Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    You are doing well in life's small adventures mate! There is unlikely to be a law against impersonating a journalist/professional photographer but you should try and get some credentials .... Not necessarily a Union, it could be a Professional Association and you might get in by offering your services to be listed as a self-employed local representative for a nearby newspaper or TV station. Or as I did, many moons ago, start and print and edit your own local journal and get the credentials started that way. Offer pictures to local news services and try and get some high res. video as well, inexpensive and very portable these days. Local interest pictures you offer for free but wanting attribution at first may be the way to go, gets you some status and a portfolio, then you can move up.

Don't forget, all though you gave up on Computer technology as a career, these days you can justifiably start, run and publish a web magazine and gain credentials that way. Use a modern internet connected phone or wireless netbook all set up for quick uploads.

Get up to date with the laws of privacy as apply in your country (spend a bottle of whisky on a session with an experienced journo, never met one yet who wouldn't enjoy that, male and female). Think about insurance too. Third party as well as your own. Good luck, follow the dream - many photo-journalists started out on a motorbike I am sure!

2. #22 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Moilami,

I hope you called the local newspaper and sold them your pix -- at least 46 euros to cover your oil change! One sale like that and you are no longer an amateur. Actually, all my photojournalist friends will hate me for saying that. It's almost impossible to make a living as a news photographer because everyone now has a camera in their pocket, and the news media like getting things for free or almost free...

I once had a neighbor who was a medical doctor as well as avid photographer who liked nothing more than covering firefighters in action. His office always crackled with the sounds of a police scanner and he'd rush out the door at the first word of a fire or accident. There were plenty of occasions when he had to put down his camera and help treat the injured, but he always came away with powerful images.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #23 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    Thanks Jape of the good suggestions. I wont however give my pictures for free to any commercial company or organization. It is a matter of principle I developed after reading and hearing pro photo journalists. Commercial entities don't deserve to get my work for free. If it means I will never make money with photography then so be it. If I get some kind of apprentice/trainee position then that will be a different thing.

Euphonius, I paid attention are there any other photographers and there were none except one held a compact camera in his hands far away of the situation and one kid photographed with a camera phone from far too. I knew I would have some photographs for the local newspaper and more; I would have the best photographs. Anyway I were too busy in continuing my journey and disliked a lot the idea of giving the memory card with all the pictures of my trip away to unknown people. I thought about driving quicly back to home and offering the pictures from my home via Internet. In that I failed however since it took longer than expected to get back home xD Not too long though, again lazy me for not reaching for the opportunity to sell the pictures which would had given some colour to the article of the accident in the local newspaper. I also think I owe that to the firemen If I could do something differently I would go in person to the local newspaper right away after filling the memory card. Would had made a different kind of additional adventure too.

4. #24 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    You are welcome, I enjoyed my short time in the game, opened lots of doors and was fun taking on local Council, politicians and so on. When I said 'free' I also said for 'attribution' which used to count for something, a published picture with your name is (or used to be) worth money in the bank when you start. Most famous photojournalists have an iconic pic of some sort that got them recognised. Anyway, good luck and looking forward to seeing more.

5. #25 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    Hmm, okay have to think about that. After all a picture unpublished is a picture wasted, except as part of personal memories.

6. #26 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    So... judging by the photos, not all Finns are blond and blue eyes... ;-)
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

7. #27 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    So... judging by the photos, not all Finns are blond and blue eyes... ;-)
    xD Well yeah, not everyone... but brunettes are almost considered to be exotic here xD And naughty blondes are considered to be potentially good wifes xD

girls..jpg

Actually women here can often have grey and green eyes, in addition to blue. And brown of course which is exotic for sure. But go to Sweden, I almost freaked there when someone told Swedes have the most blue eyed people per capita, and I begun to pay attention. Everyone I saw had blue eyes! Brunettes and blondes alike!

