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Honda. This is my first scooter. I've always admired the enduro. And yeah I'm considering an enduro too. I've always wanted off road capabilities, but I don't want to race. That back armour looks interesting. There is a sport bike shop that sells that gear. I might pop in and try some on. Thanks I never would have thought of that. Yes, I plan on taking pictures, can't wait to share.
    That's all I got. See ya on the road.
    Di

8. #38 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    Yeah, my Skyteam definetly is a pure blood enduro :) That kind of enduros can look like racing machines, and yes you can use them for racing, but it does not meant they would be unsuitable fot the public roads. The very opposite is true. They have great suspensions, chassis, and wheels, are light weight and easy to drive and you will sit in higher position which means you will see better around, and more; you can easily stand on the pegs to give rest for your rear and body by stretching yourself in addition to being able to see even better around. If things get rough they just laugh and say "bring it on, I will assist you the best".

I myself got my first enduro driving experience in Rhodes when I were 14. The bike was Yamaha DT, a wild and feral two stroke mutt. I were there with my friend, and after two days we were bored as hell, and my friend insisted we rent scooters. I laughed and said no way I am gonna rent one. My friend however did and had plenty of fun, so I had to try it too. I was sold at once and wanted to get a scooter myself. I just could not get one rented myself because I was too young, so my friend who was 15 rented a scooter for me. It was fun even though the scooter sucked big time and it was almost unacceptable that my friend's scooter had so much better engine I was left behind if we raced. Then, after I picked up some hot Swedish woman on the street begging for a transport and had to help with my feets the scooter to move forward on uphills, I thought I seriously must get something better, it is a little bit embarassing even though I had so good time in the situation I laughed a lot, and my friend laughed even more. After taking the Sweden woman around Rhodes city all the way to the old town to her hotel in streets where driving with motorized vehicle was prohibited (she chose the route and I just drove proudly) and making a deal with her that I will come pick her up later it was clear I must get a bike worth her. So we begun to check bike rental shops and saw about brand new Yamaha DTs in one, and I instantly knew that this is what I must get. I still remember the name of the shop, it was called "Butterfly" something. A nice Englishman was the head of it and understood well my eagerness to get the DT when I complained of the scooter. He was also nice enough to ignore my age :D So I was able to rent the DT myself. The rent was ridicuously cheap. Now the real life begun! At those times none weared a helmet or any protective gear, which contributed greatly in feeling the freedom. Me and my friend had equal bikes and countless were the times I had to stop and wait for long for him to catch me as we practised to drive with the new feral bikes so I would not put the Swedish lady in shame. But as it goes so often, things does not go as planned and I ran out of fuel in some strange place early in night. I had maybe one hour time to get fuel before I had to go to pick up the lady. It meant I had to get my friend's bike so I could find fuel fast (I argued that I do it since I am a faster driver and speak better English), which I did, and my friend guarded my bike. I had hard time in trying to find a fuel station which was open, and soon after almost crashing the bike in one crossroads where I evaded a car, the bike wanted to go to reserve fuel. I drove and found where I left my friend, but he was not there. I chose the best to do is go to the hotel to see if he is there. He was not, but after 15 minutes he came smiling widely. I asked where is my bike. He said it is outside the hotel, some man came to sell fuel to him. It was very great news! I congratulated him and said alright now give my keys to me, which I did and got my bike back with full fuel tank. I was late on picking the the woman and since my friend's bike did not have fuel we chose I drive and my friend is a passanger and we don't even go check if the Swedish woman is at her hotel anymore. The inevitable happaned later again, the bike went to reserve fuel, which meant we had to call it a day. The second day came, and within touring around the Rhodes island, finding beaches and small villages we never knew existed there. I learned a couple of important lessons. The first one was "don't drive in the beach, the sand is bad for the bike", told to me by the man who rented the bike in a serious and unaproving voice. The second lesson was "now you pay because you fell", told in a firm and no mercy voice. But it was not that bad! He kept renting the bikes. What was bad was that because I had to pay the repairing of the bike I could not rent a bike in the last day before the departure back to Finland -.- Anyway, with that 1 1/2 weeks honeymoon with an enduro my heart has beaten very passionately and lovingly at those superior feral bikes which will gladly take you anywhere you want to go. The only question with them is do you have the guts to go, something I have found asking myself now in my older days. No matter, just in case I want to go, pretty please, let me have a feral enduro under me. Just in case.

9. #39 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    Ok case closed, except for one thing. A photograph of myself taken by Arttu Pelgonen.

Have fun.

EDIT: A photograph of me with my great girl Skyteam ST 250, forgot that.

10. #40 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I was going to say, the moral of the story is "a good bike beats a marginal woman, every time." Yes, she is sweet.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast