Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Buckin' Bronco -- breaking in my JH600 in rural Sichuan 
    Great write up so far euphonius, keep it coming.

You and TexasAggie have me thinking hard about adding a JH600 to the stable. Of course I'm sending it to Pfaelzer first for all the farkles

Cheers!
    ChinaV

2. #12 Re: Buckin' Bronco -- breaking in my JH600 in rural Sichuan 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Found this post http://www.moto8.cn/viewthread.php?t...&authorid=2652 by chance while reading on motofans.cn and http://motorcycle.sh.cn/viewthread.php?tid=330242 Though you might be interested since it details a lot of JH600 mods that these guys have done

3. #13 Re: Buckin' Bronco -- breaking in my JH600 in rural Sichuan 
    Unfortunately my browser and WOT warn me from this Moto8 site as a nasty Malware rated site! It is globally blacklisted for 'exploits', whatever that means, don't see how a forum can exploit anyone .... lol

4. #14 Re: Buckin' Bronco -- breaking in my JH600 in rural Sichuan 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    Unfortunately my browser and WOT warn me from this Moto8 site as a nasty Malware rated site! It is globally blacklisted for 'exploits', whatever that means, don't see how a forum can exploit anyone .... lol
    A forum can exploit you indirectly by using your computer. I don't go into details - this is the rare case when I just say "believe me". Though I am not saying the forum mentioned can do it.

5. #15 Re: Buckin' Bronco -- breaking in my JH600 in rural Sichuan 
    Thanks Moilami, I was being facetious but I should have known better myself, I used to be a techie once, I shall take heed of the warning then as WOT are well trusted in their ratings.

6. #16 Re: Buckin' Bronco -- breaking in my JH600 in rural Sichuan 
    hey euponius... A group of us plan to do a ride Mon-Wed next week around Zhejiang, probably LiShui, Jiande, QianDao Hu etc. though not 100% concrete on where exactly, but its 3 days of riding. Maybe you'd like to join us? Grab a few things, ride down to Ningbo to meet up with us Sunday, stay here overnight and leave with us Monday morning... at least get your a** down here and join in for some fantASStic riding... c'mon no excuses... I'll even ride up to meet you half way Sunday if that entices ya... OK, I draw the line at wearing a frock!

7. #17 Re: Buckin' Bronco -- breaking in my JH600 in rural Sichuan 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Bikerdoc,

Wow! What an offer! It's especially nice to find it after spending 10 hours today getting my JH registered and plated for Shanghai. (More on this later.)

Alas, I'm going to have to take a raincheck on this DuanWuJie holiday invitation. Ryan (of MKRide.com) and I are booked to ride out to Huangshan in Anhui province, and we'll be riding quite a bit of the route that Felix laid out in his "Zhejiang is the shit" ride last week. We'll be sort of shadowing a ride organized by one of the two Shanghai BMW dealers, and will probably join at least part of the BMW rodeo they are organizing on Tuesday, but more than anything we are keen to take our first ride together as a duo.

I can assure you I'll come down soon.

And here it is, along with the two guys who've moved mountains to get me properly registered: Liu Zhidong and Fan Peisheng.

jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #18 Re: Buckin' Bronco -- breaking in my JH600 in rural Sichuan 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Bikerdoc,
    Wow! What an offer! It's especially nice to find it after spending 10 hours today getting my JH registered and plated for Shanghai. (More on this later.)
    Alas, I'm going to have to take a raincheck on this DuanWuJie holiday invitation. Ryan (of MKRide.com) and I are booked to ride out to Huangshan in Anhui province, and we'll be riding quite a bit of the route that Felix laid out in his "Zhejiang is the shit" ride last week. We'll be sort of shadowing a ride organized by one of the two Shanghai BMW dealers, and will probably join at least part of the BMW rodeo they are organizing on Tuesday, but more than anything we are keen to take our first ride together as a duo.
    And here it is, along with the two guys who've moved mountains to get me properly registered: Liu Zhidong and Fan Peisheng.
    No worries. Coincidently though we're also planning to hit Huangshan in the 3 day bike trip, though not 100% certain of that. Who knows we might get to meet up as it is. We'll see...
    I've spent the evening putting my Dragstar up on a jack, axle stands and some cribbing to take both wheels off, as my Dragstar has wire wheel rims with tubed tyres that I want to convert to tubeless, much easier to do puncture repairs on a tubeless tyre as the Dragstar has no centre stand and it's damn heavy. While a puncture on the front woul be easier, the rear is a mission with tubed tyres. Earlier this year, I unfortunately found that out the hard way one night after having ridden 300km alone some months back to meet up with my regular riding crew down south Zhejiang, who'd left earlier in the morning. Fortunately I'd made the rendezvous uneventfully, but as one of the guys turned up on his Dragstar custom, to lead me to the restaurant to join the rest of the gus, I got a flat tyre right outside our hotel. Fast forward to the morning and with the team effort we had the rear wheel off (not easy on those big cruisers) but then faced an effort trying to have the puncture repair, as it was a national holiday. One guy in a small ill equipped shop tried his best, but without the right gear he was never going to be able to repair the tube which had about 4 holes in it. I'd managed to collect a long 6' piece of steel wire which had gone into the rear tyre and in and out of the tube several times. Fortunately we found one shop in the town/city after more than an hours hunting, which was open until midday. They could vulcanise the tube etc. but had this happened in the middle of 'nowhere' I'd have been up "shiet creek without a paddle'
    I vowed then to change to tubeless... so I carry around the pressurised puncture repair in a can (which didn't work in my situ above due to the number of holes in the tube), and the tubeless repair kit paraphernalia.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 06-11-2010 at 10:51 PM.

9. #19 Re: Buckin' Bronco -- breaking in my JH600 in rural Sichuan 
    Dear Bikerdoc,
    Wow! What an offer! It's especially nice to find it after spending 10 hours today getting my JH registered and plated for Shanghai. (More on this later.)...
    ...And here it is, along with the two guys who've moved mountains to get me properly registered: Liu Zhidong and Fan Peisheng.
    Good for you! Though a Shanghai A plate would've cost you as much as the bike, no? Incidently I was just wondering do the JH600 sidecar units bolt on to the frame or are they welded? Would it be feasible to easily remove/connect the chair as I so wished? Ofcourse I am fully aware of the legality aspects, but I'm considering the option...

10. #20 Re: Buckin' Bronco -- breaking in my JH600 in rural Sichuan 
    Dear Bikerdoc,
    So how did your ride go? Did you make it into Huangshan? Didn't see you during our extensive ride... into AnHui.

For us we left Monday from Ningbo; 6 bikes, 1 Harley Davidson V-Rod, 1 Yamaha Roadstar 1300, 4 Yamaha Dragstar Calssic 1100's. with 6 riders and 2 pillions. The guys left Ningbo, early Monday morning with me leaving about 2 hours behind due to other commitments. The route taken was via Xikou towards Xincheng with a right turn taken midway before Xincheng that passes through a mountain and a 20 year old dark tunnel then out into the steps of Shenzhou before turning south towards Yiwu. At Weishan I turn right to ride around the Northern fringe of Yiwu and the commodities zone. This is much less chaotic than riding through Yiwu proper (which I personally detest). Around the back of Donyang and Pujian before in through the mountain ranges that divides Pujian from QianDaoHu/TongLu etc. Great ride though from YiWu, PuJian onwards we hit rain which is where I rendezvoused with the guys before heading west. We rode into JianDe where we stayed the night in a hotel facing the river where Nongfu Spring water is bottled, and also the first major Chinese self designed and built hydroelectric dam is located up river. Day 2 was a fine if not hot day, where we rode via a southwest route around the southern fringes of QianDaoHu over into AnHui to a small city called SheXian close to HuangShan, where we stayed the night in a small hotel/motel that fronted onto a wide street carnival full of kids rides (rollercoaster, merry-go-round as well as loads of street food stalls). Unfortunately the large 4 star hotel located on the SheXian hill across the towns river was fully booked, although they did offer me a room, but had none available for any of the other guys!
    Day 3, the final day was an early 6am start which saw us ride from SheXian to QianDaoHu via the northern route. As we rode back into the fringes of JianDe we then crossed east into SanDu and took an old winding mountain route not well used now because of the new passes and tunnels built between TongLu - DongYang. East across to Weishan via a back country road route onto the main county highway then north to Shenzhou - Xikou -Ningbo.
    This whole route took in some great roads that were fairly deserted. On day two around Anhui on a 40km stretched that was being reconstructed that best suited a trail or dual-purpose bike we came across about 2 dozen or so BMW GS's and a few others in staggered groups that were being tailed and supported by a large Cadillac SUV. Much later and some several hours behind I met a BMW 1150GS rider from Shanghai by the name of 'Garfield' who used to work for Harley Davidson Shanghai and then later Wenzhou. We chewed the fat until the rest of our group caught up. I asked Garfield about the BMW ride which he was part of and also enquired if there were any Jialing JH600's but he didn't seem to think there were any.

Since this had become a long winded post I'll cut n paste it into the 'rides' threads, complete with photos. Which I didn't get too many of since we spent most of the time riding or stopping for meals LOL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12