8. #28 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    hi moilami,

what beautiful pics from your part of the world mate great to see another part of the world from another perspective
    look forward to more photos and reports

cheers matt
    2009 kinlon kbr200sm
    mods so far- custom gear rack, custom exhaust, custom bash plate, led indicators, led tail/stop light, 155main jet and needle set on 4th groove from top, airbox restrictor removed,front fairing shortened 75mm

9. #29 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    Thanks Stromnes. I like a lot these motorcycling forums because in here people demand photographs as opposite to my relatives and friends who could not be less interested, or worse as it is regarding my relatives who begin to ask question and interrogate me for being in the wrong place in the wrong time -.-

10. #30 Re: Skyteam 250 ST and Moilami 
    After photographing the accident on the road I knew I would have the best pictures of it since I were the only photographer around. I had an option to try sell some to the local newspaper or even to a nationwide newspapers since it was a very unsual accident. The options did not interest me much anyway because it could had meant giving the memory card away for strangers, which in turn would had put at risk all my pictures from my trip. There was a tiny theoretical chance of losing all my pictures, and I didn't want to take it. After all my main audience were in Internet, not in printed media.

A new memory card I had to get, so I drove back to Heinola city. From there I found one and tried it outside of the shop. Below is the picture taken, published here for Jape for him to see cityscapes in Finland. Cities does not interest me much, they are dull, dirty, messy, noisy and boring places full of regulations and limits. I don't get it why to travel with haste through all kind of wonderfull places in the rural areas just to sit in traffic jam in some city with issues in finding a good place to eat etc. It is cool? Eh... not for me.

The road where the acident happened was still closed. I had to find another way to Mikkeli, which was not hard. There are tons of roads in Finland. I just drove somewhere and let o'Fortuna chose my way. As usual she smiled upon me warmly and I found much more interesting road which even led me eventually to Mikkeli. Were I in need of a bath I could had done it along the way.

Things begun to look really good when I saw a road sign saying "possibly nasty damaged road ahead". I did not know where I would end up. It mattered little.

I found a small nice general goods shop, and it was a time to get some refreshments. I bought Coca Cola and went to sat on the opposite side of the road on the shade of an old barn. There I enjoyed the best moments on my trip. The weather was very sweet, and I was very relaxed listening birds singing watching people come and go.

"Unfortunately" however my friend again asked me in phone when I am back to Mikkeli and come quicly if you want to get some excellent Thai food. Hell yeah! I grabbed a map of the improvised saddle bag made of my old helmet (travel light they say) and figured out which of the two road choises would be the fastest way to Mikkeli.

The journey to get the bike was coming to the end. Had I shipped my bike it would had costed me 140 euro. On my trip I spent less money and got a priceless journey. Not a grandiose epic around the world trip, but I had no reason to whine about that. I took the last travel picture 40km away of the Mikkeli and felt very good of my little Skyteam. I felt also a burning desire to plan a tour to Norway, Sweden, Denmark, then back to Sweden and Finland. Or more extreme touring Kola Peninsula in Russia. I had developed a trust bond between me and my Skyteam, now named unoriginally as "Orange" (thought about Mandarin too, but it felt too much of mockery and I love Netherlands). Here she waits, asking for more.

The trip from Tampere to Mikkeli gave her 370km. Almost double when compared what would had been the shortest way. Now as I write this I have driven 1100km with no problems at all and only one nut coming slightly lose in addition to slightly too lose chains which had to be adjusted and slightly loosened mirrors.

The Skyteam ST 250 can vibrate a little, it is not highly powered, and the bench is not very comfortable for longer touring (what do you expect). Other than that it seems to be very competent and sturdy little machine. Highways are not her ground though nor mine. She shines on the dirt and excells off-road. She is fine in a city also.

I have to say I am quite perfectly happy with my Orange Skyteam. Of course more power would be great, but can't get everything for the price I paid of her. Overal she was a huge positive surprise for me and I have to bow and thank big time Sirkku Kantola, a Finnish woman, Master of Engineering, enduro racing driver, a mother, a mechanic, an independent and objective critical thinker etc etc for recommending me the Skyteam. Thank you! In addition to her I have to thank Service Chief Esa Laakso in Nikkilä and his friend, the unknown maintenance worker at Lahti skijumping towers, Riku Motor in Lahti, and the great My China Moto community (and ADVrider), my relatives and friends all for being part of making my first date with Skyteam possible as it was. Thank you! Drive safe and may the Force be with you.
    Last edited by moilami; 06-05-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Proof reading.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast